Tennis

Yep. But to be fair, he did go 5 (2-0 sets up but lost) to Dominic Thiem (not the top seed but Top 10 or 5 at the time) in 2021 and memorably against Nadal (that was 4 sets though but very long) in 2020.

1 Like

I agree :100:% .I would be watching the men’s final tonight if he wasn’t playing :-1:.I enjoyed the ladies final last night ,first time in years that an AO ladies final has lasted 3 sets.Great to see a new champion in women’s tennis,Aryna Sabalenka.CONGRATULATIONS also to the new Aussie men’s doubles champions,Jason Kubler and can’t remember his partner’s name :blush:

3 Likes

What a set, Tsitsipas has had some opportunities, a big one blown just then on break and set point, but Joker is just a freak!

2 Likes

Novak Djokovic has won his 10th Australian Open title, beating Stefanos Tsitsipas in straight sets, 6-3, 7-6, 7-6, in two hours and 56 minutes. It is the second time Djokovic defeated Tsitsipas in a tennis major final.

The result means Djokovic will return to No.1 in the world with Tsitsipas at No.3, and Carlos Alcarez at No.2.

Over 839,000 fans attended the tournament over the past 14 days.

3 Likes

An all-time Grand Slam record anywhere in the world, apparently

3 Likes

It was a good final. Sure, it was three sets, but the second and third sets were close, and won in tiebreaks.

This marks Djokovic’s 22nd Grand Slam win, equalising with Rafael Nadal.

2 Likes

Yeah, it felt so much longer than that, a really quality Final, absolute clutch from the real king

3 Likes

Good final to watch despite the straight sets win

Second and third sets were really good, it’s a shame tsitsipas’ great tennis will not be reflected in the scoreline.

I was sensing a few anti-vax dog whistles in the post match coverage. Djokovic still convinced that he was a big victim and that some injustice happened to him. He made his choices and should take responsibility for his own actions.

1 Like

If Novak hadn’t been allowed to return to Australia this year for the AO ,we would have another men’s AO champion today. I really feel sorry for Tsitsipas,if he’d had a different opponent he would have been the one holding up the trophy last night :confused:

4 Likes

It is always better to have the best players at each tournament no matter how boring some people might find the idea of the same person winning again and again. That should just make the other players want to work harder to get better, like Tsitsipas said during the trophy ceremony.

Although I didn’t see much complaining when Federer was dominating the tour.

1 Like

The difference is Federer isn’t an arrogant crybaby.

5 Likes

People don’t hate Djokovic because he wins, they hate him because he is a dick.

5 Likes

Yes I agree

That is your perception, many people don’t feel that way as witnessed by the reception he received from the public at this year’s AO. There was certainly no booing as many thought there would be.

And I would have to disagree about Federer having no arrogance, you just have to watch some of his press conferences to see that he has just as much arrogance as other players.

1 Like

Correct. But many do. And the representation at the match wasn’t there. For obvious reasons.

But “many people” in the crowd would have been his loyal fans so that doesn’t mean most people feel that way.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be surprised if many don’t like Djokovic, at least now (some of these may have once liked him), simply because he’s become so dominant and is all but certain to become the greatest player of all time, probably within months and cementing that over coming years, to the dismay of Federer and Nadal fans. I’m not one of these, but I think it’s a definite factor.

1 Like

I didn’t mean just this match but across the whole tournament. I work at the tennis and there was no animosity towards him from the majority of the public.

1 Like

And people try to say Novak is not anywhere near as popular as Rafa and Roger…

2 Likes