Tennis

It’s still like 5am (2am west coast) now, more than 1 set in, America have been broadcasting local time Australian Open prime time sessions for how many decades now? Seems a tad bizarre, TBH. Yes I know like 350m population and world’s movers and shakers and big ESPN deal too, but that’s why outside finals, they can capitalise on our afternoon/morning, especially for LA, their prime time.

2 Likes

Djokovic has defeated Tommy Paul in straight sets 7-5, 6-1, 6-2 to set up a showdown with Tsitsipas on Sunday night to be crowned the 2023 Australian Open mens champion.

2 Likes

The winner will usurp Carlos Alcaraz as the world number one. While I would like Tsitsipas to win, my head says Djokovic will, simply because he never loses after progressing past the quarters at Melbourne Park.

Should Djokovic lose, however, he would complete a “dinner set” - i.e. a champion and runner-up result at all the four Majors. Roger Federer “completed” this at the 2009 US Open (lost to Juan Martin del Potro) and Serena Williams completed hers at the 2016 French Open (lost to Garbine Muguruza).

Maria Sharapova never lost a US Open final - in fact she won the only one she ever contested when she beat Justine Henin(-Hardenne) in 2006.

1 Like

Groundbreaking stat there.

2 Likes

What I should’ve also said is that she finished runner-up at the other three Majors: Australian Open (07, 12 and 15), French Open (13) and Wimbledon (11), in addition to her achieving a career Grand Slam when she won at Roland Garros in 2012.

Sharapova, Federer (2009) and Djokovic (2016) all completed their Grand Slam sets at that tournament. Nadal completed his at the 2010 US Open.

Further, Sharapova lost to Serena Williams at all four Majors; needless to say, they never met in a US Open final, but they did face off in the first round of the 2019 tournament.

1 Like

Today’s matches at the AO:

WOMENS SINGLES FINAL
ELENA RYBAKINA (KAZ) [22) V ARYNA SABALENKA [4]
MEN’S DOUBLES FINAL
RINKY HIJIKATA (AUS) / JASON KUBLER (AUS) v HUGO NYS (MON) / JAN ZIELINSKI (POL)

3 Likes

This seemed to generate a lot of repsonses worldwide, including from Aussies:

Hard to disagree, why couldn’t we keep djokovic deported for another 3 years?? It was so good without him last year. So many fan favorites would have made it further this year if he wasn’t here.

1 Like

Or so many dull players could have made it also, potentially making it a dull one too.

I’m enjoying the Female Final tonight. A great three-setter. Two Aussies are in the Men’s Double Final next. And am hoping the Men’s Final with Tsitipas and Djokovic will be a thrilling match too. What a great weekend :slight_smile:

3 Likes

There’s been some exceptional matches though. Tonight’s women’s final no exception.

5 Likes

Eleven years to the day after Victoria Azarenka became the first player from Belarus to win a Grand Slam singles title, Aryna Sabalenka (also from Belarus though playing under a neutral flag) has tonight broken through for her first Major singles title!

4 Likes

I do agree and don’t agree with that post, as you say, there’s also been some epic 5 setters and look at tonight’s amazing women’s final and atmosphere and fingers crossed for a men’s final poised for something very special either way tomorrow night.

2 Likes

Fun final to watch.

Hijikata & Kubler are doubles champions after entering the 2023 Australian Open as wildcards

4 Likes

They played great. And enjoyed their post-match presentation speeches too. They wont get as much attention as “the Special K’s” did last year, but i do hope they play together for some time.

2 Likes

While Thanasi Kokkinakis took to social media overnight to congratulate the new local Aussie Open Doubles Champs back-to-back (nation) in Hijikata and Kubler… Nick Kyrgios has remained dead silent - yet happy to send line of posts on the NBA today. :eyes:

4 Likes

The AO really misses the great MC voice of Craig Willis, who did it for some 25 years. Also various other sports for decades around Melbourne, notably also the AFL. Nobody could belt out “Rogerrrr Fedeererrrr” like him.

4 Likes

He is one of those types that runs his own show, has little interest in anyone else but himself. I remember when Barty was in the final, in the rooms after, they didn’t even speak to each other. You could see he was avoiding her on the camera.

One of those types who doesn’t like listening to others/taking advice. We all have one of those in our workplaces too. We picked that up in the early days when Hewitt tried taking him under his wing (Alex took that spot instead), but that didn’t last too long as they have been at each other necks since.

However NK has the ability to drag Novak to 5 sets while Alex just falls over.

Does he really though, a Nadal or Federer style I’d agree, but those long baseline rallies and Djoker execution and precision is second to none… And that’s before any psychology / blow-ups.

1 Like

Agree, Kyrgios doesn’t have the consistency or composure to go 5 sets against the top seeds.

2 Likes