Tennis

De Minaur is 22nd seed… that seems about right …

I don’t think he would have beaten Tsitsipas or Rublev tonight either.

2 Likes

There’s only one person that could’ve beaten an in-form Novak Djokovic and he very, agonisingly, nearly did 11 years ago… Rafael Nadal. And when he makes the Final at Melbourne Park, regardless of form, he dominates. Look at those victories over Andy Murray back during peak, let alone more recently against Nadal (off peak) and Medvedev (peak). Nobody would’ve beaten Joker tonight, Kyrgios (hypothetically) might’ve been even worse. Scary stuff!

1 Like

Quarterfinals are set:

Women’s:
ELENA RYBAKINA [22] (KAZ) v JELENA OSTAPENKO [17] (LAT)
JESSICA PEGULA [3] (USA) v VICTORIA AZARENKA [24]
KAROLINA PLISKOVA [30] (CZE) v MAGDA LINETTE (POL)
ARYNA SABALENKA [5] v DONNA VEKIC (CRO)
Men’s:
KAREN KHACHANOV [18] v SEBASTIAN KORDA [29] (USA)
STEFANOS TSITSIPAS (GRE) [3] v JIRI LEHECKA (CZE)
ANDREY RUBLEV [5] V NOVAK DJOKOVIC [4] (SRB)
BEN SHELTON (USA) v TOMMY PAUL (USA)

2 Likes
3 Likes

How many times are the commentators going to refer to Azarenka as ‘The Belarusian’? I thought she was supposed to be competing stateless.

3 Likes

I just assumed it was to not publicise/showcase those nations, considering Russia’s invasion? Rather than completely wiping them out from existance in any mention.

That was the idea, but what does that mean if the players are constantly being attributed to those nations?

1 Like

Wow, 5th seed Andrey Rublev is doing worse than our Alex de Minaur did the other night! At least the aussie managed to hold two service games. Joker about to take the first set 6-1 in the Quarter Final!

Wonder if (and hope) some media will pick up on this, save for a long match and Rublev comeback, but looking unlikely r n.

Djokovic just seems to keep getting better, is peaking at the right end of the tournament.

I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t win the tournament from here.

3 Likes

Channel 9 chiefs drooling, the night before Married too, not Ash Barty or even Nadal or previous Final audiences, but it’ll still be high, especially if with local fan fave Tsitsipas and if a close/long match.

They’ll also be hoping two-time Aus Open champ Azarenka makes the Women’s Final the night before, just for some prominence and a known star, even though it’ll probably be a record low regardless. However, you’d think it’ll still dominate the night, being a Final.

2022 was one of the best AOs ever, 2023 is shaping up to be one of the worst.

The best and favorite players out early, then one unlikeable player dominating for the rest of the tournament.

Tennis Australia must be relieved the next broadcasting contract was signed before this.

5 Likes

Djokovic is just so unlikeable.

4 Likes

Nine will be happy that the BBL on Seven is also just as predictable. Scorchers and Sixers dominating there again.

1 Like

I think a lot of people here, still after @TV.Cynic spends so much time providing data and analysing, focus on average audience and total people, rather than shares%, reach and key demographics. The latter 3 are all Nine would be looking at and caring about, especially Grand Slam tennis. Similarly, the Olympics. These events are more 50/50 split male/female (crucial for say Married) and that wall-to-wall exposure for their promos, and clients’ ads, morning to overnight, every day, for two straight weeks. Doesn’t matter if it’s 6 million or 200k, an Australian, big name or no name. Long 5 setter or quick straight sets. We should look at the first week of Married vs Idol vs Survivor, especially key demos.

1 Like

5 Likes

I agree with Neil Mitchell. My read is that people have not changed their position on novaks deportation, but they have accepted that he did the crime and did the time. So to speak. And people were ready to move on without a grudge, but it’s still a fragile situation.

Disappointing to see that the Serbians and Djokovic do hold a grudge.

Di Minaur’s comments last year were pretty measured and respectful. But even if he did have stronger opinions, he is entitled to them. Djokovic is just bitter and vengeful.

6 Likes

Continuing the discussion from Nine Network - Programs and Schedules:

Fun fact: these two faced off in the quarter-finals of the 2008 Australian Open in the women’s singles. Radwanska got there after upsetting second seed Svetlana Kuznetsova in the third round; Hantuchova eventually won this match-up then lost to Ana Ivanovic in the semis.

2 Likes

I still wish he’d been banned from returning to Australia for refusing to get Covid vaccination :-1:
I’d like to see Stefanos Tsitsipas win ,he seems like a likeable guy, and he has plenty of crowd support from Melbourne’s large Greek community at his matches

6 Likes

just like Marcos Baghdatis did (albeit from the Cypriots) when he went on that memorable run to the 2006 final, where he gave Roger Federer a run for his money, as well as in 2008 when he kept us all awake during that famous late night five-setter against Lleyton Hewitt.

While we all remember that famous Hewitt-Baghdatis match from 2008, there was a sequel in 2010 which started much earlier and ended rather disappointingly as Baghdatis was forced to retire in the second set due to injury, the match having lasted just 54 minutes.

2 Likes