Tennis

Nah, i love it. The late, unpredictable finishes where they put their body on the line and jeopardise the rest of their tournament are part of the game.
Murray and Kokk will be talking about this match for the rest of their careers. This is how players earn respect.

Not everything needs to be made comfortable and convenient. What’s next? should we build an escalator for the Kokoda track?

4 Likes

I went to bed at 11pm after the 3rd set tiebreak and Murray won 7-6. Woke up at 7.30am and found out a marathon match lasting almost 6hours and close to the 2012 Men’s Final.

I watched it all.

1 Like

Why do there need to be rule changes for something that happens how often!?

Ridiculous to be even a suggestion.

3 Likes

Only the second time in the last 15 years it happened.

1 Like

Good grief, how is Tony Jones still in a job? One cringe moment after another. His fellow presenters seem done with laughing along with it. You can see Jim Courier’s career flashing before his eyes.

5 Likes

Alex De Minaur is through to the fourth round after defeating Frenchman Benjamin Bonzi in three sets.

Next for him: Dimitrov or Djokovic

3 Likes

I agree,especially as most men’s matches that go into a 5th sets can last for over 4 hours.This has to be changed for future Grand Slams

9news has apparently already decided that it is Djokovic.

3 Likes

Demon and the Djoker. This is going to be a good one.

1 Like
1 Like

Twice in 15 years we’ve had 4:30am finishes (just unfortunate they’ve both involved aussies/big names to attract the attention/headlines).

Yes every year, there is usually at least one match that goes to say 1am or 2am, but usually not aussies or big names and all-in-all it’s still rare.

Also, for interest, here is old footage of that 2008 match including old Nine News Melbourne studio and graphics, fill-in presenter and report from Christine Ahern (still there but now on Today), as well as 7 Beijing watermark and John Alexander and another mainstay in Jim Courier. First year of blue coloured courts and that previous ‘tiled’ Melbourne logo. Match started at nearly midnight!

1 Like

The Women’s match between Azarenka and Zhu started at approx 11.35pm tonight, as the previous match went into five sets (between Tsitsipas and Sinner). Although we cannot predict how long some matches go for, but i think they should have moved the women’s match to another “major court” at at earlier time.

I reckoned the Azarenka-Zhu match should have moved to Margaret Court Arena, as soon as the clash between Tsitsipas and Sinner reached the fourth set.

2 Likes

Can’t see what the excuse is here, very poor planning. It was predictable the Tsitsipas match would go the distance.

1:16am and still going on RLA…

Match finished at 2:17am AEDT

3 Likes

Had a great day at the AO yesterday. It really is a well put together event. We had a Grounds pass and spent most of the day in Kia Arena watching men’s doubles. Unfortunately both Aussie teams couldn’t get up.

7 Likes

Should’ve scheduled it before the Tsitsipas match like the other grand slams

Demon- tries hard but will never make the grade. Some pretty ordinary play from him tonight.

Novak 100% in control.

Are we seeing the Demon at his best?

1 Like