Tennis

He had been on a Twitter holiday for two and a half years. Hopefully he doesn’t become an angry old man on Twitter.

He is entitled to have an opinion and in this particular case l totally agree with his opinion and l suspect a lot of other Australians would agree with what he has said.
A lot of sports journalist have a similar opinion, l remember Melbourne sports presenter Tony Jones saying something similar a few weeks ago.

1 Like

I didn’t have an opinion on his opinion.

The draw for Wimbledon 2019 was released this morning (UK time) and the newly crowned world No.1 Ashleigh Barty has an average draw, with the four most recent champions on the same side (Petra Kvitova, Serena Williams, Garbine Muguruza and Angelique Kerber).
How the Aussies fare in the draw:
1-Ashleigh Barty v Saisai Zheng (Chi)
Ajla Tomljanovic v 29-Daria Kasatkina (Rus)
Daria Gavrilova v 8-Elina Svitolina (Ukr)
Samantha Stosur v 30-Carla Suarez-Navarro (Spa)
Arina Rodionova v Taylor Townsend (US)
25-Alex de Minaur v Marco Cecchinato (Ita)
Nick Kyrgios v Jordan Thompson
John Millman v Hugo Dellien (Bol)
Matt Ebden v 24-Diego Schwartzman (Arg)
Bernard Tomic v Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (Fra)
Alexei Popyrin v Pablo Carreno-Busta (Spa)

1 Like

1 Like

Australia’s Ash Barty put on a clinic and is the first Australian through to Wimbledon this far into the tournament since 2010. :facepunch::clap::smiley:

1 Like

1 Like

Serena Williams and Andy Murray have teamed up to play mixed doubles at Wimbledon this year.

Alison Riske has proved she is no fluke. The day after beating world No.1 (and Aussie) Ashleigh Barty, Riske pushed Serena Williams all the way before losing in three sets. Riske will be one of the names to look for during the remainder of this WTA season and the US Open.

1 Like

And shows how brilliant Serena Williams still is, despite her core group of haters. Kind of glad Barty didn’t have to face her now

Roger Federer the eight-time Wimbledon champion has made more tennis history after he sealed his place in the semis with a historic 100th win at the All England Club with a victory over Kei Nishikori.
Roger now meets Rafael Nadal in the semi-final for the 40th instalment of their compelling rivalry. The two haven’t clashed at Wimbledon since the 2008 final.

Roger has broken another record at Wimbledon this year.

2019 Singles Finals -

1 Like

As yours truly doesn’t have work Mondays, I can delightfully say I had the pleasure of watching that entire beauty of a game. The best final I have seen in a long time. Incredible.

Djokovic a freak, Federer unlucky. Final set breaker contentious.

Night night time now.

I stayed up until around 1am and then had to call it a night… I probably should have just gone to bed early and got up at 4.30 to watch the end of that final set!!

Well done to Djokovic! At the rate he’s playing he is a good shot to be pretty close to Federer’s Grand Slam record by the end of next year. It would be amazing to see him with the US as well.

1 Like

3 Likes

Greatest rivalry. Respect. Sportsmanship.
Novak deserves the win last night.

3 Likes

According to the event’s Instagram, next year’s Brisbane International will become a WTA-only event, from January 6-12. It will overlap with the last three days of men’s ATP Cup (January 3-6) which will share matches at Queensland Tennis Centre.

3 Likes

Ashleigh Barty is on the front cover of Stellar magazine this week. Shame that the magazine is not available with The Sunday Mail in her hometown of Brisbane, however I hope the article will be published in the paper.

UPDATE: Barty’s interview is in U on Sunday, which is free with today’s The Sunday Mail Queensland.

1 Like

Canadian teenager Bianca Andreescu upsets Serena Williams in US open final. The Canadian deserves the win.

1 Like