Tennis

Nick Kyrgios has withdrawn of the Australian Open - going by the commentators of Nine’s coverage just minutes ago.

Yep he’s withdrawn due to his knee.

3 Likes

Kyrgios could also be in hot water for riding an e-scooter on Melbourne streets without wearing a helmet.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/tennis/nick-kyrgios-lashes-out-over-backlash-after-escooter-image-goes-viral/news-story/62794053fb52f5ed88e56fa38a9e5d7d

1 Like

Headlines gone from “Nick Kyrgios to be investigated by Police for helmet-less eScooter ride”… To “Kyrgios OUT of Aus Open”. Bombshell news, extraordinary few days of major wirhdrawals. Nine would be gutted, of course no knowing how far he’ll go and who he’ll play, but always potential ratings bonanzas like his Round 4 match vs Nadal in 2020 which rated over 1.9m metro broadcast on Nine.

2 Likes

Really bitter blow losing the world number 21 :wink:

5 Likes

Who would have thought that after the last 3 years of pandemic, it would be 2023 that would have a decimated draw.

5 Likes

The problem with Kyrgios is, he very well could’ve gone out tomorrow night against a no name and media would’ve been all over it as much as today “disaster” etc, even in straight sets! He’s such a mystery man, always a big question mark. Has a good year, has a stinker year. Yes, he’s a lucrative commercial asset and has proven again and again his popularity and worth (to an extent), but so much is over-blown and media driven. I reckon it gives up and comes like Gadecki and Kubler and developing stars like de Minaur (forever under the radar to Kyrgios’ hype/fame and he lets media know about it) shine. Sure, give Nick benefit of the doubt, genuine injury, but his polarising nature and fickle performance (regardless of the past 12 months) there’ll be plenty of detractors who aren’t shedding tears he’s out. I’m personally neither here nor there on the bloke.

Good opinion piece from veteran Daily Telegraph tennis / olympics writer Julian Linden on Kyrgios and I agree, saying he was never really a chance at Melbourne Park anyway, but his favourite surface and where he made last year’s final in London might’ve cost him now:

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/tennis/comment-nick-kyrgios-shock-australian-open-exit-set-to-cost-him-ultimate-career-goal/news-story/9343fe13e2a75dcf889223bbffca84c7

1 Like

Another Australian Open where the “hawk-eye technology” (forget the correct terminology) is used at all the matches, instead of lines-people. I know that if we have the technology, then use it, but having no lines-people just adds less excitement to the game. Like when the players challenge the call.

1 Like

I made the same comment earlier (not on here). It’s almost like it’s very lifeless out there on the court with just the players and a couple ball kids.

The ‘out’ and ‘fault’ system recorded calls are annoying too.

2 Likes

What’s the crowd numbers like at this years tournament . Is anyone here from Melbourne going to go?

2 Likes

Expecting records, believe they got that today for D1. Yours truly is going on Day 4, first time in 4 years, can’t wait! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Awesome I was thinking of going in 2024 , wonder if it will be worth it. I probably go to a day Match though.

Do you know which game your seeing?

1 Like

Having attended much of my lifetime, only missing a few (plus the last few years), there is no greater event, IMO (apart from the other slams and Olympics & Comm Games). A must for your bucket list to tick off! Wait for weather forecast (avoid super hot or super wet days) and buy a Ground Pass even the night before and you can see everything (queues/capacity permitting) bar RLA and MCA - they’re separate tickets and expensive - but guarenteed one of the world’s best such as Nadal - although not as valuable as it once was with some legends now retired and many up-and-comers and the likes of Kyrgios preferring the largest Ground Pass stadium in JCA. You might even consider getting in months early when they first come out and buy a RLA ticket to say a semi-final or one of the Finals as well :slight_smile:

They mentioned 75K through today. A record I understand.

I’m considering but haven’t committed yet. I did go for the first time in 2019 before covid shut us up. Had a ground pass as Sully mentioned and that was a great day / night.

2 Likes

That year was my last too. It was also Nine’s first year there, remember going to MCA forecourt / Birrarung Marr entry bridge to see their brand new studio set-up. I also remember hobbling around Melbourne Park after dislocating my knee weeks earlier, a single step up any stairs was like an earthquake to my body, excruciating.

1 Like

The weather delays have wreaked havoc today.

Has the heat limit always been 35 degrees? I swear I’ve been at the tennis, baking in much hotter weather than today.

What happens if there is a bad heat wave and every day of the tournament is over 35. Not out of the question.

1 Like

Today they are predicting rain delays.

2 Likes

Looks very overcast on the TV though not a lot of rain on the radar; enough to be extremely annoying to the organisers.

3 Likes

Well and truly raining in Melbourne (again) now.

1 Like

Hard to imagine a worse start for the AO. The greats; Serena, Federer and Barty retired. Alcaraz, Kyrgios, Venus, and Tomanovic injured, fan favourites; Wawrinka, Berretini, Thiem, Muguruza all out in the first round, bad weather forecast for most of the tournament and now Nadal is looking wobbly.

2 Likes