Tennis

The inaugural ATP Cup will be held from January 3 to 12, 2020. Female players will be disadvantaged as the Sydney International will probably be replaced by ATP Cup, leaving one less warm-up tournament before the Australian Open.

1 Like

Tennis Australia seemingly indicating there will be a replacement tournament.

1 Like

Bahahaha those two towers Kyrgios and Tomic been handed a brick wall of a draw :joy: Serves em right IMO. Though funnier things have happened before, so I should be careful

1 Like

Especially with Raonic a beatable commodity, even if Milos should win.

Andy Murray announced his retirement from Tennis due to chronic hip injuries, he is hoping to finish his career at Wimbledon this year.

1 Like

I actually feel a bit sorry for Andy Murray, who is arguably the unluckiest player out of the Big Four (Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Murray). Murray could have won more Grand Slam titles (he reached the Australian Open final five times) if not for domination by the other three.

1 Like

Andy though actually has something Roger wants, a Singles Olympic Gold Medal (he’s won the last 2).

2 Likes

What’s the story behind the new name for Show Court 2, 1573 Arena?

1 Like

Show court 2 at Melbourne Park is now sponsored by Guojiao 1573, the top brand of Luzhou Laojiao from China (liquor brewed from fermented sorghum). Luzhao Laojiao replaced Jacob’s Creek as the top liquor sponsor of Australian Open late last year.

Andy Murray’s run to the Australian Open came to an end after being beaten by Bautista Agut. The match went for four hours. Oh boy. What a heartbreak loss for the Scottish. Thank you Andy, what a wonderful career in tennis. #ThanksAndyMurray

Well then…

Huge upset at the Australian Open tonight with reigning champion Roger Federer losing to Greece’s Stefanos Tsitsipas in four sets. The duo previously met in the Hopman Cup earlier this month in which Federer just won 7-6 7-6. I think the men’s final will be between Djokovic and Nadal now.

What a match though! My God it was good wasn’t it.

Kind of hoped Federer could take it to a 5th set (although you could see it probably wasn’t his night and this tournament I never predicted him to make it to the final again, that’d have been unbelievable).

By well after 11pm, I’m glad this new kid from Greece wrapped it up and yes what a win

Roger Federer is a class act with or without a win. :switzerland: :switzerland:

Thanks Bruce, thought it was pretty special myself

Novak Djokovic Vs. Rafael Nadal for the final! Holy shit!

3 Likes

This year’s Australian Open finals were two totally contrasting matches. Naomi Osaka v Petra Kvitova was enthralling but Djokovic v Nadal was just one sided.

2 Likes

The women’s final was actually longer than the men’s this year. Wonder when the last time that happened in the Aus Opeb?

Not sure. But I know the women’s final outrated the men’s one year recently (was it Kerber’s 1.7m metro in whatever year that was?)

Andy Murray has confirmed he has undergone hip resurfacing surgery.