Ten (West Digital Television)

West Digital Television tonight:

7 Likes

the Store Demo Loop Channel. The GOLDEN age of television. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

This looks appalling.

It and 9Go! are atrocious.

2 Likes

Terrestrial or VAST? Or are both just as bad?

Those were terrestrial. They’re just as bad as eachother, but I’ll post a direct comparison in a sec…

1 Like

Put 9Gem on SD and make Nine HD for the love of god.

Watching major general/sports live broadcasts at 1 pixel resolution must be fantastic.

Don’t be fooled by that large resolution though. It still breaks up terribly during sport/fast movement

2 Likes

I suppose as well, do you have a VAST fed (and thus re-muxed at the transmitter site) or a directly fed transmitter, that is if WIN/WDT even do that in WA, I assume GWN still have those various ad regions?

My thought was just around the idea that maybe it’s being re-encoded 2 or 3 times from the original output.

Oh dear.

What are the bitrates of these channels and how much do they have available?

Terrestrial DVB-T MPEG-2 ~4.0-4.4 MBit:

VAST DVB-S2 MPEG-4 ~1.0-1.5 MBit:

Basically identically atrocious.

3 Likes

Might as well just put a phone in front of a TV in Perth and facetime every single person that gets WDT instead because that would be better than that picture quality.
Do WIN and GWN7 have the same issues with their picture?

There aren’t any directly fed sites left. They’re all VAST-fed and remuxed on site.

Yes they do, but they’re carried on VAST to feed those areas.

Definitely the source at MediaHub. Mildura, Griffith and Eastern SA are the same quality.

1 Like

Oh god.

3 Likes

Yeah but Imparja is also 1.0-1.5 MBit and it’s fine. Pretty normal for DVB-S2 to use these kinds of bandwidths on SD services.

I really hope WIN upgrades their link to Nine before July so these channels improve in quality. But I doubt it.

1 Like

Ah interesting - can VAST decoders switch out the correct one for your region, or do those show up on unique LCNs? What’s the second 7mate there?

You’d think there’d be call to starting to stop re-encoding, so they aren’t constrained so much by terrestrial capacity.

Ideally go to main channel HD, re-encode that down to SD MPEG-2 as a single legacy service for old receivers, then pass that and all the rest straight through in MPEG-4.

(and I suppose to make this post WDT relevant - you’d really hope they get 10HD by doing just that)

VAST uses bouquets which are linked to the smart card’s registered location, so it switches the correct relevant GWN7 in the channel list. The other two can’t be accessed. My registered location is the Goldfields, which means my VAST box is assigned the GAW bouquet which gives me the same GWN7 that’s shown terrestrially in the GWN7 Albany and Wheatbelt/Goldfields region.

The other two WA bouquets are GSW (South-West) and GNW (North-West) which show the remaining two GWN7’s respectively.

The first 7mate is the HD one for GSW and GAW. The second is an SD version for just GNW.

Absolutely there should be. Since 2013 when this launched, we’ve seen multiple new channels and primary HD in all other regional markets now. As it stands, the current VAST-to-DVB-T setup can’t handle more than 1xHD,4xSD in MPEG-2 and can’t handle MPEG-4 mixed in with MPEG-2 at all as evidenced by WIN’s transmission.

4 Likes

West Digital Television -

Nine Network SD feed -

(both MPEG2 and same resolution)

5 Likes

So some viewers are stuck with an SD only 7mate?

Is WIN HD MPEG-2 terrestrially? I wonder if they would continue that structure or make Bold upscaled HD to fit with it just replacing Gem presumably once WDT goes back to Ten?

I assume the last time One basically stayed on the HD channel in many regional areas, but it would be odd to deliberately switch back to that.

1 Like

On terrestrial, yes. On VAST in GNW territory they get both - 7mate HD in the usual spot on 63, and 7mate SD on 73.

No, it’s MPEG-4 HD. WIN bucks the trend by being the only network trying to combine MPEG-4 with MPEG-2 using VAST as a source. They struggle to maintain bandwidth for each stream for obvious reasons. Someone visits a Tx, makes adjustments, then just leaves it to deteriorate to what it is now; unwatchable Sky News on WIN:

and very blocky WIN HD. Until the next manual adjustment. Digital TV in regional WA is just a fucking mess. It’s outdated and of very poor quality.

I’m putting my money on exactly that. Bare minimum, no primary HD, BOLD in upscaled. They don’t really give their JV’s any special treatment unlike SCA.

3 Likes