Ten Sport

Surely it was a dud deal from the beginning? A huge amount of cash for a short carnival that is slowly losing its popularity and wasn’t even a FTA exclusive.

If gambling advertising is further restricted (as it already is in SA), it would also make the rights less desirable you would think.

4 Likes

Correct. 10 payed way too much for it. Hence why Seven walked away.

Could see Nine picking this up.

7 Likes

Going with 7 would potentially mean not having to go head to head with the Sydney races. I think having them all as part of the same coverage would be a win for both carnivals

5 Likes

If you lose all sense of control over the broadcast and you’re limited in selling the advertising around that then it wouldn’t be really a good deal for a one off event. The value lay in the add ons and cross promotion. It will suit seven just to roll it into their existing racing coverage and as it’s not exclusive it sounds right up their alley with their fetish for simulcast deals.

2 Likes

I pointed out a while ago that if this were to happen (and was seemingly looking like heading that way), that’d have essentially become the ‘new Seven’, taking almost everything they once had. Just need Supercars now!

And they’d have Australian Open, a major winter sport (NRL), Olympics/Winter Olympics/Comm Games, Melbourne Cup plus other tennis, golf and rugby.

And what about Victoria 2026?

1 Like

I can see 10 looking at the rights for the following:

• Roland Garros Tennis
  • Wimbledon Tennis
  • Sydney to Hobart Race

Tied up to Nine for the forseeable future.

Doesn’t rate that well on its own anyway.

2 Likes

It will no doubt bolster its sport line-up during November (which at the moment only has Australian Open and Australian PGA Championship golf, plus Davis Cup and Billie Jean King Cup finals if Australia make it).

But as Seriously pointed out, future restrictions on gambling advertising plus declining FTA ratings of Melbourne Cup could count against Nine, not to mention Seven’s existing deal with Racing NSW which sees the network showing Golden Eagle on Victoria Derby day and The Big Dance on Melbourne Cup day.

Rights come up after 2023

True, but Nine did extend their contract with Tennis Australia for the Australian Open rights, and having all four grand slams is a key pillar of Stan Sport as a platform, so it would not be at all shocking if Nine extended these rights as well. Plus, I am not sure that strategically it would be a good move for Ten. They aren’t exactly ratings drawcards and I can’t see how they would be leveraged to improve Ten’s other offerings. I have said before that I do believe that Ten need to go after some more sports where they can to rebuild their profile, but these rights could just be a waste of time and money for them.

5 Likes

They need to go after Supercars. Almost like the late 90’s, ten required a sport and the sport that required 10 was Supercars.

Both are needing a major rebuild and could be the perfect match again.

3 Likes

I think you’re on the right track with motorsport, but I’d argue that Ten/Paramount should go for Formula 1 as well at the same time.
Supercars current deal definitely expires at the end of 2025, while there are mixed reports about when the current F1 deal ends (some reports say 2025, others say just ‘multi-year’- which given that beIN and Foxtel’s deal that is about to expire was described as ‘multi-year’ two years ago, doesn’t mean much).

10 would be good for Supercars as the series is probably at it’s lowest point now since those days in the '90s and facing a few questions about it’s future long term. It’s also skewing older and older and struggling to draw younger viewers in, which is where 10 would definitely help.

Having both series would go a long way to reclaiming the title of the ‘home of motorsport’ they claimed for many years in the early 2000s. With the success of the Netflix series, F1 is arguably more popular than Supercars these days (and would certainly skew younger demographic wise). F1 is also building a relationship with Paramount+ with lots of on track advertising and a future broadcast partnership would be a logical move.

4 Likes

Ten should get NBL exclusive with no simuclast deal with ESPN. 10 to air Friday, Saturday and Sunday as well as all finals and finals. Every match on P+ similar to their football content.

1 Like

Whilst a good idea, I think it’s the current NBL model where they produce their own coverage and pump it out on as many platforms as possible to get as many viewers to have access. I think that of course is not a good idea if you want your product to be considered as premium but I doubt they’ll do it.

Any sport worth their salt would sign exclusive only deals with significant free to air portions attached.

3 Likes

No that’s silly. They already have a niche summer sport that they are paying significant dollars for. Save their money when Supercars is available is a much better idea

1 Like

Supercars and get back full F1/MotoGP rights is another option.

1 Like

ESPN already has the rights to the Boomers and Opals, So I can see the NBL sticking with them & giving 10 the Sunday 10peach games (if 10 goes for the FTA rights) as that’s the current deal. ESPN also airs the NBA, WNBA, and WNBL so they would want to keep the NBL.

3 Likes

Big races on 10 Bold/paramount split in primetime and the Australian Rounds on 10

10 used to have exclusive F1/Supercars/MotoGP in its heyday. Also a revival of RPM

Looks like channel 10 is broadcasting the Victoria 2026 Commonwealth Games. Stumbled across this while looking for something else!

1 Like