Ten Sport

yet. wait for finals and state of origin. the H&A season is not a huge ratings winner but it gives them hours of content a week they would need to fill some other way

1 Like

Of course, but I was referring to the months of home and away telecasts. And am aware it dominates its timeslot in Sydney and Brisbane. But on a five city total people and key demo basis (shares and raw ratings), as well as rankings, promotional benefits and lead-ins it doesn’t do what it used to say 7+ years ago. I guess Fox League (especially since being allowed to call all games themselves) has hurt - so jury could be out on AFL if Fox Footy are finally one day allowed to do this.

why does it sound familiar regarding Ten and Tabcorp. As this time around Ten is really making a play for it, last time about the same time last year was just a peek at it. It could be good for Ten to be the horse racing channel.

Would Ten provide their own faces to the broadcast and cross to Sky’s commentators or will it be like the A-League.

And that’s where you answered your own question.

It brings in some cash!!

2 Likes

ViacomCBS’ Network Ten and streaming service Paramount+ remain in advanced talks about securing the broadcast rights to A-League and W-League. Separate sources said that deal could be signed this week and would mark the first local sports acquisition for Paramount+, which launches locally in August.

Nine, the publisher of this masthead, has also submitted a bid for the A-League and W-League involving streaming subsidiary Stan. However, sources indicate that the club-run Australian Professional Leagues - which is leading negotiations, having gained independence from Football Australia last year - favours Ten’s proposal due to much stronger financial terms. Both would involve a free-to-air element.

5 Likes

If Ten gain this, it will be another massive change in the way sport rights are going to be played out.

Ten & Nine have thrown their hands into the mix, using their online presents to gain rights, giving Foxtel some much needed competition.

Is this also the end of these networks signing deals that gives coverage to Foxtel/Kayo? Or will sporting bodies give rights out differently. In which fox doesn’t get the rights but Kayo does etc.

2 Likes

I guess if the rights all go to one network as seen in this case and Stan/Nine and Rugby, it would give networks greater flexibility in what games they show on FTA and even when they show them too.

4 Likes

Totally agree. I looked at the ratings for AFL / NRL on Friday night and thought it a FTA network had exclusive rights, how big there overall ratings would be.

Mixing it with a competitor is only going to get you so far, exclusive across your own network would work.

Interesting times ahead on how networks and sporting bodies will play this card.

1 Like

This bidding war of sorts can only be good for football in Australia, providing it gets the right amount (not so much the TV rights for the FIFA WWC, more so for the domestic competitions). Do think the WWC needs to be on FTA in some form however.

The days of SBS playing a major role in the sport here sadly appear to be numbered, and Optus Sport runs the very real risk of being muscled out in the coming years, particularly if Stan and/or Paramount+ want the EPL. Interesting times indeed…

2 Likes

The obvious question is where does all of this leave Seven which doesn’t have an SVOD service?

Do they decide to go down the route Fox is heading in the US and focus on securing rights for mainly their networks or do they decide to introduce either an SVOD or a premium aspect to 7Plus in order not to be left behind?

1 Like

They’ll probably partner up with someone like Amazon or something. But they do need an SVOD of some sort or they won’t be able to keep up.

Seven successfully used a subscription service for their premium Olympic coverage from Rio (36 streams etc) via an app. I think that approach would work with any sport.

3 Likes

Didn’t they have Presto?

Key words: Used to.

2 Likes

As mentioned earlier - 10 Sport has the A-League. Again. Along with Paramount+.

Ten was there when the PSL started and had previously broadcast Sydney club soccer live on weekend afternoons.

I know. It’s where Les Murray got his start.

4 Likes

Good to see 10 returning to premium sport after losing the Big Bash League rights. 10 reinvented AFL and BBL coverage and no doubt will do the same thing for football

6 Likes

Details from 10 of A League deal

2 Likes