Ten (Southern Cross)

The only thing that’s stopping them is money, which could be overcome if they really wanted to, not that it’s going to happen.

Because WIN’s noodle updates are going to be so much better.
WIN are going to have enough dramas getting sales offices in Newcastle, Port Macquarie, Coffs Harbour and the Gold Coast setup.

2 Likes

@webguy if WIN buys NRN they would get the station/company as a whole. That would include all facilities; offices and staff

@SydneyCityTV I think WIN would launch local news into Newcastle and Northern NSW. The TV market is 2.2 million people and larger than Perth and Adelaide. There is money to be made. My guess is they would
Do it from the Wollongong studios.

Really? I think that WIN are more likely to axe existing local bulletins before establishing some in Newcastle & Northern NSW (if WIN was to buy NRN, of course).

A full WIN News service would probably have absolutely no hope of succeeding in the Northern NSW market, unless it’s a particularly compelling offering. And let’s be realistic here: Slow paced, pre-recorded bulletins presented from Wollongong with probably Geoff Phillips presenting would NOT be a compelling offering for Northern NSW as an alternative to NBN (Nine) News or Prime7 News in the case of the North West/Coast regions.

6 Likes

SCA wants to finalise the deal within the next three weeks.

[quote]Southern Cross is eager to conclude the talks before it posts its half-year results on February 23.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/media/broadcast/southern-cross-sets-date-for-win-asset-swap/news-story/0cd62a1a4d86fc564b78767b04495234[/quote]

2 Likes

I think they’d launch, yes.

For people outside of Newcastle - (northern NSW cities) they already get “local” news from Canberra or Newcastle In the pre-record format. Getting it from the gong is not that different.

Would it topple NBN, no way.

But going into Newcastle and NNSW with a conepletly unknown brand (WIN) they are going to have to do something to connect with the local audience. NRN is already the lowest rated Ten affiliate in the country. Swapped to the obscure and unknown brand of WIN is unlikely to give those ratings any help.

They need to do something to help boost sales and revenue. Local news (whilst perhaps it may run at a small loss) would do that.

All of the country we know a strong local news brand helps boost overall ratings across a station.

And with NNSW being a market of 2.2m - even a mildly successful news would
Pull in triple viewers than say WIN newsTasmania (500k)

Presumably pretty much all NRN sales would be done out of offices shared with radio - so I’d think they would need their own places very shortly after purchase.

Given the size of the market I can’t see that being a problem though.

1 Like

[quote=“KICK-IT, post:150, topic:359”]
if WIN buys NRN they would get the station/company as a whole. That would include all facilities; offices and staff
[/quote]In the 4 locations I mentioned, NRN shares offices with the SCA radio stations. SCA have streamlined operations in these areas very well with most sales staff selling radio and TV inventory. There may be some surplus staff that WIN inherit, but they would definitely need to find more if their own. They would also need new premesis as the SCA offices aren’t really big enough to host WIN staff for long.

Tamworth, Taree and Lismore are stand alone TV offices since SCA have no radio stations in these locations, so they would obviously be handed over to WIN.

2 Likes

I’m sure WIN are still kicking themselves about selling NWS and STW to Nine back in 2013 so while buying NRN from SCA would be in WINs favour, would it be in their best interests to sell a radio station to SCA? I know nothing about WINs radio operations

I get the feeling we may need to start a new thread to discuss these possible sales

Good money was made buying and selling Nine Adelaide and Perth, but you are right only one should have been sold, not both.

1 Like

Graphics have a big part to do with news bulletins. WIN will be silly to introduce news bulletins in Northern NSW with the current sets and graphics. Given it’s currently a station airing Ten network programs I can’t see WIN expanding local news into Northern NSW.

2 Likes

graphics have nothing to do with setting up a news service in a region, which is what the OP was getting at.

Money and ratings are the focus. Not graphics.

1 Like

SCA will not be selling Northern NSW to WIN: http://www.radiotoday.com.au/news/whats-new/10422-sca-deal-with-win-won-t-happen.html

2 Likes

Knowing cheap ass WIN the deal they were willing to bring to the table was not attractive to SCA

Northern NSW viewers should’t be to disappointed with the deal between SCA & WIN falling through, it’s not like they are missing out on much with WIN, at least you won’t have to put up with a big blue mappy watermark, poor picture quality etc :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Exactly; this is a reprieve for Nthn NSW viewers. They get to watch Ten without mappy for at least a while longer.
SCA won’t be so happy though, as not only do they not get to add a Wollongong radio station to one of their networks, but they have to keep doing the work for Ten in a single (aggregated) region (as opposed to the large footprint for their affiliations with Nine and Seven).

3 Likes

I can’t see it happening, but as a thought experiment, what would happen if Ten bought NRN? How would they manage it, similar to Nine and NBN or differently?

1 Like

Perhaps WIN wanted to buy NRN but not sell SCA a radio station at the same time…

Probably nothing special these days if Ten owned NRN. Perhaps they’d roll the management of it into Brisbane (same as 9NBN) but otherwise I can’t see anything else different happening. Maybe an attempt at local news bulletins, otherwise two minute updates and Ten News coming from Sydney

It’d be more interesting to see what would happen if affiliations swapped once more in the future and what would happen if SCA or WIN owned the station at that point

SCA sells northern NSW television assets to WIN for $55m https://mumbrella.com.au/sca-sells-nsw-tv-assets-win-55m-435161

7 Likes

Surprising developments indeed. Will be interesting to see how this affects any local news in this license area moving forward.

1 Like

I wonder when this will be locked in and ready to go? 1 July?

WIN will need to move out of SCA’s offices in Newcastle, Gold Coast and Coffs Harbour (or SCA moves out of the old NRN-11 building) and SCA will stop producing those “noodle” updates possibly replaced by WIN produced “noodle” updates. Interesting times indeed.

2 Likes