Ten (Southern Cross)

I know WIN aren’t particularly liked, but that’s the best thing that could’ve happened to Ten NNSW.

SCA are in deep financial trouble, they’re currently selling off as much of their assets as possible to reduce the debt.

I’ve said it before, & I still think SCA will tank in the next few years, & there’ll be fire sales all over the place.

Also if SCA radio keeps doing what Em at 2DAYFM did recently, Nine Entertainment won’t be helping or bailing SCA out any further, it could also cause problems with the SCA/Nine regional affiliation agreements, so NNSW is now clear of any problems that may arise, as Ten NNSW is no longer connected to SCA, & NBNTV is owned directly by Nine Entertainment.

I wonder what WIN will do in Newcastle, Ten is currently in the SCA Radio studios at Charlestown, but they’re moving out to new premises later in the year, will WIN buy the old studio complex & stay, or move Ten somewhere else?

1 Like

That’s going to be a big day for television then.

SC10 becomes WIN

C31 Is switched off as well as 44 and WTV.

1 Like

Provided that they don’t switch off earlier, like TVS and Briz31 did.

From the SCA media release:

[quote]These conditions include receipt of FIRB
approval for WIN’s acquisition[/quote]

Bruce Gordon is considered a foreigner despite being an Australian citizen? The Bermudian location of a couple of his companies must be deemed foreign, I think, despite him owning them and his main holding company having a North Sydney address.

2 Likes

With the sale of NRN, could this finally push Southern Cross to switch GDS/BDN to Ten and SGS/SCN to Nine, aligning with the regional norm? Currently, Nine GDS/BDN is on 8, 80 and 88, while the rest of Southern Cross’ Nine stations are on 5, 50-56.

1 Like

I think you are referring to GTS/BKN there.

The main GTS / BKN is not aligned to any network but does have Seven Programming and is on LCN 6

If SCA wanted to, they could change SC9 Via GTS / BKN to LCN 5 and put SC10 onto LCN 8.

That would align all of the afflite channels to their proper channels ex Ten = 8 and 9 = 5.

Nope, pretty sure he isn’t.

GTS/BKN is currently aligned to Seven on LCN 6.
SGS/SCN is currently aligned to Ten on LCN 5.
GDS/BDN is currently aligned to Nine on LCN 8.

Why would they bother?

1 Like

And if I’m correct, SGS/SCN dropped the “Southern Cross Ten” brand in favour of just ‘Ten’ not too long ago. Was it with the affiliate change, or pre-digital switchover?

I’m with @TelevisionAU, why would they bother

It would serve no purpose ultimately. Viewers don’t care about ‘aligning’ with other broadcast areas otherwise everyone would be crying “Why isn’t Southern Cross on channel 7” “Why isn’t WIN HD on 13” etc etc

Well no if we’re still following what ‘was’ the FreeTV plan then the proper channels would be Ten Affiliate on 5 and Nine Affiliate on 8

WIN will need to deal with having their new NRN channels on 5, 50, 51, 52, 54 and 55 since, just like they wouldn’t swap with SCA, there is no way Nine is going to swap NBN’s channels for WIN

5 Likes

The regional affiliates were given different numbers to the metro networks to prevent signal overlap.

The LCN numbers were assigned to the regional networks based on their affiliation, they were not assigned collectively for affiliation alone (e.g. WIN, NBN and others were each assigned 8 because they affiliated with Nine, versus, the Nine affiliates are on and will always be on 8); otherwise, WIN would’ve been forced to move to 5.

1 Like

I know the chances of this happening anytime soon are rather unlikely, but with the exception of areas (eg: Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, NSW Central Coast, Wollongong, etc.) which actually have significant overlap with the metropolitan TV broadcasts, the regional stations should just be allowed to use the same set of LCNs that the metro areas do.

2 Likes

Agreed. And in the overlap areas, whichever signal is weakest should be relegated to the hundreds LCNs.

But in areas like the Gold Coast all the stations have the same power and transmitter site so there is no difference in reception between the metro station and the regional.

4 Likes

I’d have preferred if the affiliates generally used the same LCNs as their network and just used others in overlap areas, but SCA told me that when WIN refused to swap LCNs (when in southern NSW/ACT/Vic/etc. SC Ten became Nine & WIN became the Ten affiliate) they’d considered using the 9 series LCNs but didn’t want to cause confusion in overlap areas (including possibly either SC9 or Nine metro getting high numbered LCNs - it’s inconsistent because it depends on signal strength at the time the tuning happens), so for consistency in their broadcast area, and for advertising (the affiliation change, e.g. NineOn5.com.au, & since) they decided to stick with the 5 series LCNs.

It’s difficult to argue with their logic.

3 Likes

Plus you would end up with half the markets using one set of numbers, half using another set. Why create unnecessary confusion?

When does the sale finalise? (of NRN)

What day is ‘lose’ day for northern NSW?

1 Like

SCA have just submitted an application for most useless EPG description of the year.

8 Likes

Same on Eleven via Ten Central :stuck_out_tongue:

8 Likes

That’s my favourite movie. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like