Ten (Southern Cross)

Both - and now Darwin for the first time as well

NNSW - 57
GTS/BKN - 57
Darwin - 75

https://www.itvsn.com.au/php_apps/pages/channel/message_board.php

2 Likes

Darwin previously had TVSN on 74, judging by this promo which aired on SC10 Wollongong by mistake in December 2013:

Thanks to @SouthCoastTV for that upload!

1 Like

Thanks @xyz223 @Jer . It’s unsettling to know TVSN now has a truly national reach like ABC and SBS, produces the most Australian content of any network and the most live to air content, all for a god damned shopping channel.

3 Likes

SCA may sell Northern NSW to WIN: https://mumbrella.com.au/southern-cross-media-group-and-win-enter-discussions-over-media-assets-deal-423143

8 Likes

I wonder what will happen with the channel numbers if NRN is sold? WIN will want them on the 8x LCNs to match the rest of their network, but will Nine surrender NBN’s long-held channel number?

So there could be the possibility if NRN is sold to WIN that we see the Ten brand disappear and WIN brand being introduced to Northern NSW. Please dear god NO! :frowning:

3 Likes

If you ask me, “WIN Television Northern NSW” sounds completely wrong!

And although it pretty much goes without saying, surely the chances of WIN doing full local news services in Northern NSW (if they were to buy NRN, of course) are slim to none?

6 Likes

Probably not. Wouldn’t want to compete with the already established NBN News. Also, they probably don’t want to start their local news service in NNSW with their current graphics

3 Likes

What?

What has graphics got to do with it - try the millions and millions of dollars they’d have to spend getting a service running. That would be more an impediment than this weird fascination so many of you have with graphics.

4 Likes

WIN has to provide by regulation some sort of local content to the area so there would have to be some sort of news service but what a massive loss to NNSW viewers the loss of SC10 noodle updates will be!

5 Likes

Shame ten can’t buy the market themselves.

6 Likes

Here is the local content (material of local significance) grid for NNSW

http://www.acma.gov.au/Industry/Broadcast/Television/Local--regional-content/local-areas-and-licensees-local-regional-content-i-acma

2 Likes

I think Nine would almost certainly say no (if WIN asked), as there is no advantage in NBN/Nine changing, only potential unnecessary confusion.

4 Likes

Remember it was WIN that refused to swap LCNs with SCA last year, and because of that the LCNs no longer match the documented standard (available on ACMA’s website).

I’d love to hear the laugh from Nine if/when WIN were to ask to swap LCNs.

It’d also be nice if Ten refused the change unless the Ten branding remained on NRN (but I doubt it); the poor Northern NSW viewers will soon have mappy inflicted on them too. :frowning:

1 Like

Technically they probably can but I doubt they would want to.

1 Like

Currently the configuration of SCA’s stations in Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill are:

6 - GTS/BKN - SCTV (Seven)
8 - GDS/BDN - Nine (supplementary station)
5 - SGS/SCN - Ten

With a successful sale of NRN, would SCA finally move its primary Nine programming to SGS/SCN and move the lower-rating Ten programming to the supplementary station? It would keep to the primary “Nine on 5” configuration, and would put Ten programming on LCN 8x, the same as WIN.

Why confuse viewers?
They can ditch their separate SC branding and use Seven’s branding on LCN 6x, but I don’t see why they’d swap numbers, disrupt & annoy viewers for no real benefit.
Remember WIN wanted to confuse to keep Nine viewers on their channel, but SCA aren’t in the same situation.

All other regional Nine programming (SCA and WIN) uses the “Nine of 5” configuration while WIN’s regional Ten programming is on LCN 8x.

Bringing Spencer Gulf and Broken Hill into this may briefly confuse viewers in that area, but would be beneficial overall for both consistency and people visiting the area from other “Nine on 5” markets.

I doubt that they’d bother.
It would only cause confusion, and being a monopoly, there is no benefit to be had.

Even if it was a good idea, they probably wouldn’t bother anyway. GTS/BKN broadcast all their SD services with 128kb/s stereo audio (which sounded terrible) for a few years. It hardly seems like an operation run with enough love and attention to care about matching up LCNs with interstate operations.

1 Like

Yeah that’s what I meant. Surely more stations would be a good revenue stream. But ten aren’t in the acquisitions business. Never seem really want to expand at all as a media company

1 Like