Ten Pilot Week 2018

I don’t think that’s the right way to look at it.

Take Rove for example, well known local identity and arguably fairly popular presenter - Show Me The Movie was ordinary and rated accordingly.

Who’s to say he has any advantage over any of the possible lesser known talent fronting any of these pilots?

His Saturday night show could rate poorly and not get any traction from the viewing public who vote for whichever show they’d like to see get a full series order, but a smaller budget show with relatively unknown personality could resonate more with audiences and be picked up.

I think TEN have a good idea of what they want to sign-up for 2019 already. They are just waiting on the feedback for the final go ahead. I don’t think it’s going to be like a Big Brother phone poll.

1 Like

It’ll either get a reasonable audience (for Ten) or fail spectacularly.

I really like the look of this. Finally something other than boring dating shows.

5 Likes

The Enterainment Network. Ten going back to their roots

5 Likes

Yeah I really like the look of this and I am glad they are going to air something on Saturday. There is a lot of shows that have the hosts name in it so I do feel a lot of it is same same but its a step in a good direction. Drunk History is my favourite out of that list and I really hope it gets picked up.

I’m excited! I’ve wanted more comedy/variety on TV for years now and this seems like a novel way to try it out. All of this looks good to me (except Trial by Kyle because…Kyle.)

I wonder how many shows they are likely to commission out of this? Would they have a set number? Does money limits come into it? What if a big-budget show gets the nod over some smaller-budget shows, does that mean fewer shows will get the greenlight?

Will any pilot be shown on the Friday night? Rove’s show will definitely be shown on Saturday.

Good, innovative work from Ten. My only criticism is the male dominance. It would have been nice to see more female led content. Skit Happens is my big hope

4 Likes

Agree on both points.

There are plenty of strong female comedians and personalities they could have worked with across this pilot project to bring some balance to the mix.

I’m also looking forward to Skit Happens, a genre of programming which has been missing off our screens for over a decade.

Whilst not all of the shows necessarily appeal to me, I think the variety of genres is well represented and hope it works for them.

1 Like

Apologies - it was Annette Sharp, not Ros Reines.

1 Like

Agree - while Pilot Week is a great initiative, they left themselves open to comments like this as a result of the lack of diversity:
https://twitter.com/Jane_L_Kennedy/status/1020874025839427584

11 Likes

I wonder if they’ve got a set number of shows they’ll commission or they’ll wait til audience reaction to green light a few instead of one (for instance). if not then the downside is that some potentially good shows might not even get a season.

OT but hopefully this makes the potential for more guests on HYBPA.

Really have to agree with Jane Kennedy there. Way too male orientated. They could have done with a bit more diversity.

2 Likes

Really surprised that Beverley McGarvey, the woman at the helm of this and most likely making most of the big decisions didn’t see this glaring oversight when this initiative was being put together and good on those people with some public profile calling it out for what it is.

Im sure that Ten might think that they’ve picked the best formats to pilot to audiences but viewers will see it for what it is which are 8 potentially new shows fronted by white privelaged males which are all severely lacking in diversity.

We obviously don’t know what they had to pick from or how many shows were pitched by females or with them at the helm, but they’ve had more than enough time to influence the mix of shows presented so it wasn’t seen that they are contributing to part of the problem with gender equality.

Considering Ten have a whole write up on tenplay under the corporate section about the representation of women in the media through the Male Champions of Change initiative it’s pretty poor form for them I think but it is what it is.

4 Likes

So hypocritical of Jane Kennedy there, who works for Working Dog and advocates for more Australian made shows and sitcoms on Australian Television. I think it’s best if she shuts up. Let’s look at Working Dogs history - The Castle: Male predominant, HYBA: Hosted by a male, All Aussie Adventures: Male, TGYH: Hosted by a male. The thing is, just because these shows are hosted by males, doesn’t mean they don’t feature females. Networks care about ratings, they look for who is going to bring in good ratings for them, they look for the best people for the role. It’s called meritocracy, something the likes of Gough Whitlam and Martin Luther King stood for.

Totally know the members who are going to disagree with this post. It won’t surprise me.

2 Likes

Yep best for the woman complaining about lack of female voices to ‘shut up’. You are a complete tool.

11 Likes

Not only do I wholeheartedly agree with Jane Kennedy (never shut up :roll_eyes:) but those 8 men are so boring or past it. I could easily think of 8 women (comics) who would be so much better.

6 Likes

“I know this post is inflammatory garbage but I’m going to post it anyway.”

9 Likes

Trolls will be trolls.