Ten News First Content and Appearance

If I’m not mistaken, I thought that their morning and late news bulletins were quite competitive back in 2013-14? I remember hearing that the morning bulletin often beat Nine and Ten.

Correct their late night bulletin used to get what their 5pm bulletin gets now. But like everything in news they fucked it up

3 Likes

As others have mentioned, as painful as it would be, I would prefer 10 take the “national” approach if it meant around the clock news bulletins and an increased focus with online.

As an example,
News at Five with the current Melbourne team
Late news with the Sydney team
A new morning/afternoon lineup from Sydney.
Local Perth news remains from Sydney

That way there is no loss of jobs, and increased news output

4 Likes

Why claim “10 News First” when 7 & 9 have News an hour earlier. 10 News get a 1/3 of what 7 & 9 get in the ratings. They need to invest more in their news

First is a legacy brand positioner that 10 were trying to retain as part of the rebrand from Ten Eyewitness News and even before then with the First at Five tagline. That was obviously well before earlier afternoon bulletins airing on Seven and Nine.

Why does SBS use World News when they clearly report on local and national news in Australia? Can they only report on world news? No, it’s just a way to differentiate their news services with a unique angle.

It’s a bit more complex as a brand than simply saying their news isn’t first anymore or you’ll see something first on another commercial network.

6 Likes

Ten abandoned the “First At Five” tagline for a while in the mid-late 2000s before bringing it back though.

Even when that tagline was originally used, it was a bit dubious given that Seven & Nine could credibly claim they were first in news historically.

2 Likes

Based on their promos 10 put ‘news’ first in their bulletins. To me that is reflected in the lack of ACA-type stories and other extraneous fluff that seems to fill Nine and Seven’s bulletins.

It is probably more noticeable in some markets. But at least in SEQ, 10’s bulletin is more likely to be dominated by straight news while you find stories on how to save money on your next visit to Aldis on the competition.

7 Likes

Some members on this forum have a very hard time accepting that fact even though it’s true.

They are flogging a dead horse by investing more into the news department. They are really only investing to meet the local content regulations now.

The ship has well and truly sailed to recover the 10 News brand. They have axed so much shit over the years so viewers have departed to their rivals.

8 Likes

Exactly - “Commerical but not trash.” Promos have featured statements like “the facts first” etc.

1 Like

Interesting result for 10 News in Perth yesterday. More people watched 10 News at 5pm than 9 News at 6pm

11 Likes

Interesting what happens when you have a popular anchor. The news isn’t dead at 10, it’s just got poor leadership and money crunchers.

1 Like

Perth is rating well. Sydney has bounced back and Brisbane has remained unchanged since the local bulletin was scrapped. The only bulletin floundering is Adelaide. It would appear those insisting they would switch off 10 changed their mind quickly.

5 Likes

It’s been reported Brisbane is also down roughly 20%.

Yes Adelaide is really concerning. A lot of viewers (like myself) enjoyed watching the Adelaide team so to have two out of three members axed and replaced by pre-recorded news from Melbourne (as much as I like Jen also) just didn’t sit right with many viewers.

4 Likes

It’s funny how generally true this statement is about 10 News. They were decent in the past, but the network has been struggling with the generational shift away from TV and onto different technologies, earlier than the other commercials.

People on here constantly suggest going back to older models they’d had in the past, forgetting that there was a reason they shifted away in the first place (whatever the reason may have been).

10 had a decent news service in the past, and as a former fan boy myself it sucks to say it, but it’s been a long time since they were are their best.

The times are changing and there just isn’t a need for an exclusively FTA news service anymore… either fade the service out, or adapt and offer the service on new technologies and other platforms.

9 Likes

10 got lucky with Perth. It’s a long term weak spot for 9 even after they threw cash on sets and anchors.

Plus, with the recent reorg, they lucked out again because Narelda had already moved to Sydney for Studio 10 and WA is always in a timezone where it can have its own live bulletin instead of the Brisbane and Adelaide Frankenstein hybrid.

14 Likes

So during daylight savings time Queensland could get their first half hour pre recorded and the final half hour live. That would mean Sydney could get its whole bulletin live. Hopefully 10 go for that option.

1 Like

6pm Sydney time is 5pm QLD time though.

4 Likes

That’s why I said the first half hour of Queensland will be pre recorded at some stupid hour. They can roll the recorded first half hour in Queensland. Then when Sydney finishes at 5:30 qld time they can do the final hour live in qld between 6:30-7:30 Sydney time.

Oops, missed that. My mistake…