Ten News First Content and Appearance

If they move the desk back presenters will probably roll their chair back and fall off the back of the platform by accident as there won’t be much clearance.

It’s a design flaw to be honest.

2 Likes

Like Erin Molan did on Nine News Sydney a few years ago?

Sorry, couldn’t resist! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

The Sydney set is the best in Australia ie the use of space and technology my only dislike is the coloured boxes that run along the sides.

Sydney, Melbourne and Perth up YOY, as expected Adelaide and Brisbane are both down.

5 Likes

Realistically, the changes are very minimal for Sydney and Melbourne. They have started getting the swing of things in regards to timing of pre-recorded segments etc (at least in Melbourne).

Perth is probably unaffected numbers wise because it’s still a dedicated bulletin with (semi) local anchors (for the time being)

Such a shame for Adelaide and Brisbane. Surely common sense will prevail, but it’s probably already too late.

4 Likes

Sydney and Melbourne both arguably have studio spaces that could be used to produce local news for Adelaide and Melbourne respectively, if 10 did make some changes to the presentation of the bulletins but still keeping them centralized.

I know it’s been discussed many times, and I seem to recall Melbourne was the one doing all the play out /control of the Adelaide bulletin so it’s possible for that to happen but could Sydney do Brisbane at the same time? (noting that daylight saving means Brisbane will be an hour behind Sydney anyway).

Brisbane could have Lachlan Kennedy present the local bulletin (national at 6 with Sandra?) since he would be somewhat familiar with local audiences, maybe Kate could do Adelaide’s and she could just do a seated presentation for the weather at the end of the bulletin.

1 Like

They might as-well-as present from the cities then. They would need to appoint talent to these roles which is where they saved money.

Remember Adelaide and Perth was controlled in Melbourne anyway.

5 Likes

This fucking sports break is useless… it’s all based around Queensland shit that no one in Sydney cares about.

4 Likes

Not yet. But this is a clear argument for local 10 management (within Australia) to justify extra $$$ back into the news depart from its parent company “Viacom”.

If numbers remain low in both Brisbane and Adelaide, 10 will need to reinstate local production. I give it 6 months.

3 Likes

They did say they’ll review the changes and the direction they’ll take in 2021, so I wouldn’t be surprised if they revert it.

1 Like

You wonder though who they’d attract if they were to revert to local bulletins. People would be sick and tired of being treated so brutally every time ten wants to axe stuff.

4 Likes

I agree. But as I’ve said before this isn’t local management from Australia pulling the strings. Viacom would have told 10 to save x amount from it’s news service (And they’ve done so).

10 need to justify reasons why more money should be put back into the news department and this is a clear indication as to why. If numbers are falling, then revenue is falling. Love the bullshit corporate world.

If Brisbane and Adelaide numbers remain low, then you can expect local presentation to return soon. People just need to sit tight and ride the wave.

1 Like

That’s the thing - I don’t think there are reasons to justify it. They have slashed the operating costs of 10 News by probably 30% - yet ratings (nationally) are unchanged. In fact in the 2 largest markets that make up over 50% of revenue (Mel + Ssd) ratings are UP

Hard to justify putting money back into something when your ratings are up and costs are down…

Its been said a million times: local newsrooms and studios only make sense if you spread the costs of running a news department over more hours of output, plus online. If you have newsrooms and studios in 5 cities to output 5am, Today, 11am, 4pm local, 6pm local, local weekends, late news, late Sunday news, plus a revenue driving website… then yes 5 local newsrooms make sense.

to output one bulletin a day in Adelaide… NO.

3 Likes

I actually think it is AU management that made this move. ViacomCBS AU NZ UK whatever it is said “cut 15% from your budget”

Network 10 looked at their budget. Where they spend, and where they get best ROI (Return win investment) that is Primetime - not 5pm in Adelaide.

They could have cut the instructed 15% from Primetime. Less Masterchef episodes. Less Bachelor episodes. 1 season of Goggle a year. Cut the Project license fee. Axe Im a Celebrity. Slash MAasked Singer budget. Taken Peach off the air. But they chose to cut from news.

If 10 beleived news offered good ROI they would not have cut it.

Sydney cut Adelaide news, not folks in London. I’d bet on it

8 Likes

purely based on my speculation.

4 Likes

Lol - while I LOVE the idea of local news in all markets - if I was running 10 with the setup they have and looking what really defines 10 (master, bachelor, goggle, project, celebrity, 5 bedrooms) I think I would have made the same call.

7 and 9 Have local news covered. Why be the poor third version of that. Pump money where it has most impact: primetime.

No one goes to 10 for News.

3 Likes

Agree. I’d be happy to sacrafice local news in all markets if it meant that 10 could add additional bulletins to their schedule (preferably in prime time) and invest in a sustainable and long term digital news product for the future.

2 Likes

I’d argue moving their news to primetime would be a good start, whether it’s local, national or the current hybrid.

They tried that, no one watched.

No ones watching at 5

1 Like