Ten News First Content and Appearance

With the announcement that the new Late News will be a first on 10play offering, hopefully they build other elements into 10play to try to promote the offering.

News updates built into the streaming commercial breaks and auto-play of the days news straight after stand alone shows such as HYBPA, Googlebox etc springs to mind.

8 Likes

Obviously Brisbane news should come from Brisbane anyway but Olympic wise might Sydney/Melbourne bulletins come from Brisbane for the fortnight anyway?

2 Likes

Narelda did a bit of an editorial towards the end of the bulletin today, I assume partly in response to this, followed by a montage of the ‘yes’ and ‘no’ people they’ve interviewed.

2 Likes

I’m an avid Yes supporter, so my point of view may bias my reply. However, I think one of the issues of the current mediascape is that any time a journalist challenges the reasoning or questions the source on how a person has formed their view, it is instantly viewed as biased.

The no campaign has been widely unchallenged by journalists, and politicians have been making wild claims that have no basis. Yet, some people will have reasons they consider completely valid to vote no - however, they should be guided by debate that is factually accurate and correct. Not just fear-mongering.

Honestly, I think Nerelda has been incredibly controlled in her interviews and news presentations, especially with how passionate she is on social media about her views. Let’s face it, out of anyone in the media landscape, she has the right to be biased… but, in my opinion, she’s been presenting with amazing professionalism throughout the ordeal.

12 Likes

Narelda doesn’t have the best of poker faces sometimes when it comes to interviews though I think generally she’s done a pretty good job for 10 in covering the debate and providing some insightful input from a First Nations perspective which has enhanced and added depth to 10’s coverage.

That said I hadn’t realised she had been posting pro voice opinion on social media. I could, never imagine Leigh Sales, for example posting partisan opinion on social media while she was hosting 7.30 and still maintain the same degree of journalistic respect and not cause problems for her organisation.

10 is a commercial network so I guess they have a right to have news presenters that openly express opinions on things and take a position, just the same as Sky News does. It does raise an interesting question for them though about how their news coverage is perceived, but as I say, if they’re comfortable with a perception (real or not) of pro-voice bias creeping into their news coverage and the consequences in terms of some people possibly not wanting to engage with the news service (either for interviews, as a viewer or advertiser) then I guess that’s their prerogative.

I actually really agree with you here, it’s something that was brought up by media watch a while ago. If journalists are to remain impartial, it’s hard to balance that with social media.
They highlighted news media getting involved with any charities, regardless of how good they may be, instantly giving the idea of bias.

But it’s also a double edged sword.

Why does Sandra Sully (and I love Sandra, don’t get me wrong) get to post all kinds of promotional things to her socials without the same questions being asked?
Hugh Rimington has written a number of opinion pieces for The Guardian, as well as posted his thoughts on social media about a number of hot topics, but he’s not really questioned about remaining impartial.

At the end of the day these people are also well informed humans with opinions, I guess we need to find the balance.

It’s a really interesting and tough topic.

I also guess my thinking about the referendum is more along the lines that I can’t see any substance in the no campaign, so it’s easy for a news organisation to appear biased if they’re presenting all sides well.

4 Likes

Haven’t seen specifically what Hugh and Sandra have commentated/posted about but I imagine neither is expressing partisan opinion during campaign periods which I think really is a line.

I guess it’s about managing conflict - yes, endorsing a product or writing an opinion piece could create perceptions of bias but I think the key is how closely it can be perceived as negatively influencing your day job.

Also, just as a side thought - Given Narelda has a clear public position on the Voice, I wonder if it would have been better to have her as a special co-host on the Project during the campaign period, where she would be more free to debate and express opinion, (and maybe do special reports for the news) rather than reading/interviewing on the news.

Opening of 10’s bulletin tonight

7 Likes

Look at the faces, they seemed to be dejected. I mean the news reporters, they don’t have great poker faces either.

1 Like

Seems like a good bulletin but pity they didn’t go for 90 minutes tonight.

4 Likes

The smart people realise how much of a disgrace this is.

3 Likes

Agree that 10 News should have had an extended news tonight. It was a good bulletin earlier. They know how to do good news. They don’t know hot to schedule it properly. lol.

Luxury Homes really that important for 6pm?

Even Seven and Nine News had an “extended news” as such (at 7pm), and they only went for an extra 30 minutes (with a later special later in the night).

4 Likes

Local “Evening Updates” seen tonight

Sydney

Melbourne

Brisbane

10 Likes

Really like these - so much nicer with the presenter in shot.

3 Likes

Notice these local updates have headlines too. 10 should have done this a long time ago.

2 Likes

Only change - Melbourne needs the weather super when on location again, as per the previous version.

2 Likes

They also might as well just get Josh Holt to do it. Getting a reporter to do it out in the elements when it was still light and no on screen graphics looks stupid.

Really like these! Fresh and should have been done long ago.
Interesting how every one of them had a different title at the top.

Brisbane - Tomorrow at 5
Sydney - Evening update
Melbourne - Nightly at 5

6 Likes

Yeah it’s a weird inconsistency, was just about to mention this.

The Evening update super I can understand, cause it’s relevant to the actual update.

The other ones don’t make much sense with the other content that’s being show on screen, for a moment I thought they were promoting something coming up tomorrow but it’s not.

4 Likes

Yeah, might not work as well for Melb, Adel and Perth with weather on location - especially if update is pre-recorded and it’s got darker by the time they go to air. Might be better off just getting Jen etc to update the weather.

2 Likes

Perth’s update had no weather

5 Likes