Ten News First Content and Appearance

10 News First will return to a one-hour bulletin from 5pm to 6pm weeknights and Network 10 will welcome back a late news bulletin which will be available as a digital offering first on 10 Play then broadcast on 10.

“Network 10 will continue to produce 90 minutes of news nightly. Additional exciting programming changes will be announced later in October.”

Interesting strategy about being available on 10 play first, suggests it will largely be prerecorded? They’ve touted digital first strategy before, first with 10 daily and then with Breakfast and neither gained any traction and my thoughts are likely this won’t either.

Keen to hear what the other “exciting additional programming changes” are, please be the return of local news in Qld :grimacing:

16 Likes

Interesting.

This seems to suggest that:

1. Sunday will continue to be a 90 minute bulletin (since article mentions no changes to Weekend news)
  2. If the late night bulletin is being prerecorded, could it be a “local” bulletin?
    The article states they will continue to produce 90 minutes of news, so I assume they mean locally.
  3. Brisbane will receive a fully local bulletin (via Sydney) during daylight savings
6 Likes

Definitely a welcome outcome if only during summer.

6 Likes

Sounds like the late news may be localised.

As mentioned above, live on 10 Play then replayed on 10.

3 Likes

Hopefully, moving presentation back to Brisbane is on he cards for 2024.

4 Likes

Local news is the only way

9 Likes

Lol @ late night bulletin. How long before they will give it a chop again? Again how will differentiate between Sevens and Nines late night bulletin? What will they do differently to draw in viewers ?

Good to see to get rid of the 6pm half hour, it was not needed in my opinion and with the news available on catch up on 10play it was weird to have that extra half hour.

3 Likes

The only way the 10Play first scenario really works, in my mind, is if the 10Play edition airs at 9.30 on the dot, with the edition FTA scheduled somewhere between 9.30 and 10 depending on when the show before finishes.

7 Likes

Just thinking if the late edition is local I wonder if Perths edition will be live at 9.30pm on Ten play. With a three hour time difference it would be interesting to watch the Tens late news at 6:30pm Perth time :grinning::grinning:

And knowing my love for news I probably would do that and tell my family to fuck off. Ten Late News at6:30pm comes first before any family functions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Interesting development regarding late news on 10play. If it goes live at (say) 9.30pm AEST it won’t cover the night’s sporting results, especially during the AFL and NRL seasons.

Why can’t the Brisbane bulletin be fully local (and produced in Brisbane) all year around? Queensland is so big that there should be enough stories to fill at least one-third of bulletin each weekday. Unless there is not enough advertising to cover the production cost?

2 Likes

Because the playout facilities in Brisbane were already old in 2020 and needed upgrading and they sacked all the playout staff.
They’d have to refit the entire studio and rehire new staff. Too much of an investment on Ten’s part.
Sydney/Melbourne don’t have an extra control room for Brisbane.

1 Like

Not sure what their thinking is. It sort of defeats the purpose of having a late news if it’s pre-recorded? And how early is it to be pre-recorded or put on 10Play? 6.00? 7.00?

I will be sorry to lose the 6.00 half-hour of news, though. I will be the minority there :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No Red Light alert? Lol.

Moving the 5pm News from 90 minutes back down to 60 minutes makes sense. The 6pm portion almost never makes the ratings in the top 20 and top 30 reports anyway. And there was 30 minutes of padding anyway.

Will Deal or No Deal make an impact at 6pm? Initially, yes. Medium to long term? Probably not.

As for the Late News. TVTonight says it will air on 10Play first, then will broadcast on 10 afterwards. It wont be live/ Then again, only portions of The Latest is live too. So no biggie? Will a Late News work for 10 in this current landscape? I hope so, as a fan of 10’s former Late News. But times have changed.

3 Likes

10 will have no choice but to reinvest in playout facilities in Brisbane given the city’s population will continue to grow. It won’t be a good look for 10 News First in 2032 if the Brisbane bulletin is still hosted from Sydney during the Olympics.

2 Likes

We’ll be lucky to even have local bulletins from 10 in 2032 tbh

4 Likes

I wouldn’t mind if they moved Narelda to late news and try and refresh Studio 10

3 Likes

Another refresh for Studio 10?

What will it take to just axe it?

1 Like

Local late news would be a great point of difference.

4 Likes

If they record it at 9.30pm it would be okay but they really should be airing at 9.30 on the main channel anyway consistently

8 Likes

12 minutes of coverage on Israel conflict to open the bulletin. It was quite good. Two reports plus an explainer from Hugh Riminton.

7 Likes