Ten News First Content and Appearance

The 5pm Melbourne ratings for the OB weren’t too different to the usual Thursday. However, it was very rare that the 6pm part of the bulletin outrated the earlier hour.

8 Likes

Wow. Very surprising.

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/hughriminton/status/1680040289963216896?s=20

7 Likes

Former Ten News presenter Kay McGrath (best and better known for her time at BTQ) dropped in to visit the TVQ studios and wish new staffer Erin Edwards all the best.

In this post is the TVQ news set which has remained mostly untouched since the 2020 centralization… and while I doubt there’ll be a return to local production in the short-term future it looks like Ten is leaving its options open to such a move.

NOTE: Comments cropped out.

16 Likes

Apart from Brisbane’s three commercial channels there probably aren’t many newsrooms in 2023 that were around in 1988. They are probably the only ‘heritage’ news rooms still in service? Except, perhaps WIN in Wollongong.

6 Likes

Southern Cross in Tasmania

3 Likes

10 News live from Brisbane with Kay McGrath… what a delightful thought.

10 Likes

We did see Perth return to local production and Adelaide return to an independently local bulletin (albeit produced from Sydney) this year so I can’t see a reason why Brisbane can’t return to a locally produced bulletin in the future.

Question is, when? Not before the end of this year I say. But you can never say never.

2 Likes

I suggest you find the previous conversations about that in this thread.
Brisbane is much trickier to solve logistically

3 Likes

So you know, I don’t watch Ten News First that often so I wouldn’t know a lot about the composite Sydney/Brisbane bulletin and how it’s produced etc.

If Ten followed standard TV industry procedure after the local Brisbane production was canned in 2020, someone from down south would have turned up the next day with a screwdriver and some packing tape and stripped out all the valuable studio gear. I would be surprised if things were not a bit lean in the TVQ rack room by now

2 Likes

It’s coming. Question is who would present it - although Kay is very well known and a ratings winner I’m not sure whether she would want to commit to a fixed 5 day working week, given she seems happy doing Weekender and the odd 7 News special report

2 Likes

Citation needed here.

In any case, if 10 were somehow able to figure out the logistics of operating a separate Brisbane bulletin (a bigger initial investment itself I believe than the cost of running a separate bulletin) then I think they would look internally for a suitable presenter.

Georgina Hill would be my pick.

2 Likes

Unless Georgina Lewis doesn’t want to return, she would be my pick. Such a shame she’s not on our screens anymore. She was a brilliant presenter.

I can’t see QLD returning locally this year.

7 Likes

Would love to see Georgina back too, just couldn’t see them outlaying that much for someone at her level.

3 Likes

Georgie Lewis, was and still is IMO the best news reader in QLD. I can’t believe it’s almost been 3 years since production seized up at TVQ. Nice to know the set is still there and hasn’t been dismantled.

Georgina Hill is a great talent to also Pippa Sheehan. 10 QLD did have a good lineup back in the day.

7 Likes

Physically it’s still there in shell form, the insides are gone essentially (the tech that gives you the ability to do a bulletin)

Really weird convo at the desk between Jen and Quarters about the Comms Games in Melb just now…

1 Like

Quarters slagging Dan? Well known he and Mike were both big Lib supporters.

5 Likes

He was actually ok with the decision. His comments were more about how in reality the Comm Games are kind of irrelevant now.

The odd bit was the unscripted chat and them both falling over their words and just having a strange conversation lol

5 Likes