Ten News First Content and Appearance

I heard a Switch On Jen ad on Fox 101.9 earlier and my God, they used the 2018 Ten Eyewitness News theme. Can’t get anything right.

4 Likes

Might’ve been produced by SCA? Though 10 would’ve / should’ve had sign off on that, could’ve been missed by marketing department though.

1 Like

Not sure. It featured the 10 voiceovers though

1 Like

Lmao no way, I’d love to hear that if anyone managed to catch it/find a copy

1 Like

If you want to catch it, listen to the station from 4.55pm - 5pm. The ad seems to run right before the news begins

2 Likes

Not sure if the link below will work (I tried uploading the audio here but didn’t work) but it’s definitely the old theme.

7 Likes

That’s the one!

1 Like

10 News first Sydney is getting worse and worse. The opening “live/local” segment only featured 1 local story and 1 live read plus a weather update with Josh about the snow in the forecast. The rest were national stories and live crosses to London. This is the only segment that is live and local and the rest of the bulletin is shared with Brisbane so really they might as well just go national if this is the shit they’re serving up pretending to be a local bulletin.

They really aren’t evolving at all. You’d wonder what these peoples KPI’s are given they actually never improve the product.

1 Like

The story selection in Melbourne tonight was also questionable. Some of the stories they choose to lead with are very minor (local) and would most likely be found in the second or third blocks on rival bulletins. Melbourne and Sydney are also (clearly) prioritising live crossed to London.

The new Adelaide newsroom looks like it’s gained some branding in the past few weeks. Looks better than it did though it does seem incredibly squashed in. Assume there are lighting issues too as the blinds are always down.

6 Likes

Is it just me or is that 10 News First logo on the wall slightly tilted?

3 Likes

Clearly they’ve downsizes…. Any pictures of the external building?

1 Like

Nothing says “we didn’t consider putting this on camera” than those sexy cable snakes :joy:

3 Likes

I’ve said it for 2 years now. The point Of being local is to have a local service that speaks to your city community and offers a distinct local connection. Otherwise - what is the point.

Whats the point being the distant 3rd of pretending to be local but not actually being connected to the city AT ALL. Forgot trying to PRETEND to be local. You’re failing.

And In stead offer the marketplace something different.

Be the BEST national news bulletin in Australia. Evolve. Innnovate. Experiment. Look at news formats outside Australia. Beyond the US.

Make the best innovative new and different- dynamic national newscast Australia has. 5pm-6.30pm.

Forget pretending to be local. Be the best national and offer a clear point of difference

3 Likes

It’s a strange balance… 10 is under serving the Sydney/Brisbane audience and the stations it’s supposed to represent.

Funnily enough though being regularly in regional NSW I find 10 News more relevant than the very Sydney centric 7 and 9 and find it a much better product for the region without having totally irrelevant Victorian/SA/WA news that the national 10 weekend news delivers.

In this landscape of media consolidation it’s worth considering how a wider region outside of just the ‘home market’ is served going forward (without going fully national)… especially for a network so resource starved as 10. Being a regional product might actually provide a point of difference which is something 10 has always done well…

Seems like the logical next step. Melbourne could probably keep going by itself but the rest seems stuffed now.

What would 10 News being a “regional product” actually entail?

The overwhelmingly vast amount of advertising dollars are made in the large city markets.

1 Like

By regional I believe he means local, not national. Region-specific, not regional as in outside the city.

Yep - realise the majority of the $$ is in the metros. 10 probably can’t sink much lower in, for example, Sydney however if they were to acquire their regional affiliates in the near future (likely) they might actually be able to pick up a few $$$ by making a product that more broadly appealed to the whole state, say, and that might be a better outcome than, as others have suggested, going fully national (because their faux Sydney product is apparently so bad).

What such a model might exactly look like - not sure. Just a thought. Haven forbid we think outside of the established norm in a rapidly changing and contracting industry.

2 Likes

If 10 News went national it could be truly national with more regional stories as well presumably.