Ten News First Content and Appearance

The networks have conditioned everyone to essentially switch off after the reality shows finish at 8.30. Trying to set “appointment” news viewing at 9.00, while I don’t necessarily think it’s a bad idea in principle, would be fruitless. It would also have to rely on a consistent schedule so that it always started at the same time each night. None of this moving around like 9.05, 9.20, 9.45, 8.45, 9.12 business that would be most likely to happen.

4 Likes

It’s only ‘fruitless’ because none of the commercial networks are making an effort trying to get viewers to stick around. If they did (regardless of whether it’s trying a primetime news bulletin or something else), viewers wouldn’t switch-off in droves as they currently do.

To be blunt, the networks are reaping what they sow

3 Likes

Exactly. And it’s only a recent trend.

Credits @SamSamTV
Before throwing to the break for weather (both Melb/Adl), Kate is now on the screen. (Although no interaction with her)

8 Likes

I guess it’ll be like that until Kate relocates to Melbourne, then we’ll probably see her in the studio interacting with Jen and Quarters.

8 Likes

I don’t think I can post the actual figures due to OzTAM restrictions, but the Adelaide audience for 10 News First (first week of Jennifer Keyte presenting) was 14,000 lower than the week before.

3 Likes

Or out on location :grin:

Another stuff up on Melbourne tonight. Kate, looking ahead to next weeks weather, said “A cold first week of the school holidays ahead”. The first week in Victoria was this week.

6 Likes

The problem with this format.
Presenters who don’t know the region.

3 Likes

The whole thing about is a bloody problem.

4 Likes

Tonight was an interesting test of the centralised news presentation for Brisbane.

Nine Brisbane opened at 6pm with breaking news about someone being shot with an arrow. Included cross to reporter and interview with witness.

Seven’s opened with a brief mention of the story and returned later at 6:27.

I was a bit surprised that 10 had a report (near the beginning of the 6pm segment) - it was read only with no vision. They probably wouldn’t have done much better before the changes.

Update:

ABC News opened with the story using the pooled helicopter vision seen on Seven and Nine and a similar read report as 10.

Later news update around 7:45pm

9 Likes

So, there ya go. Nothing changed.

The sky didn’t fall in.

3 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Nine News Content and Appearance

The tragic breaking news of the discovery of the body of 14-year-old autistic boy William Wall was covered with a live cross after the first advert break in Sydney and Brisbane.

4 Likes

Sorry if it’s been said before but can someone explain which blocks are local blocks and which are the Syd/Bris blocks, please.

Is the Sydney bulletin read completely live?

1 Like

It’s all over the place every night.

You would need to watch both bulletins at once to see.

It’d be pretty easy to work out, watching them simultaneously

1 Like

Update: 10 was the only news shown in Queensland to have a live cross to the scene.

6 Likes

In less than two weeks, we won’t be able to use that term to describe crosses that air in Queensland on weeknights!

Will have to wait to see. Potentially parts of the last hour of the bulletin could be done live.