Ten News First Content and Appearance

Melbourne getting a local bulletin tonight? Jennifer is in the studio.

3 Likes

Makes sense. Jen presented the Premiers presser. And it’s a big news day.

Who has been doing the updates this afternoon?

The copy that Jen is reading is awful on ATV, it’s written in terribly repetitive structure and in a very partisan tone in reference to the lockdowns.

Tonight’s bulletins
Sydney:

Melbourne:

Brisbane:

Adelaide:

Perth:

13 Likes

People used to watch Ten as a source for local news. If not a primary source (even during the 1990s & 2000s), then at least one which complimented what they saw on Seven or Nine later in the evening.

For all my criticisms though, I will say there are journalists still in the Pyrmont newsroom doing the best they can with what seems like a budget of about $7.50 and the smell of an oily rag.

Not sure about others on Media Spy, but I actually think Daniel Sutton & Lachlan Kennedy are likely to generate some interest from Seven or Nine in the future if they haven’t already. I know I’d be seriously considering acquiring the services of at least one of Kennedy or Sutton for the post-Mark Burrows/Damian Ryan era if I was Simon Hobbs.

Unfortunately, I suspect this prediction will eventually turn out to be right.

People are eventually going to notice the reduction in quality coverage of local events from 10 News First. Now I’m not saying that Seven or Nine are massively better than Ten by any means, but unlike 10 News First you’ve probably at least got a vague idea (obviously nobody can predict exactly what the headlines will be on any network this time next week, but the bulletin format…) of what you’ll be getting from “the big two” on Monday night.

Again, it has to be said that the following isn’t something I want to see happen. More job losses at 10 News First will result in less opportunities for stories to be told and likely, the end of some media careers.

But at the same time, it wouldn’t be massively surprising if 10 News First becomes a fully national news service all week long (pretty much on weekdays what the current Saturday/Sunday night bulletins are like) within 12-18 months.

3 Likes

Its just sad looking through these caps knowing that most of the presenters have been given the axe

5 Likes

TV Blackbox says the Sydney and Melbourne bulletins will be entirely Live and the first segment on Brisbane and Adelaide will be Pre-recorded at 4pm (3pm in QLD during DST). Second segment will be a mix of national stories which aren’t state specific.

Presumedly Sports and Weather will also be Pre-recorded for Brisbane and Adelaide (although in theory Adelaide Sports and Weather could be Live due to the time difference).

I wonder if viewers will care or even realise their news could be out of date?

So no up to the minute live breaking news for the 1.5 million People in SA and the 3 million in QLD.

At 5 the news in Brisbane will be an hour old (2 hours for daylight savings) and In SA it will be 90 minutes old

What happens at 6pm?

5 Likes

I think we all anticipated this last month when it was announced. There is clearly no other way of doing these so called “Combined” local bulletins. Brisbane and Adelaide have really been treated 2nd class here.

2 Likes

I can understand them cutting Adelaide and Perth given how small their markets are, but it seems really bizarre to cut Brisbane.
It will really suffer in the summer months

1 Like

I believe Perth and Brisbane are very similar size markets.

3.4m to 2.1m

Brisbane market over 61% bigger

NNSW market is also bigger than Perth market at 2.2m

(Gold Coast is included in both the NNSW and Brisbane TV markets)

2 Likes

Yeah really odd they couldn’t keep Brisbane, screams of overseas calls being made.

Where did you get that from? Brisbane has around 2.6 million and Perth is 2.1 million? Adelaide is 1.4 million. Compared to Melbourne (5.1 million) and Sydney (5.3million)

Does the Brisbane TV market take into account the Gold Coast and Sunshine Cost?

TV Market sizes according to OzTAM

4 Likes

No idea what happens to 6pm at this stage.

Gold Coast is in Brisbane’s TV market, but I only think most of Sunshine Coast is. Think they can only get WIN etc only in the Noosa area but could be wrong.

For most of Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast there is an overlap with regional.

Brisbane’s bulletin will be a 2nd class citizen here though.

Oztam. The official market sizes. Melbourne bigger than Sydney too

Both Brisbane and NNSW include Gold Coast

I don’t think sim coast is included

1 Like

A lot of people forget that “Greater Geelong” (approx 250,000 people) is included in Melbourne Metro for TV market purposes, hence why Melbourne is Australia’s largest TV market.

Not the same case for Sydney and Newcastle, Central Coast I believe.

In terms of general population size, however, Greater Geelong is not counted as a part of Greater Melbourne whereas the Central Coast population is included in Greater Sydney’s population.

If you look at Greater Sydney v Greater Melbourne alone, Melbourne has a larger population than Sydney - this has been the case for a few years now.

At the end of the day, it’s not really about the relative market sizes. After all, smaller markets are still good for advertisers in targeted demographics.
This is just blatant cost cutting, and it sucks.

I believe the majority of people here are bewildered to see an area of television that’s typically regarded with a higher level of ethics, treated in this manor.

7 Likes