Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

That was in a time when there were 5 channels, no DVRs, no streaming companies, and billions of hours of content on FB and YouTube.

Eventually The Simpsons was remioved from 6pm due to Softening ratings

Does anyone have a list of shows 10 has had at 6pm for the last 10 years, say 2000 onwards?

The Simpsons
6pm with Gorge Negus
Ten News (2011)
Pointless
Celebrity Name Game
Ten News (2019)

What else?

2 Likes

Judge Judy and Bold and the Beautiful also aired at 6pm at some stage I recall.

7 and 9 acquired their way to online platforms (7news.com.au may be a new commitment, but Yahoo7 helped them gain a base). 10 would need a significant amount of further production bandwidth to split 10 News First from 10daily. What they have is good enough for a 6pm bulletin, not a dedicated online news brand.

As for the bulletin itself, I appreciate the effort they’re putting into it. The most contentious issue on the forum seems to be the 6pm pinch point and I think the overall assessment here is that 10 has done it poorly.

I’ve made my thoughts clear somewhere all the up there that viewers have a good clock sense with phones these days, so if they switch to 7 and 9, they’ll do it regardless if what’s coming up at 6pm on 10. The challenge for 10 has been to put something compelling enough there in the first place and I think those retained viewers are used to switching it off. 10 could always better tease some 6pm stories during the 5pm hour and at least acknowledge the fact the bulletin runs for 90 minutes rather than act as the 6pm half-hour doesn’t exist.

But as to the need for separate coding and an headlines+open segment? Maybe not as necessary as one thinks. The biggest reasons we do it in the US are to promote “A-block” stories different from last hour or second angles, to delineate producers for separate half-hours, or, funnily enough, to easily run TOTH identification as mandated by the FCC.

AFAIK, 10 isn’t beholden to any of these rules of thumb because Australian TV news differs a lot to what US TV news is. And I’m willing to bet that the same time you’ll see a TOTH open on 10 is the same day you’ll see weather come BEFORE sport and run for 2 minutes, not 4.

10 has essentially trained viewers to go to 7 and 9 at 6 by offering a never ending conveyor bemt changing insconssitant unappealing programming.

10 have trained the audience. They caused this.

They need to train them back, by making 6pm a thing - not just count on people sitting there to watch.

1 Like

Credit to Arrow TV Three

Thanks for the video

I see lots or things wrong

• they never promote what’s coming up new at 6 (yet they promote what’s coming up on the project)

• the transition and headlines at 6.03 feels distinctly like a like a look back “here’s what we covered”

• this is a problem for 2 reasons, I’d you’ve watched the proceeding 60 minutes and they just headlined what they covered, that’s basically telling people
    To go to 7 and 9

• 2nd reason - if you’re a new viewer tuning in at 6, they don’t tell you what’s coming up and what to look forward to, just what you’ve missed

So it’s a double whammy

6 needs to open with headlines and open per normal and “at 6” branding.

Stories needs to be branded with “new at 6” or “we have new information at 6”

6pm needs to be teased through out the hour

This is all problematic

2 Likes

I think this was a smart move by 10.

Whatever the ratings this morning, the flow felt right (in Sydney, at least).

I don’t think doing a whizz bang relaunch is necessarily the right route. It may get post numbers up in this thread, but most people don’t care.

What they did, however, was carefully pace the bulletin and produce an excellent half hour from 6pm, with great snappy reports from reporters such as Natasha Exelby and well timed segments.

As someone who is cooking dinner for the household at this time, I liked to have that flow of news noise coming into the kitchen and leading into The Project seamlessly (and Sandra winking at the new lineup at the end).

Maybe the 10Daily segment could be reworked (maybe throw to someone walking around their amazing newsroom) but that’s something that can be ironed out.

Overall, I think it’s a smart, logical move. It allows 10 to see what they have, look at audience behaviour, then build.

News takes years to establish. Hopefully 10 are in for the long run.

3 Likes

Oh hey

4 Likes

Do you mean Ten present the news in a more relaxed casual way, than Seven & Nine do in Adelaide?

From 10’s corporate comm’s Twitter account this morning:

@10NewsFirst lifted 10’s 6pm timeslot 29% week on week.

11 Likes

It worked. :+1:

1 Like

That’s potentially another 50,000 viewers. That’s a great result with no promotion.

7 Likes

It is affirming to know that something most of us have been suggesting for ages actually works in the real world.

Next, the Media Spy Manifesto for Seven News sets…

18 Likes

A good starting sign. Let’s see if it continues to lift over the next few weeks!

2 Likes

How WIN left for Illawarra / Canberra:

6 Likes

Well it’s better than no handoff at all

1 Like

BLOOODY BRILLIANT
Based on the 150k number we have been told name game was getting - that’s about 1 43k rise to 193k from 150k at 6

if they promoted it it would be even higher!

It should only grow now.

Now start promoting it Ten and do the handover at 6 better, as well as promote “new at 6”

Imagine if 10 left local news at 6, 8 years ago, and let it grow…where we would be today.

2 Likes

If they’re able to build that number up to 500k by the end of Summer, I’d say that’s a roaring success for the network.

500k? That’s way too ambitious. You can’t grow a time slot 250% in 3 months…

And as 10 grows 7 and 9 will start throwing more at 10 & 6pm.

I’d say if they can get it to nestle in at 300k that would be incredible

Well that’s ridiculous.

The 5-6 hour isn’t even doing that.

1 Like