Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

You guys are right, it’s probably a bit too ambitious.
My thinking was that they’d get new viewers who either didn’t want to sit down and watch an hour of news (7 & 9 News) and viewers who remained tuned in from 5pm.

Also, something funny I just realised, since the news originally broke only 2 days ago, there have been 275 new posts in this thread :joy:

It was a successful debut for the expanded bulletin. However, as I’ve said on this forum a few times and will continue to do so - one night/week is not a trend. The key thing now is to see how the 6pm portion performs over the next few weeks - the expanded bulletin will stay if its rates how it did last night or improves.

That handover is a bit messy with Bailey promoting giving the full 7 day forecast later in the bulletin and the beginning to the 6pm headlines summary airing before Sandra Sully does the handover to WIN News. Reckon it would work better if that entire last segment is pre-recorded. That way you could have Bailey do the 7 day forecast and then cross to Sandra to do the handover

3 Likes

It will come down to bettering the entire 90-minute package.

Last I checked, 5pm rated 350k (might’ve gone down). And since news leads in to news, the theory is that 6pm will need to be fostered and floated as a priority.

As a side discussion (probably best for another thread), does B&B need replacing?

350k is weekend isnt it? Weekdays are getting 400-450 I thought.

Well going off last night’s ratings, the Monday bulletin got just above 350k

Weekend have been rating between 200-250k for sometime now.

1 Like

Winter months the bulletin usually edges on 500-600k mark. Summer months hangs around the 300-400k mark.

Regarding the debate about whether the expanded bulletin should be 90 minutes or split into separate 5pm and 6pm portions, think it’s important to go back to the reason why 10 are having this trial in the first place. The aim of 10 trialing a 90 minute bulletin is to see whether it’ll do a better job in at least maintaining the 5pm audience (and perhaps adding new viewers) than Celebrity Name Game.

If the trial proves it can do that and 10 sticks with the expanded news service, they might down the track subtlety split it into separate 5pm and 6pm bulletins and promote the latter in the aim of attracting people who watch Seven/Nine at 6pm. As such, I think the network is going about things the right way by trialing a 90 minute bulletin.

5 Likes

I just checked for the first time in a while… yeesh. But I now maintain the need to refer to audience share, rather than numbers.

Much better transition into 6pm tonight here in Melbourne.

Cut to the headline transition effect with the title card sound bing into top headlines. Much better.

Mike didn’t stipulate the time he will be back with the 7 day forecast tonight “I’ll back back later” was used. Much better if you’re not going to provide it at the end of the 5pm bulletin

Looks like they are already tweaking the bulletins. Melbourne now doing seamless transition from weather to headlines with no farewell to WIN viewers and the 10daily trending segment is earlier in the bulletin (I think). Much better.

6 Likes

Yep, heaps better.

Would’ve liked a titlecard at least! At least they are now using the headline supers.

9 Likes

Not sure if the 60 minute format did this but the Queensland bulletin shows Brisbane’s 7 day outlook after the first hour, then at the end of the bulletin they show Brisbane, Ipswich, Gold Coast and the Sunshine Coast (all 7 day outlooks).

5 Likes

The 60 minute bulletins only showed the seven day forecasts for Brisbane and Ipswich.

3 Likes

Perth’s weather ran until 6.03pm, then they transitioned straight to the headlines like Melbourne.

2 Likes

Yes it was that way for the 60 minute format.

2 Likes

Only Brisbane and Ipswich 7 day forecasts in the 60 mins

1 Like

That’s what I just said?

1 Like

Oh. Whoops. I just referred back to the post you quoted. Sorry.

1 Like

No worries.

1 Like