Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

WIN Television in breach for Ten Eyewitness News report on brutal bashing

The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has found that WIN Television breached the Commercial Television Industry Code of Practice (the Code) in a Ten Eyewitness News ‘First at Five’ report broadcast on 8 September 2018.

ACMA Chair Nerida O’Loughlin said that under the Code, a licensee must have regard to the likely audience and any identifiable public interest reasons for presenting material.

‘Broadcasters can report matters of public interest, including topics such as violent attacks. However they must exercise care in selecting material that will not seriously distress or offend a substantial number of viewers’, said Ms O’Loughlin.

The ACMA investigation found the depiction of a victim repeatedly punched in the face was excessive and disproportionate to any public interest reasons given by the licensee.

The ACMA also found that despite some post-production blurring of the footage, the licensee did not exercise sufficient care in selecting the material for broadcast.

The ACMA has requested that both Network 10 and WIN Television incorporate the investigation into its compliance training for all relevant news and other staff to ensure future compliance.

‘The ACMA will continue to track complaints about the depiction of violence during news and other unclassified programs on commercial television,’ said Ms O’Loughlin.

1 Like

TVQ set looks good here. Lighting is fantastic.

5 Likes

TVQ I think you mean - QTQ is Nine’s callsign! :wink:

Do any of our insiders have any clues about the newsroom changes? Must be massive to kick everyone out for a week…

10 Likes

@lexington This is your cue… Cough**

7 Likes

I think some posts from a while back may shed light on the possible changes to happen in the Newsroom before the Network relaunch occured:

4 Likes

pokes head up Hmm??

puts head back down

7 Likes

Prime time news.

Work must be advancing in the newsroom. Tarsh has this morning moved from sitting in the newsroom for the Studio 10 updates to being in front of a screen with a control room background she normally has on studio 10 on it.

3 Likes

A (probably) rare native HD live cross on tonight’s 10 News First Sydney to Eammon-Ashton Atkinson at Vatican City:

While I’m not holding my breath for this to happen, personally I hope the new set may also result in the introduction of more native HD content on Sydney/national bulletins since it seems there are newsroom renovations happening.

Something else that has come to mind: When the new Sydney/national set is launched and if the new one includes some form of “three plasma backdrop” like the other markets have, will Adelaide get Sydney’s old screens or are they so old now that it’s not really worth the effort sending them over?

11 Likes

That’s a gorgeous looking shot!

2 Likes

I noticed Waleed looked to be in HD from Hanoi on The Project as well.

7 Likes

Equipment upgrades this week?

1 Like

Nope. They’re just using 3rd party equipment which happens to be HD.

5 Likes

The suspense is killing me Ten News First!

4 Likes

@lexington New set in Sydney tonight, over the weekend or Monday?

I reckon we wont see anything new until Monday’s Studio 10.

I’m thinking tonight with Studio 10 having come from indoors today where 10 News First has been coming from this week.

I could be wrong though.

1 Like

I’d be willing to predict that we’ll have at least one more weekend of bulletins in Melbourne, so the crew in Sydney can make the finishing touches to the new set and renovated newsroom.

But of course, we’ll just have to wait and see what happens for sure!

1 Like

Surprised non of our Sydney viewers have mentioned the glimpse of the new set shown in the background of a story tonight.

4 Likes