Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

You mean Bruce isn’t big into buying dejerros for prerecorded bulletins? :joy:

1 Like

At the end of the day, they shouldn’t be relying on WIN News for coverage. They have a great team of people working at 10, and they truely do well with so little, but they need to expand their current resources in all states. The time is now, especially when you’re going up against seven and nine news at 6pm.

3 Likes

Agreed. If 10 News First is to become a legitimate competitor for Seven & Nine (which I’m sure they’re intending to with their expansion into the 6pm half hour), then 10 News First needs more/expanded resources so the average viewer is provided with decent incentives to watch them over the other two.

6 Likes

Mocked up a quick video of how I’d implement the 6pm opener for 10 News First.
Basically, the only change I’d add (going off the Melbourne bulletin) is a titlecard after the headlines.

9 Likes

Would also work better for those of us forced to switch to WIN news. Weather would end properly before the WIN News Opener in place of where you placed the 10 News Opener.

1 Like

BOLO for Monika Koss promos

7 Likes

It’s a bit of a cop out. Ten ran a special morning bulletin to cover the Thai cave rescue, but zero extended coverage on the bushfires outside of their 5pm and 6pm Bulletins and normal through-the-day updates.

Victoria has declared a state of disaster, the total area burnt around the country is bigger than Belgium, skies are turning red, the smoke has reached all the way to NZ and the military has been called in for evacuations. Nothing extra from Ten.

7 Likes

Finally! Looking forward to what 10 Perth have whipped up for her upcoming debut! :slight_smile:

Surely they can’t call the second bulletin 10 News First.

10 News First is a brand, rather than a positioner, such as they used to have with First At Five.

They can do whatever they like, and whilst it’s not setting the world on fire, it’s working for them.

1 Like

Agree, but it’s a different time of the year. Studio 10, The Project and a portion of their newsrooms are on holidays. They simply don’t have the current resources to creat a morning bulletin at this time of the year.

This is true, they don’t need rolling coverage or to be producing breakfast type shows but they have reporters and cameramen in the field, they have journalists covering it for online, and would be prepping for this evenings news so there is the relevant staff there at the moment if needed.

To get the bare minimum studio crew in for even just extended bushfire updates, in-program news crawlers, breaking into programming for press conferences and online updates etc throughout the day before the 5pm bulletin would be better than nothing.

Nothing they haven’t done before and are very capable of doing, especially given the circumstances and severity of the current situation.

1 Like

10 should be running crawls during programming for the relevant markets. They should be breaking into programming nationally for the press conferences… none of that is hard.

I’ve noticed a very different style of coverage of the NSW & VIC fires compared to how QLD does it.

8 Likes

I’m assuming we won’t have local editions tonight, even though it’s extremely warranted in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

2 Likes

On one of the worst disasters this country has faced that’s effecting all states, 10 has opted to provide its normal national based news service.

Absolutely no excuses on this one.

If they don’t have the resources, then get them!!

11 Likes

Coverage is top-notch, despite it being a national bulletin.

4 Likes

They seem to have a few more crews out now. They probably needed to go local tonight.

I’m guessing their newsrooms ramp up from Monday with studio 10 back so hopefully next week they’ll be across it more.

3 Likes

Not probably, they needed to be local tonight. There is currently so much news happening in each individually state. They’ve had one cross in Victoria and South Australia. The rest has been NSWs based??

3 Likes

Ten news still going past 6pm

11 Likes

Good. They probably also realised that given how Saturday nights rate for them, news is a lot more important atm.

2 Likes