Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Yes.

2 Likes

Brisbane tonight

7 Likes
1 Like

Oh dear

1 Like

I think itā€™s clear from the recent bushfire coverage, 10 needs a big investment in resources around its newsrooms. When big news breaks like this, they just donā€™t have the crews to cover it.

8 Likes

Except in QLD where the limited number of crews seems to compete quite adequately with their much beefier competitors at 7 and 9.

1 Like

Just like their old affiliation with Nine, WIN seem to be reluctant to share their south coast news resources with their affiliate partner.
From what Iā€™ve seen, WIN have at least one senior reporter on the south coast fire ground that could be a great addition to 10ā€™s coverage. Even just for look-lives.

4 Likes

I doubt ten would want some half baked report from win. They have reporters down there. They just need more crews. Iā€™ve seen some win footage on ten though.

2 Likes

Not only would I say that itā€™d be great if 10 News First Sydney used the services of Samara Gardner, unless sheā€™s in line for a promotion to the studio by WIN News as part of their current/recent presenter shake-ups I probably wouldnā€™t be overly surprised if Samara eventually became a reporter for 10 News First (like Kimberley Pratt did!) or one of the other Sydney news bulletins sometime in the next year or two.

If both parties were interested they could always do work on some kind of partnership similar to Seven and SCA Tasmania where the network can call on regional reporters for reports and live crosses (or even look-lives).

Though with the cuts from WIN there arenā€™t many areas where such a deal would be useful.

1 Like

Half baked? Nine metro have sent Nine News Canberra reporter Harry Frost to Nowra to free up other reporters. Nine also had Nine News Illawarra reporter James Wilson covering the Shoalhaven fires for metro a month or so back.

When the affiliation change occurred in 2016, WIN CEO Andrew Lancaster kept saying the deal would see a strong collaboration between the WIN & 10 newsrooms. Well, nearly 4 years on, Iā€™m yet to see any of this ā€˜strong collaborationā€™ on air between the WIN and 10 newsrooms.

6 Likes

If only Nine News Sydney would do the same with their coverage of Northern NSW stories (TCN reporters frequently travel North for relatively minor stories that would be adequately covered by a report from NBN or even just a RVO), but thatā€™s for another thread.

I personally wonder if WIN signing a deal with Sky News in 2018 (for Sky News on WIN and Headline News) has resulted in the regional broadcaster ā€œstrongly collaboratingā€ more with the News Corp-owned Pay TV news service than Ten recently?

Then of course, thereā€™s the fact that WIN have axed local news bulletins in four markets since the affiliation change.

Just because you donā€™t see the reporters doesnā€™t mean there isnā€™t significant cooperation. Thereā€™s a lot of sharing & vision swapping going on. We work really well with the Wollongong & Canberra newsrooms.
And being in the rare position of watching all 3 Sydney bulletins (the joy of being in an office surrounded by tvā€™s), I donā€™t buy the whole 10 doesnā€™t compete on big yarns line. Yes I work there, obvious disclaimer (and no one ever says no to more resources)

18 Likes

Yes and they did the same under the old Nine affiliation. Thatā€™s a fairly basic principle when youā€™re affiliated with each other. Every affiliate does that.
A part that though, Iā€™m trying to work out where this hyped ā€˜strong collaborationā€™ is between WIN News and 10 News?

From what is seen on-air, WIN News is more in bed with Sky News than what they are with their major affiliate partner.

3 Likes

To be fair, Nine Sydney has only just started doing that in the last six months or so. Usually, they send one of their own reporters down for their 6pm bulletin.

You certainly donā€™t want reporters who have never done live-Xs before on your main bulletin. If 10 are able to send their own reporter to cover the story for them, it is for the better. In saying that, here in Queensland where they are low on staff, WIN have been sending reporters to TVQ for stints. JohnPaul Gonzo is one of them and he is very good.

1 Like

Is this correct? Wasnā€™t John Paul just freelancing for 10 to cover maternity leave, and has now been picked up as part of the wider team? Same goes for Sammy Butler, formerly of WIN News, who has recently joined the team - both great additions might I add.

1 Like

Does 10 have anyone in the small town of Mallacoota yet?? Nine/Seven and the ABC all have reporters there ready to cover the evacuation by sea.

1 Like

Fair enough mate. Iā€™m not sure what Lancaster meant when he said ā€œstrong collaborationā€ but Iā€™d say that we work really well with WIN. Obviously in NSW iā€™d love if they still had a presence in Central West & Riverina but thatā€™s well above my pay grade

10 Likes

Ten have finally made the decision to send a reporter to Mallacoota. Natasha Exelby is currently on a boat on her way in.

7 Likes

No, they havenā€™t. John Paul was employed on maternity leave cover - covering Lauren and Now Pippa, and Sam Butler has been employed to essentially replace Tegan.

3 Likes