Ten News Centralisation 2020

I find it hard to believe Perth won’t get a local bulletin from Narelda starting from 7pm Sydney (8pm during daylight savings).

1 Like

Nope - Sandra Sully will be doing the bulletin for Sydney, Brisbane & Perth

2 Likes

Georgina Lewis is the best newsreader in Brisbane, IMO, across both 9 and 7’s 6pm News and ABC’s 7pm News. She’s been with them for over 20 years.

Bailey and Larkin also with 10 for decades so terrible news all round.

Tough for Monika, made redundant twice in under a year. They only just hired her.

6 Likes

Surely Perth won’t be getting 2-3 hours old news with a rugby league sports focus?

2 Likes

There is no way they will do a 3 hour delayed bulletin for Perth. That would be shocking!

Side note, this means that Sandra will be about 3/4’s back to her national identity within the network.

2 Likes

Will be very interesting to see if any of the axed presenters get snapped up by the other networks.

3 Likes

It seems like (and I’m just guessing here) there’ll be a ‘core’ bulletin (ie; featuring national/international reports) and relevant reports for each state will be inserted into that

This is terrible news. Even worse than the November 2012 & May 2014 cutbacks because fundamental core basics (like having a locally produced news service in Brisbane/Adelaide/Perth) are now being affected.

Hopefully, but current media job prospects don’t look good. For some presenters (definitely Tim Bailey, I think) this will likely result in the end of media careers.

6 Likes

Natarsha Belling leaving the network too according to Mumbrella.

3 Likes

Bad news for people affected in the latest job cuts, especially Monika Kos. How many more talented people would have to be let go before 10 reaches the bottom?
And the problem is other networks may not be able to hire them due to their own cost-cutting measures, so these presenters will be forced to leave the media industry altogether.

Monika Kos axed after just a few months on air

6 Likes

Also a tragic way for Sandra Sully to regain (almost all of) her national profile.

I agree. Also, how do we know that there aren’t further cutbacks to come?!

1 Like

Sounds like a local reporter trying to emphasise there will still be local stories.

1 Like

Yuck. Beverley and Co doing what they are best at and driving what was once my favourite network into the ground.

RIP. Goodbye

5 Likes

There are 2 distinct versions of the story.

The SMH version that describes just 2 combined bulletins - one for Sydney, Brisbane and Perth and one for Melbourne and Adelaide.

Other sources (in my reading) suggest 2 “studio centers” for news production. But separate bulletins being produced for each market from those centres with the same presenters being used across bulletins.

4 Likes

Is this a hidden way to get out of the News game entirely? Watch the ratings fall to very low insignificant levels and then justify the axe across the board? Nobody is going to watch pre-recorded news (DST times) in places like Brisbane when Seven and Nine have current and live offerings.

Ten have clearly been watching what Seven is doing with their 4pm News in Melbourne/Adelaide.

2 Likes

So produce it like the old Nine Regional bulletins or NBN now - pre-recorded segments with parts going live?

1 Like

Sounds like a complete worst case is one national bulletin for the entire country (please never get to this point).
They can’t exit it entirely as I believe there are quotas that need to be met.

4 Likes

I’ve been saying it for a few years. I think we will eventually see them move to national bulletins across all networks. With television ratings continuing to drop, Australia isn’t big enough to sustain multiple bulletins across the country with a population as small as ours.

3 Likes

I understand news quotas only apply to regional stations in QLD/NSW/VIC and Australian content in Primetime (from 6pm). This is how 4BC Brisbane was able to pump in wall-to-wall Sydney content for ages. They took advantage of the law.