Ten Network & Paramount+ 2024

Just pitiful. What really irks me is the lack of first run Australian drama. Yes I’m sure they’ll tout Neighbours failure as reason why Aus drama doesn’t work on Freeview, but the failures have all been poorly written junk or given hideous timeslots. What really shits me is that certain programmes can have several seasons of failures or be losing demo and total viewers year on year and they still get the royal treatment yet if an Aus drama isn’t an immediate success it’s ‘see I told you no one wants to watch Australian drama.’ The failure to see what potential Australian drama can be to a network is just baffling, especially if they had an in house drama division where they could cut the middle man out.

The Australian government squeals every time about sport potentially going behind a paywall yet they fail to give a shit when something worthwhile like Aus drama that has enormous economical and cultural benefits actually has gone behind a paywall. Figures.

As for the rest of their line up, well at least 10 will be cemented as the fourth rated network by the end of next year and it will be an even bigger decline than this year given their output.

Gladiators will be a flop along the lines of Million Dollar Island, Holey Moley & Tag. Is anyone really clamouring for a relic from the 90s that involves copious amounts of roids and HGH.

10 are still trying to make Graham Norton happen despite his niche appeal in Australia and his programme having viewers deserting Sunday night in droves. That bodes well. As does the success of the Magda Weakest Link, oh that’s right…

Friday night is dead thanks to being left to rot for years and no amount of half hearted commissions is going to change that. At least Ready, Steady, Cook will be cheap tat that won’t cost too much.

Deal or No Deal will be an epic flop. It’s sandwiched in between two underperforming News products, not to mention how jarring is it going to be to go from news to gameshow to the Project. It’s been tried before and its failed even with Grant hosting.

Isn’t the definition of insanity doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results?

Not sure why 10 is wasting money on 4 Masterchef judges when 2 would suffice, especially as the ratings are declining. Do they think having an extra judge will increase viewership? They might as well burn the money.

9 Likes

Angela Bishop’s report

5 Likes

So how much drama is 7 and 9 producing? And I don’t mean MAFS. :grin: I am slightly disappointed with 10’s slate of programming but will still be my commercial go to in 2024. 7 and 9 are crap IMO.

1 Like

10’s Upfronts and shows seem to generate at least as much commentary as the rest of the networks combined. Perhaps a reflection on some of their decisions but also on how boring the other upfronts were this year :smile:

There seems to be some attempt to address problem areas plus bring new (if recycled) shows to air, rather than the rinse and repeat approach that Nine and then Seven seemed to have this year.

1 Like

They are all bad in that respect. Not one new title or project between the 3 of them, unless we go to a Stan or Paramount paywall. Meanwhile, more reality shows and remakes of shows best forgotten. E.g. Gladiators.

I will prob be the same but that’s more the Bradbury effect. Ten only gets in front because the other two are of nil interest.

Although credit to Ten at least with keeping comedy shows like HYBPA, Cheap Seats, etc.

1 Like

10 sort of go ok with programming from 7:30 most nights it’s just they don’t have the news or sport the other have to be competitive, particularly on weekends.

In the US prime time ratings are only counted 8-10 weeknights and 7-10 on weekends. All the local and syndicated programming are for local stations. The way 10 is structured without news and sport as a foundation makes it at a competitive disadvantage.

Isn’t it 8-11?

Ahh yes Fox and The CW is 8-10 and CBS, NBC and ABC are 8-11.

Interesting commentary from media buyers on the paramount upfront. Mostly positive but nearly all comments stating the obvious about the lack of sport on the network,

The fact they aren’t active in the rights market is really stark. They aren’t even trying. They should be gathering a portfolio of smaller rights to showcase their sporting credentials.

1 Like

But they did that with both big bash and now A league and NBL and it Dosent get recognized when it comes to the big negotiations

I’m talking more than that. One of events, world cups, other international sports. Go back to when they had the afl rights and they had other sports alongside.

1 Like

You keep saying that, but bidding processes are often confidential and we don’t know the full story about negotiations/offers.

The longer they’re without sport, whether lack of trying or not, they’ll continue to struggle to be seen as a credible network for any sporting organisation to work with and it will inherently be harder for them to pick up any decent rights worth going for.

Going for smaller tier rights really doesn’t do them any favours either, the return wouldn’t be there without other sports propositions, and they don’t have the audience who will casually tune in either. I think no matter which way they go, they’re up against it with the other commercials / steamers.

With some advancements in P+ recently with pause and rewind and coming up with the premier tier launching 4K UHD, HDR10, Dolby Vision etc then they may be taken more seriously.

2 Likes

Few updates post upfronts

Would like to see them go with Locations again, maybe try it in another slot / night?

Biggest problem with WILTY was the host, if they cast that different I’m sure it could’ve done well.

3 Likes

Location, Location, Location should stay on Friday nights if it get renewed. Combined with Ready Steady Cook and Wheel of Fortune (hosted by Graham Norton) it will fill up the Friday night 7.30pm timeslot for the ratings season.

Also as I said earlier, Location, Location, Location should be scheduled during the spring property season.

Totally agree. And the ratings showed that the week the said hosted HYBPA, poorest results all year.

1 Like

Don’t agree, Chrissy did a good job! If Location, Location, Location had had different hosts it might have been successful and I’d have watched. Can’t stand those two ex-Block clowns and their “over acting”. Before anyone mentions sexuality that’s not why I dislike them. As someone of the same ilk I find them embarrasing and totally wrong for this show.

I think the concept is flawed. I watched a few episodes. In every case, they rejected the real estate that was being showcased on the show and the participants ended up with something else. That made the show pointless.

1 Like

Fine to disagree, we all have our preferences. But there’s a reason it didn’t rate better and get an instant renewal, and it’s not the format. The international version often tops the multichannel list for repeat episodes.

I’m sure you can critique someone better than calling them clowns, and I haven’t seen anyone bring anything up about their sexuality, they’re certainly out there but they are unapologetic about who they are.

I had my own apprehensions about them as a hosting due when it was announced as I know they can be polarizing, but I soon overlooked that when I actually watched the show and warmed to them with their property knowledge and empathy - both key for this type of show.

That is, if you can get past the corny attempt at banter at the beginning of each episode :woozy_face:

2 Likes

To be fair, the corny banter is one of the appeals of the UK version - Phil and Kirstie love to ham it up. I thought the AU version was very watchable and deserves a season 2 somewhere on the schedule.

1 Like

There’s corny and then there’s overproduced or manufactured banter, unfortunately for them it felt like the latter.

Would also like to see them do another season.