Ten Network 2021

I’m glad they’re doing a third season of “How To Stay Married”. A shame they didn’t greenlight any other comedies from their pilot weeks.

No mention of the other drama which was a co-production with Channel 5, originally titled Breathless. I think production might have been interrupted by lockdowns. Did it ever resume?

4 Likes

10 News First will present the biggest and most comprehensive coverage of local, national and international news stories

Biggest and most comprehensive coverage? Well I mean you’d assume there would be local bulletins for this to be the case.

7 Likes

Considering they’ve grown their audience this year, viewers certainly don’t think that…

4 Likes

I’ll keep an open mind for Making It, doesn’t seem like my kind of thing, but might find a family audience.

Otherwise seems like there is more outgoing shows than incoming. and of the shows that are returning; The Bachelor franchise is getting stale and the danger of over-reliance on MC has been shown before. ten should be getting ahead of their black holes if they want to avoid the horrors they have faced in the past, that took a decade to get out of.

3 Likes

Such a shame Dancing with the Stars isn’t coming back although I’m not surprised at all.

Nice to see some new formats on 10. Everything else is the same which is very boring.

2 Likes

Wtf :joy:

3 Likes

10 are rejigging it’s lineup next year:

Amazing Race and Masked Singer bumped up to Q1 to air after I’m a Celebrity.

Making It and Dog House to air in Q2 with MadterChef, 10 also confirming a normal season with ordinary Australians next year.

6 Likes

He has been dropped from his presenting role at E! I believe. I wouldn’t be surprised if a return to Network 10 or CBS is on the cards.

Surprising that Nine didn’t take on the format considering their current investments occurring in the NT. Driving Test is also on repeat mode…

4 Likes

Tweedie is so bland, so perfect for an Australian presenter

2 Likes

I’m surprised 10 aren’t trying more factual series, it’s good (and was very obvious) they were going to do a local series of The Dog House but what about One Born Every Minute, Secret Life of 4/5 Year Olds etc.

Ambulance Australia barley rated a mention, no details on the return of Territory Cops and of course
Bondi Rescue was going to be renewed… again.

Drama barely rated a mention either, S2 of Five Bedrooms now coming next year and while it’s great HTSM is coming back after increasing its audience this year… but surely they would have another commission to announce!

Also what about With Intent (previously Breathless) which wasn’t mentioned. Could this be a Paramount+ original series to relaunch the streamer next year? It was being produced as 4 x 60 min episodes so would be good for a streaming mini-series rather than broadcast.

1 Like

Unless if I’ve missed something, looks like there’s no Grant Denyer next year.

3 Likes

This afternoon’s upfront presentation had no surprises, just rehashing the information posted on media releases (and News Corp papers) early this morning. The only new bit is that Paramount+ will have Australian-made originals from next year.
Next year 10 should follow other networks by releasing program details after the presentation.
Also, 10 has not thought of its programming plans against the rescheduled Tokyo Olympics. Will it show first-run programs against Games coverage on Seven?

2 Likes

I think this is a really clever idea and it will give people an Osher break.

2 Likes

I think it’s part of their strategy to get people talking about it before the presentation, but these upfronts are increasingly becoming less about programming announcements and more aimed at advertisers so it’s not really surprising there wasn’t really any new information presented but rather focused on data / technology / integration etc.

Worth remembering that even though new announcements were very light on, its entirely possible that 10 could commission and air new series next year similarly to Masked Singer / Amazing Race last year.

If they’re as committed to their consistent 50 week schedule as they say that they are, no doubt they’ll need more content for the back half of next year.

5 Likes

I still reckon these will be cancelled so not much to worry about for 10.

4 Likes

That logo looks like Ten - That’s Entertainment - circa 1991.

Predict Making It Australia will be the biggest flop of 2021. Uninspiring upfronts.

1 Like

I have watched both series on Foxtel @nimeton - really nice series. Got the same kind of charm as Lego Masters. I am tipping Grant for this series.

3 Likes

God, please no.

But 10 announced that hosts and judges will be announced soon - specially mentioning it will be hosted by comedians so I think we are safe :grimacing:

2 Likes

Also missing from today’s upfronts are announcements on Australian drama, apart from the rescheduling of Five Bedrooms season 2 and Dive Club for 10Peach. In May last year 10 revealed an adaptation of best-selling novel The Secrets She Keeps. What’s happened to With Intent (formerly known as Breatheless) which is co-produced with Channel 5 UK? Is 10 planning another drama down the track?

1 Like

So it seems the reality slate 2020 vs. 2021 is:

OUT: DWTS, Junior MC, Bachelor in Paradise
IN: TARau, Making it

the dog show seems more like something from the factual/ entertainment slate, which also has a lot of axings.
There should be atleast one big ticket commission still to come to air late 2021.

3 Likes