Ten Network 2020

This is similar to the storyline in The Ex-PM. Maybe we need another season of that show.

1 Like

If Seven didn’t have a strong 6-730 - they would be the #2 or #3 network

If 10 had a strong 6-730, they would be the #2 network

They REALLY need to build 6-730 to be a serious contender.

The Project is awesome and does well at 7, but 6-7 has been a problem slot. Aussies want news there.

I think they need to work what will work best - but a smart strong local news at 6 - take on the bug guys - and market t well, and sit and let it build. Just leave it! If they are nervous they can trial in one market for 6 months - say Brisbane,

Trial Ten News First at 6 for 6 months

6-7 should be 10’s focus in 2020 - it;'s what holds them back

2 Likes

Yeah. Most people won’t get home from work until 5:30pm to watch the news. The problem for 10 at 6pm is Celebrity Name Game and this has been beaten heavily by 7 News and 9 news. Last year, Family Feud ended and was replaced by Pointless with Andrew Rochford and Mark Humphries. The first few eps has simulcast but then reverted to a single channel only. A few months ago, Pointless was replaced by CNG and ratings were soft hovering around 200-250k mark nationally. Another problem to fix 6pm timeslot for TEN is a simulcast of CNG on Bold and Peach. That way it could boost the numbers, however it will be beaten by 7 and 9 News. (5 years ago, they’ve done it with Family Feud and was successful. Time will tell in 2020.

1 Like

If I wanted to watch Judge Judy or Frasier on Peach or Bold and it was replaced by a simulcast of Celebrity Name Game I would find something else to watch. I don’t think simulcasts boost ratings, I think they do the opposite as it forces people who would have watched whatever was on the multichannel to switch to another channel or service.

2 Likes

Sounds cool, I can see Ten willing to axe Couch Time for it

Couch Time wound up on 31 March 2017, so it’s well and truly finished now.

5 Likes

I was thinking Ten could try an Australian version of Gogglesprogs (Gogglebox but with children rather than families) at one point…

1 Like

Thought this for a while. But kids stuff on 10 doesn’t seem to work. I would rather 10/Foxtel split the season in 3 next year and do 8 episodes in each part rather than the two lots of 10.

2 Likes

I really thing all the “kids” versions of shows are quite trite. Kids master chef was a flop as was the voice kids. The spelling bee shit was an abject failure.

1 Like

While a kids or celebrity version of Gogglebox might be OK as a one-off special, I personally wouldn’t like to see a full series of it.

I’d definitely like to see an additional season during the year (there’s a major gap during Winter), but how many of the Gogglebox households are willing to commit to 24 weeks a year?

Right now, I think the best way to refresh Gogglebox would be to bring in some new households and increase the variety of program genres reviewed. I’m already sick of seeing The Bachelor and Australian Survivor on there most weeks…and we’re only four episodes into the current season!

2 Likes

Yeah my reason for the shorter seasons was the fact that a lot said it was too long of a commitment. If they broke it up they could use different households for the different seasons and that way different shows would be reviewed all the time.

I’d prefer to see a celebrity charity version of Gogglebox than a kids version.

5 Likes

Didn’t the AFL Footy Show have a segment that was sort of their own celebrity Gogglebox?

3 Likes

I don’t watch sport but I know ABC’s The Weekly did a few Gogglebox-esque sketches and they were hilarious.

2 Likes

I think a local version of ‘What Would You Do?’ with Lee Lin Chin as host would be the perfect mid year replacement for Gogglebox.

4 Likes

Yep, I believe The AFL Footy Show segment was called “Footybox”. In it, players would review various AFL panel discussion shows…or something like that.

TBH I’m still surprised (but at the same time, thankful) that The NRL Footy Show didn’t attempt to do a dodgy Gogglebox-esque segment of their own with Andrew Johns watching The Matty Johns Show or something equally dire.

The Feed also did something Gogglebox-esque in 2017 where they got a bunch of Middle Eastern families to review Here Come The Habibs which I daresay, was probably the segment which inspired the producers to get Matty, Sarah Marie & Jad on board later that year.

Still waiting for the day Australia’s top media enthusiasts (well OK, maybe not me) get to do something Gogglebox-esque. Now THAT is ratings topping, award winning television! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

What can Ten do to fix Saturdays in 2020?

Just keep airing movies perhaps but …

Bring back, assuming rights are available, Australia’s Funniest Home Videos (apparently last aired on Ch 9 in 2014?) at 7.30pm presented by perhaps… Amanda Keller?

This surely could appeal to the generation who is probably home and to parents.

Wow - America’s version still going .

They do drag shows out forever though. Way past their Use By date.

At the moment, 10’s ratings on Saturday nights have been woeful being placed 4th and on rare occasions SBS even beat 10. Channel 10 needs high quality programming on Saturday nights to tackle Seven when having AFL and Nine with NRL. Channel 10 want to be more competitive next year with the ratings.
Revival of AFHV on TEN but with a different host. Nine rested this show after 2014.

2 Likes

No. They axed it and for good reasons.

2 Likes