Ten (Mildura Digital Television)

I would guess that they would generate more revenue from Nine programming than 10, so it would be on air for longer.

WIN would probably have axed all news content by this point.

2 Likes

WIN themselves would be the ones in danger of going off air, but they seem pretty resilient given they kept most of their local bulletins on air during the 10 affiliation.

3 Likes

As it stands, I think the best case scenario is that one of secondary channels on either WIN or 7will carry any major sporting events that 10 have the rights to. I think it’s possible that even NBL could make it to a secondary channel, but if I was in Mildura viewing area, I wouldn’t get too hopeful

1 Like

The NBL and the A-League are not on the anti-siphoning list. The Australian F1 GP, the Australian MotoGP and some Socceroos matches are the only 10-telecast sports on the list. As such either 7 or WIN will have to show these in Mildura.

2 Likes

The problem is they aren’t going to sign another contract that will allow either to air 10 programs, so they won’t be shown.

That’s actually not how the anti-siphoning list works. The rules don’t impose any restrictions of requirements on free to air, so there is no requirement for a free to air broadcaster to show an event on the anti-siphoning list.

It is instead a restriction of pay TV operators, banning them from acquiring rights to certain events unless a free-to-air stations (or group of free-to-air stations) covering more than 50% of the population has already acquired free-to-air rights, or it is 26 week or less until the event.

As such, a change to just Mildura will change nothing. Seven or WIN may choose to purchase the rights from Ten to show that event in Mildura, but they don’t have to.

https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/department/media/publications/anti-siphoning

7 Likes

No US stations are doing things unless they make money either. If there is not the advertising to pay for it, how would it help putting 10 on one of the Seven or Nine multi channels?

1 Like

less the cost of using a separate (MDT) transmitter?

audience/ad revenue for a Ten channel would be higher than a Seven or WIN multi-channel?

Having only one Ten channel instead of three would reduce the huge gaps in ad inventory on MDT currently?

whoever hosts Ten as a multi gets the ad revenue that would previously been split between them under the MDT arrangement?

tbh I don’t know the answers to these just putting them out as suggestions for why it might make better financial sense to run at least the Ten main channel as a Seven or WIN multi rather than as the JV.

4 Likes

Ten in regional markets often out-rates WIN, and its multi channels are usually among the top 3-4.

The perception of Ten’s programming is what is killing its viability.

2 Likes

The special provisions apply to provide the mechanism for allocation, and then the exemption to the 1 TV channel per market rule. They are otherwise a normal license, we got very close to one of them being force sold, which would have seen SCA (then as Macquarie) own Prime’s half MDT, and Prime own half of DDT.

That only fell through because once Macquarie won on appeal to not need to sell their TDT stake, they just kept it.

I do think the only way Ten will remain on TV in some regional markets is flipping affiliation on its head - pay WIN/Seven for access to their spectrum like TVSN or something, but keep 100% of ad revenue. The problem would be - you’d need to block out any anti-siphoning list content, as it would be a ‘multichannel’ at that point. Most of it ends up getting an exemption from the list once the rights are sold, but that’s one area where some legislative assistance would help.

Long term, it just makes sense to fall down to 2 or even 1 broadcast frequency in regional areas - the high cost of those transmitters, especially repeater sites covering small populations, would be the biggest contributor to not being able to break even on TV.

Ideally legislatively you’d be able to create a new category of ‘ensemble’ license, like how DAB works, so that there’s not a liability on the part of the license holder for content from a third party, as well as then making a clearer thing the government could more reasonably subsidise in regional areas, helping pay transmission costs to equalise with regional areas is a lot more transparent than just giving them another tax break they pass on to shareholders.

One other problem is that a trigger event for more local content hovers over these Ten licenses - if you bought them off SCA, you’d have a higher cost base than SCA currently has for them. And you can only do Seven’s trick of ignoring that for so long.

3 Likes

This is why I said the best case scenario was for those sports 10 Network screens might carry major sporting events or those of significance. Since the 1980s NBL has been telecast on FTA in an ad hoc fashion across all the networks, most recently on secondary channels. Even if NBL (oor the A-League) did feature on this list, I think it is about as likely as 7 or WIN airing MasterChef or I’m a Celebrity on a secondary channel- in other words highly improbable. 7 or WIN are not going to give 10 a free plug unless it’s unavoidable, and it’s highly likely there would be references to 10Play during sports telecasts, which to me lessens the possibility of screening these sports as anti-siphoning lists only protects them from being behind a paywall, it doesn’t ensure a FTA broadcast.

And given it will only be in Mildura region at this point, I don’t think SBS or ABC will fill the void. If all the JVs did, then it would be a strong possibility that ABC or SBS might as remote areas would likely take a Tasmanian feed of whichever broadcasted these sport events ( either ABC or SBS)

1 Like

PTV (7) and STV (WIN9) would both love to get the Australian F1 and Moto GPs as motorsport means more ad revenue and the Australian F1 GP had its highest ever ratings this year.

1 Like

More likely they won’t bother. Costs money to separate the schedule for such a small market. They may get some national buys, but Seven Affiliate Sales and Nine Regional Sales would have to make an effort to get those national buys in. National buyers might not bother with such a small market in any case. There is no requirement this content has to be aired in Mildura. Anti-Siphoning does not even cover that.

Add to this, my understanding is that WIN could not break away unless it was to gain permission from Nine as part of their current affiliation contract? The only permission Nine has given is for WIN News breakaways?

1 Like

Has been since the very start. It has had varying degrees of Govt subsidies from multiple levels of Govt from day 1 in 1988, and still continues to receive subsidies. If the Fed Govt did not subsidise VAST transmission as it does now, Imparja would be long gone.

1 Like

I wonder if there’ll be any sort of farewell or acknowledgement come June 30th assuming there’s no form of intervention in the meantime.

Having said that, any kind of farewell will find it hard to top that of 10 Local News North Queensland back in 2001 when that bulletin was shut down (especially at 6:33). (credit: Youtube/Paul Lyons)

7 Likes

Doubt there will be anything. The playout feeds will most likely end with a ‘This Service Is Now Closed’ graphic if they even bother. Most likely the MDV transmitter will be switched off at the stroke of midnight on July 1 with no fanfare or notice at all.

3 Likes

NRN and GTS/BKN did not even get the opportunity to do even that. Those bulletins were axed with immediate effect with no allowance to say goodbye to their audiences for one last time. TNQ were lucky to do so.

5 Likes

CTC didn’t even air a final bulletin IIRC - staff were told they could do one last bulletin if they wanted to, but they chose not to.

4 Likes

@televisionau is correct that if WIN or 7 aired the 10 Network main channel, it would probably earn more revenue (and possibly attract a greater audience), but I can only see this happening if either WIN or 7 were interested in keeping 10 on air AND it was economical for them to do so.

I’m not confident this will happen because it’s unclear if the entire operations of both networks are running at a loss or whether it’s just the JV, as it’s only been said about the JV being a loss making exercise

1 Like

How can it earn more revenue from the existing pie in such a small market? There was a reason Mildura was not included in Aggregation in the first place.
I dare say both the WIN and SEVEN services in Mildura barely break even themselves, possibly national buys just keeps them on the air?

1 Like