Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

Ten Eyewitness News has a great graphics package already.

They should really be spending their money beefing up and investing in growth areas of news consumption - that is online, mobile, apps and social. TV News is a declining medium - especially for Ten viewers who are younger than 7 and 9 viewers.

Ten has the weakest online / social news of any of the 4 main news networks.

They are so far behind. They need to be investing to put the news where people are: online and on mobile.

4 Likes

You don’t grow any business by not investing.

If you don’t spend money today to invest, tomorrow there will be no income.

4 Likes

From what I’ve heard and seen, there were/are a number of jobs available at Tens News department…
As well as social media jobs.

I wonder how long it will take before they release their financials and cut the newsroom again.

1 Like

Financials were out last week

http://forums.mediaspy.org/t/ten-network-holdings/590/36?u=tv.cynic

Network Ten today announced the appointment of John Choueifate as Executive Director, News. The appointment is effective 1 May.

John Choueifate Appointed Executive Director, News

Network Ten today announced the appointment of John Choueifate as Executive Director, News effective 1 May.

Mr Choueifate was previously Network News Director, a role he has held since June 2014. He joined Network Ten in December 2013 as Director of News, Sydney.

Peter Meakin will take on the new role of Executive Consultant, News and Current Affairs, on 1 May. Mr Meakin joined Network Ten in February 2014 as Executive Director, News and Current Affairs.

Network Ten Chief Executive Officer, Paul Anderson, said: “Peter has made an important and valuable contribution to our news and current affairs programs over the past two years, in particular to The Project, and I’m delighted that he is staying with us in his new role.

“John is one of the best and most experienced news and current affairs executives in Australia. Under his direction, the TEN Eyewitness News First At Five bulletins have continued to dominate their timeslots around the country and have continued to deliver compelling and informative news to our viewers seven days a week.”

Mr Meakin said: “I am delighted to be continuing my association with The Project and Studio 10, working closely with Chief Programming Officer Beverley McGarvey. I hold Chouf in enormously high regard and TEN News will be in safe hands with him.”

Mr Choueifate said: “I would like to thank Peter for his guidance at Ten over the past two years.

“I’m thrilled to be leading an enthusiastic and committed team. There are many exciting opportunities

3 Likes

Is he the reason we can expect to see changes? :stuck_out_tongue:

Ten fiddling around edges again with no real interest in developing the news brand with any news bulletins or US/UK bureaus.

2 Likes

“I’m thrilled to be leading an enthusiastic and committed team. There are many exciting opportunities that lie ahead and I’m keen to continue to grow TEN News across all platforms.”

Good initial signs.

1 Like

What has Meakin done for the last two years? He’s pretty much overseen the worst two years in ten news history.

4 Likes

The massive investment in a US or UK bureau would do nothing for the bulletins. Focus on what they have, not pie in the sky ideas. Perhaps with John now running the newsrooms things might change… he did fight for the extra few staff about 6 months ago.

1 Like

Exactly what I thought when I read that. There’s been nothing noticeable at all since his arrival.

Not Meakin’s fault - his staff and budget were taken away from him almost as soon as he began.

Are you referring to Meakin?

Are the weather segments on TENFAF Sydney and the National bulletin pre-recorded? If not why don’t the presenters join the team at the desk and present the weather in front of the videowall?

I’m pretty sure that the weather segments are presented live, because we can see the weather (Hooray for Tim Bailey in HD! :stuck_out_tongue: ) in native HD. If they weren’t live, we would most likely be seeing the weather in blurry SD, like the pre-recorded crosses which was so blatant during the very first edition of Ten Eyewitness News: First At Five Sydney to be shown on Ten HD back in Early March.

2 Likes

Have you ever actually seen Tim Bailey present the weather? He requires an awful lot of room for his nightly aerobics routine aka weather forecast.

3 Likes

hopefully a budget special bulletin this year. If not, I can live without it.