Ten News First Content and Appearance (2015-Sept 2020)

There’s always someone covering the news regardless of what time and where.

My understanding is Sydney have staff on hand until 7.30. Melbourne also have The Project if need be.

2 Likes

Oh okay, do they usually keep one of the presenters around too?

I just remember how it was quite a poignant and embarrassing moment when a Ten news update (that had to have been pre-recorded) at around 7:30 a few years ago aired details about Peter Grestre that were very obviously old and taken before he was either sentenced or freed (can’t quite remember) at about 6-7 that night.

It gave them a really bad look so it’s interesting to see how different it is nowadays.

[quote=“CLEW9, post:307, topic:61”]
I just remember how it was quite a poignant and embarrassing moment when a Ten news update (that had to have been pre-recorded) at around 7:30 a few years ago aired details about Peter Grestre that were very obviously old and taken before he was either sentenced or freed (can’t quite remember) at about 6-7 that night
[/quote] You just reminded me of a moment from 2011. FNQ was expecting Cyclone Yasi, and I was watching Ten Early News with Ron Wilson and Kath Robinson. They said that the cyclone wasn’t expected to hit and was downgrading MEANWHILE Sunrise and Today reported (which turned out to be fully correct) that the cyclone was going to hit the coast within the next few hours. If it wasn’t for a relly, I would never had known til later that day!

Updates are usually recorded straight after the 5pm bulletin unless there is a developing story which was the case last night. If something major breaks after the East Coast has shut up shop they have the option to do national updates from Perth.

1 Like

I know Seven and Nine do this, but I’ve never seen Ten go out national from Perth before?

3 Likes

In Sydney, I saw Narelda Jacobs doing updates from Perth when Molly Meldrum had his fall and appeared to be close to death.

2 Likes

Sydney is the news ‘hub’ for TEN, which means there’s still some form of presence there until at least Perth finishes. I believe their chief of staff is on 24x7 too and they’d have the power to call in staff or make things happen.

That said though, as I understand it , the probability of the crew’s release was high at around 6pm… so they would’ve asked staff to stay back.

3 Likes

I’ve just seen some tweaked graphics this morning… not sure when they might launch.

5 Likes

Any major change?

1 Like

Alright, I’m going to say the R word.

In a few weeks I hear…

11 Likes

Keeping the same basic style, but significant changes.

5 Likes

any idea if they are keeping the Eyewitness News branding?

1 Like

Is there a chance the newer style Ten logo could be one of those changes?

Yep, Ten has done a great job with the Eyewitness News branding in the past 4 years. Stands out from the rest of the channels IMO.

3 Likes

For all of the instability in the newsroom during that time, I personally think that the current branding of Ten Eyewitness News has actually held up pretty well over the last two and a half years or so and is still relatively fresh compared with the news branding of a certain other network…

It’ll be interesting to see what the next generation of Ten’s news branding is like. Just as long as there isn’t yet another change to the name of the bulletin, the current theme music is kept (or at least any new version/remix of the theme music doesn’t completely butcher the signature tune, like the 2011-13 versions or Seven News’ latest versions of their theme) and there’s some promotion of the relaunch, I’ll be satisfied. :slightly_smiling:

2 Likes

Yes.

It seems to be bringing some elements into the rest of the package.

I didn’t see, but you’d have to hope.

I’m pretty sure the names and music are staying as is. This is more like version 1.5 rather than version 2.

9 Likes

Thanks for the inside information as always @lexington, something to look forward to.

TEN Brisbane recorded some really good numbers last night, higher than Sydney & Melbourne too.

Whilst I think the graphics still look relatively good, a slight refresh would be a good addition to the current prospect of more reporters/producers being added.

Let’s hope this includes some sort of promotion for the news services also.

5 Likes

…and what about the “First At Five” element of the name? If that’s to be kept, I think there needs to be a bit more emphasis on that in the branding and promotion of the bulletin. With a bit more thought put into things, I think that the “First At Five” element of the name can actually really be a strong element of the brand.

If you were to ask me, promos highlighting exclusive stories as being seen “First At Five on Ten Eyewitness News” (Eg, “The decision on a multi-million dollar transformation of one of Sydney’s biggest shopping centres is something you’ll see tomorrow First At Five on Ten Eyewitness News”) and even just simple things like getting the presenters to start the News Updates and bulletin Openers with “First At Five on Ten Eyewitness News…” would add a bit of authority to the brand.

1 Like