Ten Cricket Coverage

There was a prospect of Ten not having all exclusive matches to BBL as it may well have given up some matches to Fox Sports in exchange of getting the AFL rights. However that never materialized

Ten would have been mad. Big Bash does better than a saturday afternoon AFL match.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, TEN is paying Cricket Australia nothing to air the woman’s games either. Sure there would be production costs, but most of the time the crew is already in place. Seems like a win win to me.

That was the case last year. Im not too sure if it would be the case this year. Women Big Bash did ok over the summer. Its not a bad idea to play all games as a prematch to the mens game.

1 Like

Looks like Cricket Australia have been really supportive of Ten, by adjusting the schedule next year so that it runs right up until the day before the next season of I’m a Celebrity is expected to start.

4 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: I’m a Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here!

Exactly. It’s cheap sports filler, as their cupboard is otherwise bare.

This combination of words actually has no meaning.

1 Like

I haven’t seen 7 and 9 televising women’s sport in prime time on the main channel. The network is televising 2 extra matches of WBBL and more matches on the main channel and more importantly in prime time.

…because they have limited other sporting rights, and because their main station is bare at the best of times, let alone in the middle of summer.

What does “faith in women’s sport” mean, apart from what I’ve just said?

1 Like

The network is showing 2 matches in prime time on Ten. Which is unheard of today in women’s sport

Yes, because Ten is a commercial broadcaster - a struggling one which is attempting to fill their on air time with cheap programming.

Nothing to do with “faith” in sports played by a certain gender - “Mr Channel Ten” is not praying at the Altar-of-Women’s-Sports. Hate bullshit cliches that have no meaning.

SEVEN’S TENNIS: 2016 AUSTRALIAN OPEN – WOMEN’S FINAL Network Seven 1,393,000 347,000 572,000 237,000 113,000 123,000

Good luck BBL. Terrible scheduling decision.

it would mean that Ten and Cricket Australia are confident with their product. It shows they aren’t scared about going head to head with the Women’s Final.

The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has announced an open tender process for allocating the Indian Premier League’s global broadcasting rights. It has placed a big advertisement in today’s Herald Sun classifieds section (reposted below) seeking interest from Australian TV networks in showing the IPL. Ten last showed the tournament a decade ago, should it get involved again, given a dozen Australian players play in various teams each year?

1 Like

Sadly, Ten doesn’t have the money

Wasn’t it too expensive anyway.

Considering every other cricket country has IPL coverage on tv except us, i think it’s our networks who are being stingy. Hence the classified ad.

Well that isn’t our tv execs fault. When the IPL won’t budge on a billion dollar contract - 200,000 a year. For a tournament that could get viewers when it was last on Ten, then it is understandable that free to air or foxtel won’t touch it. It aired late night and repeats don’t rate, fair enough. The IPL need to look at it and understand the cost is way too much and that TV Networks won’t make money off of it.

###KFC Big Bash League Tickets Go On Sale.
Network Ten Announces New Children’s BBL And WBBL Show.
Crash The Bash Coming To TEN And WIN Network.

Tickets for the sixth season of the KFC Big Bash League (BBL) go on sale tomorrow, 7 October, giving fans around the country their chance to secure a place at the fast paced family fun that has quickly become must-attend summer entertainment.

Entry level prices for BBL|06 remain unchanged on previous years, with adult tickets from $20, kids tickets from $5, and family tickets from $42.50*, cementing the BBL as some of the most affordable and exciting family entertainment options in the country.

The KFC BBL has established its popularity with fans young and old thanks to the combination of fast-paced action on field and family-friendly entertainment and atmosphere off-field. This is set to be taken to new heights this year, thanks to an exciting partnership with global kid’s entertainment brand Nickelodeon.

The summer of Big Bash fun will begin with a free, carnival-style opening weekend of the Rebel WBBL on Saturday, 10 December and Sunday, 11 December at North Sydney Oval. With all WBBL clubs in attendance, six matches being played over the course of the two days, and plenty of family fun throughout the North Sydney Oval precinct, this weekend is the perfect start to the season.

Comprising of 35 games in 40 days played across the school holidays– and all broadcast live and free on Network Ten – the KFC BBL|06 begins on Tuesday, 20 December with BBL|05 reigning champions Sydney Thunder hosting the Sydney Sixers in the Sydney Smash at Spotless Stadium. Other season highlights include the Hobart Hurricanes vs Melbourne Stars Boxing Day match at Blundstone Arena, a New Years’ Eve blockbuster between Adelaide Strikers and Sydney Sixers at Adelaide Oval, and the first Melbourne Derby on New Year’s Day at the MCG. The BBL season also features 14 double-headers with Rebel WBBL|02, giving fans a chance to see some of the best players from both competitions with the one ticket.

Network Ten and Nickelodeon will be bringing slime covered fun to the KFC BBL and Rebel WBBL this year with the launch of an Australian first, a BBL and WBBL children’s television show aptly named Crash The Bash. Produced collaboratively by Network Ten and Nickelodeon and hosted by Ollie McCormack ELEVEN’s Toasted TV and Nickelodeon’s Kristy Best, Crash The Bash will premiere on TEN on Saturday, 24 December at 9.00am.

Following its broadcast on TEN, content from Crash The Bash will be shown throughout the week on Nickelodeon, as well as across digital platforms.

Crash The Bash marks a first of its kind in content collaboration in Australia between a sporting body and a global children’s entertainment brand, providing young fans with more opportunities to interact with the KFC BBL and Rebel WBBL.

Network Ten Network Executive, BBL, David Barham said: “Network Ten is delighted to be partnering with Nickelodeon to produce Crash The Bash.

“As an Australian first, it is a real coup for the sport and children’s television and further cements Network Ten’s commitment to the KFC BBL and Rebel WBBL.”

Things are set to be more exciting on the field in BBL|06 as well, with cricketing stars including Mitchell Johnson (Perth Scorchers), Brendon McCullum (Brisbane Heat) and Stuart Broad (Hobart Hurricanes) set to take the field. These players will be joined by fan favourites Kevin Pietersen (Melbourne Stars), Brad Haddin (Sydney Sixers), Dwayne Bravo (Melbourne Renegades), Shane Watson (Sydney Thunder), Aaron Finch (Melbourne Renegades), George Bailey (Hobart Hurricanes) and Travis Head (Adelaide Strikers) to name just a few.

• For more information about ticket options in your state, see www.bigbash.com.au/upcoming-matches

I do like many aspects of Tens Big Bash coverage, but there is one aspect that I really detest and that would be the use of Andy Maher & Mark Howard as commentators or even worse - play by play commentators! I like Ponting, Waugh etc but the coverage & commentry is completely ruined with the use of Maher & Howard! They are not needed! Also, Freddy Flintoff can be a bit over the top sometimes but I guess that’s T20 cricket!
Ricky Ponting is a very insightful commentator easily one of the best, but, at least here in Australia - his talent is wasted commentating on T20 cricket, would love to hear him commentate Test matches as he did for Sky last Ashes series.

5 Likes