Tech Talk

A few more undersea cables are due to come online in the next few years, which should provide some level of redundancy to SEA-ME-WE3. It gets cut a few times a year at least.

2 Likes

Weeks to fix isn’t too bad, the months to fix Basslink between Tasmania and Victoria the other year was hell. Internet severely hamstrung, Telstra (allegedly) bumping up their fees to use the other cables and drought and low dams and no ability to import power made for tough times. It was going to be a flip of the coin as to who would run out of power first between Tassie and SA, Tassie were very close to it before the rains finally came.

guys I have just fired up ,y very old imac (one of those colorful ones). Works fine which is a surprise. I have alot of old news clips it’d be great to upload from the early 2000s, but I don’t know how to get stuff off it. It has USB ports but I plug a thumb drive in and nothing happens.

Anybody got any clue?

1 Like

What version of Mac OS is it running?

It may be old enough that it might not have inbuilt drivers for USB storage devices.

Things like keyboards and mice might be plug and play, but in 1999 a USB drive was a special bit of tech equipment that required its own drivers.

Also, you might need to consider the format of the drive. If you don’t have a newer Mac to transfer the files to, you’ll probably have trouble reading the flash drive on a Windows PC because it will be in the HFS+ file system rather than the Windows NTFS or FAT32 file system.

There are reports the nnew iPhone 8 (which is bring previewed by Apple on Wednesday AM our time) will cost close to $2,000 for the top of the range model :scream:

I know that won’t stop some people, but when it appears as though all it will have is a bigger screen and better camera, you have to wonder?

This will be interesting.

1 Like

I have Linage on Mums S5 and it works wonders, loving it.

And yet that insane price (for very little new features like previous models) won’t stop the Apple fanatics snapping one up (or even a few) for themselves on launch. You can guarantee like on almost every Apple product launch that there will be long queues and sleep outs at the stores.

I personally couldn’t be bothered and for the life of me I don’t know how anyone does it! :neutral_face:

2 Likes

What does everyone think of the new iPhone and Apple Watch models revealed overnight in the US. iPhone X will have facial recognition, bigger screen and brighter display but it is VERY expensive at $1579 (how much does a Vertu phone cost?). I think most people will buy iPhone 8 or 8 Plus instead. The third generation Apple Watch can now receive phone calls which will be welcomed by people on the go.

Doesn’t sound revolutionary enough to me.

I thought Apple would have launched something a bit more than just OLED screens, Face ID, wireless charging (Samsung already have these), glass back and a better camera and processor…

And no 512GB model.

At $1829 for the 256 GB X model, they just keep getting more and more expensive.

2 Likes

While I like the aesthetic of the X (hoping it sets a precedent for the death of thick screen bezels in high end android devices), some of the features seem very clunky (The limited Animojis are nothing more than embedded stickers, can’t see FaceID doing all that great - not to mention it has a very creepy, dystopian element to it) and tacked on.

Great that they’ve finally incorporated wireless charging across the board and are using Qi for it. Nonetheless, I’d never spend that much on a phone.

1 Like

Disappointed overall.

The iPhone 8 is basically a 7S.
The iPhone X has bezels :frowning: and the camera part at the top just doesn’t work. I remember seeing some mocks where the status bar remains black to hide that curve, and it looked damn nice, so I’m disappointed that Apple didn’t choose to go in this direction.
For the price of the X, you’re better off getting a Note 8 which has far more features for a similar price.

I got myself an S8+ a few weeks ago and I have to say that it is a fantastic device.

I have been seeing similar complaints on social media, especially about the price for the X.

2 Likes

The Samsung camera has been superior since the S6.

A company not many of you may know is Xiaomi, they aren’t directly available here, though I still have heaps of their products, phones, TV’s etc.
They’ve had beveless phones since November! The other day they released the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2, the successor to the one last November.

Article: https://www.cnet.com/au/products/xiaomi-mi-mix-2/preview/

the iPhone X is a fucking $1000 emoji machine (Emoji Movie comes out tomorrow btw get keen)

iPhone 8 is my preference just because of the bezel and the fingerprint scanner (I’m not gonna get though, waste of money).

5 Likes

iPhone?

1 Like

Well at least they don’t spontaneously explode

Neither does my Huawei.

1 Like

Oppo, looks like an iPhone but still leaves me with spending money!

7 Likes

lmao

(but seriously they both have iPhones but Jenny m8 doesn’t have iMessage turned on lol)

1 Like