Tech Talk

on a Friday afternoon as well. There goes their weekend!

1 Like

Yep, suddenly the power flickers from the weather and the stupid printer issues I was having didn’t seem so bad!

Saw a few posts on X/Twitter related to CrowdStrike.

3 Likes

https://x.com/10NewsFirst/status/1814180385213108564

Either Ten is affected or they have quite a sense of humour :stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes

Ummm question… But does this outage effect Fox sports Aus?

Discussion here: Major Microsoft outage (19 July 2024) - #11 by TV.Cynic

1 Like

My work computer does not have Crowdstrike antivirus so it is still working. Not sure about my laptop at home.

4 Likes

It’s affecting Banks, Supermarkets, Telecommunications and Airports worldwide.

1 Like

so you know how in Y2K we had backup systems for backup systems for backup systems? So, now we are a generation later, is that sort of thing not happening anymore?

I guess there will be a lot of nervous IT managers with some ‘please explains’ for Monday morning :wink:

3 Likes

I think this outage could extend into the weekend, thus more businesses will be affected.

My home laptop is working perfectly, thank goodness.

1 Like

I think a lot of things have changed over the last several years and they might all come under review again now including cloud backups and something that seems to be quite an issue for many with this one is Bitlocker and many not having easy access to their Bitlocker recovery keys.

Going to be interesting to see the fallout from this one which will go on for a while. Crowdstrike will have a PR disaster over this and it could cost them dearly and Microsoft will have to do some work too so that they can distance themselves from it and a lot of companies everywhere both big and small will have to reassess their DR recovery situations. So glad I moved out of MSP work a month ago!

1 Like

It really depends on what the service is. Emergency services do. And the major supermarkets can do work arounds but it really comes down to how the company is set up.

And hopefully all 3rd party providers like CrowdStrike will be doing a review of their systems and processes to ensure they don’t cause a similar outage in the future.

2 Likes

Yep, I’ve seen some doozies come through over the years but I don’t know how this one has managed to get through with what seems like a 100% take down rate.

2 Likes

The software automatically updates in its default configuration (and I believe Crowdstrike strongly advocate for that not to change) - its surprising that there hasnt been greater pushback on that from users

After literally years of back-and-forth, Google has announced that it will be keeping third-party cookies in the Chrome browser after all.

Instead, it is introducing a “new experience in Chrome” that will let users make more informed choices about their web browsing and ad targeting, which they can adjust as they go.

By leveraging a digital sign-up experience in My Optus app and eSIM functionality, customers can effortlessly enrol in the trial and switch between their current service and the Optus network, allowing a direct comparison without any disruption to their existing service.

Customers participating in the trial can easily check their connection with My Optus app where they can explore Optus Network Pulse.

Network Pulse is an interactive, visual way for customers to understand the strength of their connection on the Optus mobile network. Customers can check nearby towers and assess real-time connection status with a speed test and performance quality score.

1 Like
1 Like
3 Likes