Tech Talk

Scam alert

From ACMA:

OPTUS SCAM ALERT! Emails claiming to be from Optus are circulating. They want your credit card information for what is claimed to be an unpaid bill.

The ACMA has been receiving reports about emails with the subject line ‘We are unable to process your last payment’.

The fake emails are sophisticated and use a web address that looks like the real Optus website. The email contains a link to a fake ‘pay your bill’ page, which then asks for your credit card details.

The fake email and payment form are cunningly crafted to trick people. It’s important you check the legitimacy of email links to protect your personal information—use contact details you find through a legitimate source and not those contained in the suspicious message.

If you receive this scam email, delete it immediately.

2 Likes

Telstra 3G850 speed test

RSRP -95
Hurstvile NSW
LG G3 with Lineage OS 14.1 (Android 7.1.2) locked network to band 5 850MHz

1 Like

I’ve tried that a couple of times on Optus on my Moto G5 Plus, which is a VoLTE phone, but after the restart it reverts to VoLTE switched off again. I changed a couple of other settings as well, but they also reverted to the previous settings after a restart.

If that trick works then the only reason why its switching not permitting VoLTE after restart is because the firmware the handset has does not try to look for VoLTE data, instead if looks for 3G Voice (and if that is Optus then it prioritizes 3G900 before 3G2100), I don’t know if this handset has a “hidden menu” of not other tha the Google hidden menu, if it does then maybe you can force VoLTE full time by activating it from the hidden menu, I was able to do that with a ZTE handset to lock in VoLTE for a friend of mine, but I stress it has a MTK chipset and not a qualcom one so it could be a hardware needing software to drive it thing.

At least you can access VoLTE, I can’t do that even though the LG G3 is very well capable of providing VoLTE even with Lineage OS 14.1 as it has the IMS profile but Telstra won’t allow it to work no matter what I try which is annoying, so I just leave my G3 locked into WCDMA 3G850 full time, works fine, sure it can be slow due to slow ping times but you have to accept that its a 4 year old mobile well beyond its used by date.

1 Like

I once got a Nokia N8 smartphone from 3 Mobile inside 3 Mobile packing and the dam Nokia had no battery in it?

I took it to Nokia Care (remember them?) and they said yep no battery take it back to 3 Mobile shop, so i take it back to 3 Mobile shop and told them what happened and guess what they said? take it to Nokia Care for a replacement …

Needless to say after being given the run around I got the TIO involved and 3 Mobile were not only happy to take the phone back but release me from contract, but that was 2010.

2 Likes

Great story, but what’s a Nokia?

3 Likes

Something from the olden days.

Nokia N8 Smartphone (circa 2010)

Also 3 Mobile was a metro mobile 3G 2100MHz network that was also called 3GIS as it was 50% owned by Telstra, sadly 3 Mobile no longer exists, the parent company Hutchison Telecoms Australian and Vodafone Australia merged operations to form VHA which operates Vodafone Mobile Network.

Nokia are back granted its not the same Nokia where they actually do the manufacturing of the product but Nokia is back designing and using their technology patents for Nokia Smartphones that are made for them by Foxconn.

They are using the Android ONE platform (so that means its as vanilla as vanilla can be and approved by Google to get updates the same time that Pixel devices get updates).

I’m looking to get a Nokia 8 (2018), hopefully it has a battery in it this time :smile:

1 Like

Nokia was the inventor of the Sidetalking craze!

http://www.sidetalking.com/

Go on, check out the link, feel the 90’s web design! Check out the pics, early memes at their finest.

As for Nokia, I worked at one of the care centre’s for a while. Pulled apart many of the phones when they could still be serviced, then they changed to all glued down stuff and impossible to repair without replacing too many parts. N95 and 6085 were the two biggest ones and then everything completely stopped once the iPhone hit the market - even before released in Australia when the original one was being imported, things slowed down.

Nice one, but I was just joking. The first phone I ever had was a Nokia 3315 which I thought af the time was the best thing ever since it was a boost mobile special which came with a quicksilver branded case. It was probably the best phone I’ve ever had tbh since it went through the washing machine and dryer and still worked fine :joy:

thats what i did

all i was waiting on was a software hack to unlock it from AT&T. as soon as this was done i ordered online. Took me 3 days to get one from LA. I would pull it out and people would flip as most had never seen an iphone in real life

VHA and TPG could merge mobile operations, please if they do merge get rid of the Vodafone name.

what’s wrong with the vodafone name?

really?

Since 2011 Vodafone have not advanced anything on their end.

My first phone back in 2001, was a Nokia 3330, which was the same as the 3310 but had WAP.

WAP data was SOOO slow, it made dial up look fast. Now that’s saying something!

My first mobile was the Motorola bag which was also portable via the use of a second transmission pack, that was 1989.

I was also issued with a Uniden AMPS handheld which was a 5WATT brick that made anyone using it after 5 minutes of TX/RX use dizzy and red face.

1 Like

My first mobile was an LG flip phone which I got in 2005 when I was in Year 5 at school. The closest one I can find online is the LG U300 which matches what I remember when it’s in its closed, but the keypad looks slightly different to what I can remember and the release date is a bit later than what I remember.

It had two screens - one main colour screen that could be used when the phone was flipped open, and a black and white one which was on the back of the main screen which had the time on it and any notifications (missed calls or SMSes) which you could use with the phone closed. You could also make exorbitantly expensive, shit quality video calls and watch “mobile TV” in 176x144 pixel quality, which drained batteries like it was nobody’s business.

1 Like

This was my first phone - when Boost was still using Optus’ network. Back in Year 5 2010.

1 Like