Sydney vs Melbourne rivalry

Colour me shocked! People on low incomes are unhealthier than those with higher incomes. This means one solution: Exterminate all those who have lower incomes than the median.

Then the rest of us would die from a dirty telephone receiver! (I couldn’t resist the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy reference otherwise I’d modernise it!)

Melbourne and Sydney’s population is quite close now isnt it? I hear Melbourne will hit 5 million before Sydney

Last I read was Sydney 4.8 mil, Melb 4.4 mil.

I think Sydney will reach 5 mil first, but Melbourne will overtake Sydney by mid century.

2 Likes

The modelling I’ve seen suggests that the gap could be closed in as few as 20 years from around now

1 Like

Last year on radio, a member from the Victorian Government (I believe they were talking about town planning et. al.) said “there are over 4.5 million in Melbourne and over 6 million total in Victoria”.

Not sure if that’s exactly right though.

Whenever I hear about/read about populations, they always seem to be slightly different by around 100k.

Bureau of Statistics were saying Sydney would reach 5 million “early in 2016”, then it went to “late in 2016”, what is it now?

abs.gov.au

2 Likes

Sydney past the 5 million mark last year, and Melbourne has reached 4.7 million. (The gap is decreasing roughly by 10-30k every year). Resent forecasts have predicted Melbourne overtaking Sydney within 20 years, but both cities are expected to boom in population growth over the next decade or so. In 2000, I believe the gap between the two, was 600-700k and has now reduced by 300-350k.

2 Likes

I had no idea Sydney was this big. I was thinking maybe 4.6 million. In comparison, Greater London is 8 million, so it’s pretty crazy that Sydney is growing at a rate whereby it’ll eventually surpass the Empire’s capital.

I hear similar things about Perth surpassing Brisbane, but I have no idea if that’ll still happen with the mining downturn. An article from Perth Now in 2013:

Based on current trends, Perth’s population will grow the fastest of any Australian city and overtake Brisbane in about 15 years’ time when they both reach three million people.

1 Like

I personally thought the population of Sydney was approaching 5 million last year, but didn’t think it quite reached that point yet.

IIRC both the NSW & Victorian economies have been strong recently, so a population growth boom in both of Australia’s two biggest cities wouldn’t surprise me.

Yep, and Melbourne will reach that milestone in 2020-21… “Scary isn’t it”

I quite like the idea of big cities. So long as growth is sustainably invested into apartments and denser living and isn’t in damaging suburban developments, I’m all for Australia keeping pace with other countries.

I think that needs to be accompanied by more investment in mass transit networks though. Brisbane is so shitty in that regard :confused:

3 Likes

My guess is that our big 5 mainland cities are growing at a faster rate than our smaller regional centres. Which obviously is impacting on house prices.

What’s happening in Sydney, whereby the average house price is now more than $1.1 mil, is just absolutely absurd. The average family has no chance of buying a house within even 40km of the CBD. Sydney is also running out of space, given there is mountainous terrain on three sides, regardless of the house price situation.

Barnaby Joyce stoked the fire this week by suggesting people move to the country if they want to buy a house. Which is all well and good, except for one thing… JOBS

Our governments don’t appear to be doing enough to encourage more decentralisation.among our businesses. Perhaps there should be ongoing tax relief for businesses and those families to relocate, which would also take a bit of pressure off Sydney’s infrastructure.

2 Likes

They’re more interested in points scoring against the opposing party, otherwise the current federal government should’ve copied Labor’s negative gearing policy (they’ve both copied some of each other’s policies in the past). I don’t care who comes up with a good idea, if it’s good do it.
Same with the original National Broadband Network; it would’ve made it easier to work & have connected businesses in regional areas but because Labor were in when it was started the LNP had to rubbish & ruin it.
Damn politics.
I hope they at least invest in infrastructure (especially extending the heavy rail lines) into the outer suburbs; the commutes don’t need to be as awful as they already are.

2 Likes

Thanks to Sydney’s high property prices, where its median house price is $1.1 million, more people from Sydney are moving across the Murray to a relatively cheaper city of Melbourne, where its median house price is just under $800,000, which is a difference of about $300,000.

It’s because everyone wants to live in Sydney which increases prices due to high demand :laughing:

1 Like

:thinking:

and comparatively low supply (due to land supply constraints).

I think I’d move north to the Lake Macquarie/Newcastle area first.

I’ve worked out that if you’re a relatively high income earner, you could live north of Newcastle near Williamtown Airport, and fly into Sydney every day for $100 each way.

Saves big on property (4 bedrooms are only $350,000 - $500,000), and is a more relaxed lifestyle…

If they built a proper high speed railway line between Sydney and Newcastle, you’d see a lot of people moving north.