Supermarkets and Retail

No, it did not. Stupid machine.

4 Likes

There’s a volume control on there somewhere

What about a Mute button?

The woman’s voice on the Woolies automated checkouts is quite sexual. I bought a few groceries yesterday. I did not really need them. It was Valentines Day and I was lonely. Her voice make me feel wanted and loved.

Much better than the voice on the Coles ads that says “At Coles!”

Does does Woolworths lady have a name? I think of her as a Fae Fresh.

You need to get out more often but stay away from supermarkets. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can tell you that the voice at the Coles checkouts is actress and voice artist Anna Hruby.

She was also the voice at the Woolworths checkouts but used a slightly different intonation there for a point of difference. However, I think Woolies might have recently changed the voice on their new machines.

2 Likes

The gays be like “Nice try sweetie”

4 Likes

:neutral_face::neutral_face:

I haven’t noticed anything about the new voice on the woolies checkouts with new firmware but the UI is a bit sloppy and plain.

I’m a gay, I would know

Because you’re sassy?

Direct sale cosmetics company Avon is to close its operations across Australia and New Zealand by the end of this year. Avon began operating in Australia in 1963 and NZ in 1978.

I’m surprised it’s still going.

3 Likes

The only place I had ever actually seen Avon were the retail shops they had. Never had an Avon lady calling at the door or whatever.

There was an Avon store in Westfield Eastgardens when I was a kid (mum used to go in all the damn time), but I believe they pulled out of the retail business because the Avon ladies were getting mad that they were intruding on their territory.

2 Likes

Good riddance. The less MLM garbage around the better.

Reminds me of ‘Vault Tech’ from Fallout 4.

“Vault Tech calling” :stuck_out_tongue:

The cause of the recent fruit fly introduction in Tasmania looks to have been found thankfully. Now Coles and IGA have pulled a lot of their fruit and veg from the stores and Woolies looks to only lose their capsicum with the latest development. People have been told that even though there’s a recall we can consume anything we have already purchased but to double bag and throw out any waste, don’t send it to compost etc… We had the Biosecurity Tas officer come to our house on Monday as we had a weird looking fly which had died in our care. They took it away for investigation as a possible one, no idea if it was or not but the exclusion zone around Devonport was enlarged to include east of Launceston on Tuesday covering much of the northern coast of the state now.

2 Likes

I think some of the big changes they made to their rewards scheme has paid off for them. I know I’ve spent more money there when Woolies do bonus points week.

Also, they do well with accumulated points for bonuses. For example spend $150 over the next week in as many shops at Woolies and get a bonus 1000 points. I’ve fallen for that too so will go back a couple more times to reach the amount. Coles forces you to spend $150 dollars in one shop to qualify.

2 Likes

Costco will open a new store at the Perth Airport precinct in 2020. It will be located at Airport West Retail Park, next to the new DFO development.

1 Like

Haven’t seen one of these in a looooooong time.

This one is in Goulburn - I guess 7-Eleven didn’t want to move in!

The awning looked to be newly installed, and looks basically identical to American Mobil stations.

4 Likes

Awning and pumps look new, I assume they’re about to change those old school 90s era signs.
In WA we have a relatively small/new fuel distributor that uses Mobil branding on any of the stations they supply, they’ve got a handful of them operating at the moment (the below example is from Muchea on the very fringe of the Perth metro area)

Speaking of servo branding, In Perth we’ve recently had a number of Shell stations pop up that are unaffiliated with Coles. Looks like Viva Energy are now happy to start opening stations with Shell branding that aren’t co-branded with Coles. This example is another one on the fringe of the Perth metro (Gidgegannup), but they recently opened one in the suburbs here that has a NightOwl branded convenience store attached.

5 Likes

this is a caltex not too far from my house. i don’t see too many outlets that are just caltex ones around here. they are either star mart or woolies