Supermarkets and Retail

Whilst not exactly the same scenario as Bathurst, Campbelltown has 3 Woolworths supermarkets within a 1km radius. They also have 4 Aldi’s within a 2km radius.

2 Likes

Ingle Farm Shopping Centre in Adelaide has two Coles supermarkets. One used to be a Bi-Lo but got rebranded.

You guys are exactly right, Woolworths’ 2nd Bathurst store after a few years became barely profitable, but refused to close because Coles would snatch the spot right up!

1 Like

Am I wrong in thinking there used to be a small shopping centre where the newer Woolworths is with a Franklins inside it? I have a memory of getting food poisoning from a dodgy chicken cordon bleu from that Franklins when I first moved to Sydney in the early '90s. Never went there again.

Capalaba in Brisbane has Coles and Woolworths on one side of Redland Bay Rd in Capalaba Park and another pair across the road in Capalaba Central. Capalaba Central was built with a Coles and Woolworths, while the Woolworths in Capalaba Park replaced Frankins.

2 Likes

I used to love going past the old Safeway in Newcomb and seeing the old signage :blush::blush::blush:

If I recall correctly, that was changed to Woolworths early this year or in 2016.

I also think the one in Ashley Street in Braybrook is now a Woolworths.

Newcomb in Geelong had the old Safeway which is now a Woolies.

Coles in Northcote Plaza has two in the space of about 60 meters.

Woolies will have 2 in the space of around 1.5km when the new Woolies at Arden Gardens in North Melbourne will open in mid 2018.

Hurstville has two Coles. One in Westfield and one replaced a Franklins in the Super Centre over the railway station, which is now called Hurstville Central.

Back then there were two Franklins with the one in Westfield becoming a Food for Less and now an Asian Tong Li supermarket. There is a second Tong Li in Hurstville Central.

1 Like

I don’t remember ever going inside (we only moved to the area in late-2005 and the redevelopment started pretty soon after that) but yes, I do remember it being a tatty little shopping centre before becoming the single supermarket that is there today (which is still pretty tatty outside).

I guess you could say it was a cordon bleurgh

I’ll get my coat…

6 Likes

South Morang in Victoria have three Woolworths in the general vicinity: one inside the Westfield shopping centre, another across the road from it and another 1.5kms down the road from the Westfield.

1 Like

Not right next to each other, but Perth CBD has two separated by one block - the only difference is the older Murray Street store has Liqour and the newer St. Georges Tce store has eBay collection (I haven’t dared to touch that). The store layout is nearly identical that, 90% of the time I’m in one of the stores, I forget where I am.

2 Likes

Since earlier this year Westfield Parramatta has had two Woolworths, with a small Metro store opening near the entrance to the railway station. A similar size IGA Express is across the aisle.

Taking inflation into account, the Boxing Day sales were less than last year.

1 Like

IM pretty sure Robina Town Centre has two Woolworths in the same shopping centre

1 Like

Just gonna say this - The Woolies chicken shapes ripoff taste so much better than the actual shapes!

Yeah but what about their pizza shapes?

I am currently in London and staying at a hotel at the Westfield Stratford City. On the ground floor of the hotel building is TK Maxx. It is not as big as the stores in Melbourne.

5 Likes

I live within walking distance of Woolworths Eastgardens (opened 2003), Woolworths Hillsdale (opened in the 1960s) and Woolworths Matraville (opened 2015). Woolworths South Maroubra (former Food For Less) is a 5 minute drive away by car, too. For an area with such low population density, there is an astounding number of Woolies in my area.

3 Likes

There’s a lot of apartments in that area, as there are in many other parts of Sydney, I wouldn’t have considered it “low density”’ in that respect.

13 posts were merged into an existing topic: Brands, Products and Promotions