Supermarkets and Retail

Christmas Eve after about 3pm is as quiet as any old day.
Even earlier in the day it’s pretty relaxed… I’ve done my grocery shopping on Christmas Eve for the last few years and it’s the one day where all the checkouts are open AND there isn’t any lines (unlike the 21st/22nd/23rd).

Also depends on whether Christmas Day falls on a Monday (so people have the whole weekend to shop, like they did this year).

1 Like

Easter Saturday is just as bad really… since shops are closed the day before AND the day after.

The old ‘how soon is too soon for Hot Cross Buns’ has started up again with both Coles & Woolies stocking them as of Boxing day in select stores. Full roll out as of 2nd Jan.

Personally, I loooove them so see no issues. Asides from eating too much!

3 Likes

It’s just a money grab. I personally think that it’s way too soon. Every year they seem to put out earlier and earlier. Not even a day after Christmas. C’mon now!

I think they should start from a month out from Easter. That still gives plenty of time to buy them. Even just over a month I’m happy with.

How long have the supermarkets started selling Hot Cross Buns on Boxing Day for now? Probably more than 10 years? Maybe even closer to 20?

Obviously people are buying them that early, otherwise Coles & Woolworths wouldn’t stock them on the shelves until mid-February or whatever.

1 Like

who cares? they could sell them all year round, it’s just a bun.

5 Likes

not true, same day as it’s been for years and years.

also Christmas decs are also being sold at the back of stores every September.

1 Like

They should also sell chocolate eggs all year round. They’re just eggs.

2 Likes

I know the ones you get at Easter don’t have a plastic container with a toy in them, but chocolate eggs are already sold all year round…

AFAIK Hot Cross Buns are available year round in a few varieties.

2 Likes

Still hanging in there…

10 Likes

What?

Food For Less used to be Woolworths’ “budget” supermarket chain.

A relatively prolific name in the 1990s and Early 2000s, but only two stores are still operating under that name - Roselands (which TBH, I’m surprised wasn’t rebranded as Woolworths many years ago) and Beresfield.

5 Likes

I’'m guessing this wasn’t ever a thing here in Victoria. We only had Bi-Lo from Coles.

2 Likes

sure, why not?

We used to have Bi-Lo here in Newcastle too.
Before that, it was Shoey’s … Not sure if that was just a Newcastle brand or not.
This was back in the 1980s.

We also used to have a couple of stores of Woolworth’s other supermarket brand in Franklin’s.

Is their any other Woolworths’ that are right next to each other? Here in Bathurst, NSW, we have 2 that are right across the road from each other. In the early 2000’s (I use to know a produce manager there), Woolworths had a plan called ‘2020 stores’. This plan would see multiple Woolworths stores built right next to each other ready for the demand expected by 2020.
Bathurst was a test town, in 2008, Woolworths built it’s second store in town, right next to the old one (look on Google maps). Considering at the time we had a population of only 35,000, this was a bizzare move and stunned many locals. But the concept was scrapped, leaving 2 huge Woolworths stores right next to each other, I was just wondering if this happened in any other towns?

Neutral Bay in Sydney, though they don’t quite face each other because they are both behind a row of smaller shops directly on Military Rd.

Woolies has operated the main standalone Neutral Bay store for decades and then opened in Neutral Bay Village later on to prevent Coles from getting a foothold in one of their most profitable markets. Coles is actually their landlord at one of the stores (I forget which) after very sneakily purchasing it through a complicated series of holding companies. They will probably evict Woolies when the lease expires next decade and move themselves in.

3 Likes

Countless examples around the place, despite their alleged “2020 planning” it was generally a move to ensure that Coles and Aldi couldn’t take good store locations. The round of closures in the last 12-18 months got rid of a lot of these duplicate stores, but plenty have hung around nonetheless (I can think of at least 4 or 5 areas in Victoria that have 2 stores within about 500 metres of one other or closer, and a few shopping centres with 2 Woolworths supermarkets e.g. Watergardens).

Considering all the Safeway signage in Victoria is gone and almost all other remnants of the old Woolworths logo, surely this can’t stick around for much longer (unless they plan on not renewing the lease).

2 Likes