Supermarkets and Retail

http://www.news.com.au/finance/business/retail/home-consortium-resurrects-abandoned-masters-sites-in-1-billion-retail-rollout-just-in-time-for-christmas/news-story/0203499ab7b4946efc2eba80045c400e

Eight of the former sites have already opened at Marsden Park, Penrith and Rutherford in NSW, Pakenham and South Morang in Victoria, and Toowomba, North Lakes and Tingalpa in Queensland. A further two will open before Christmas, one in Joondalup, WA, and one in Ballarat, Victoria.

Web site http://www.home-co.com.au/

2 Likes

From nothing, that Marsden Park retail area has performed brilliantly over the past 2-4 years. It’s only Masters that failed. Bunnings, Ikea, Aldi, Lindt and the other outlets have an increasing population in the area and will continue to perform well.

2 Likes

OrotonGroup has gone into administration but 59 Oroton stores will continue to trade as usual while administrators Deloitte Restructuring Services pursue a sale or a recapitalisation.

I was at a Woolworths in SA earlier, I haven’t seen these checkouts for ages…

Signage looks pretty old as well:

7 Likes

Which Woolworths is that?

1 Like

That “chilled” sign on the wall is in the latest style though, which is odd, given the rest of the place looks about five refurbs old…

2 Likes

Murray Bridge

Germany’s Schwartz Group, which owns Kaufland, has bought a former Bunnings site in Dandenong in south east Melbourne for $16.4 million. It will be Kaufland’s second Australian site after Adelaide.

Similar to the ultimate owner company of Ikea, Schwartz Group is ultimately owned by a non-profit charity, but it’s run like that as a tax dodge.

Does it have self serve checkouts?

Pretty sure it was just the old style conveyor check outs, and the ‘15 items or less’ without self serve.

2 Likes

Checked out the re-purposed Masters store at Tingalpa today. Lots of radio advertising and live crosses on Saturday for the opening of the Anaconda store. Only three stores open so far - Anaconda, BCF and The Good Guys. Massive turnout though, with the car park completely full and line-ups at the pay stations in stores. BCF and Anaconda good choices for the Bayside area - both were packed!

5 Likes

Also, was the old outdoor garden section incorporated into the centre?

I drove past the old Masters now new mall at Marsden Park during the week, the car park was as busy as all the surrounding centres. The revamp has worked there too.

The outdoor centre was being outfitted it is the section to the left:

2 Likes

Drove past the old Masters in Mandurah WA, it’s half painted in Bunning’s green. There is another Bunnings near by but I guess that one will be shutting down? far too close for two stores

1 Like

The former Masters in Landsdale WA has also began being painted Bunnings green, each side being painted everytime I go past it, they have also started putting up the cream coloured fixtures on the walls.

Same deal at Albion Park Rail, NSW, I noticed the walls started to be painted a few weeks ago. The Shellharbour City Centre Bunnings will close once it is open (3mins down the road).

1 Like

the existing Bunnings in Mandurah will close, it’s a lot smaller and in a much less accessible spot than the ex-Masters site.

Same thing is happening with Bunnings Morley, they’re taking on Master’s Bayswater site and closing the Morley location.

1 Like

The former Masters at Majura Park will become a Bunnings too, with the nearby Fyshwick Bunnings to close.

As of last week, all Masters signage was still up on the building and in the carpark at Majura too.