Supermarkets and Retail

It’s still very predominant in WA, but maybe not as much as it was in the 2000s. I saw the new logo a few months ago including some new signage, it’s quite difference to what was used in the past.

1 Like

Coles is introducing “quiet hour” at 68 supermarkets around Australia for people who live with autism or who have family members on the spectrum. From 10.30am to 11.30am on Tuesdays, store lights will be dimmed 50 per cent, the radio will be switched off and the volumes of registers and scanners will be reduced to a minimum.

2 Likes
1 Like

Couldn’t they make that permanent?

1 Like

Retravision! We’ve got it!

8 Likes

Wednesday’s Seven News Melbourne will have a special report on the first Amazon warehouse in Australia, located in Dandenong in the city’s south east.

I C O N I C

2 Likes

Speaking of iconic electrical chain retailers, Chandlers was one was that quite prominent in the late 80s to early 90s here in NSW.

Here’s one of their ads

Though it’s not totally clear as to exactly what happened to them… some appear to have become Betta Electrical stores or Harvey Norman, looks like this happened in the early 90s.

In more recent times, I used to like visiting the WOW Sight and Sound superstores, they were common in SE QLD, but I did get to see their stores in Coffs Harbour and Canberra. They looked very similar to JB HiFi. They went out of business about 5 years ago.

1 Like

My brain hurts…

Wicked! I remember their store in Townsville which came long before JB Hi-fi had a store there. Very true that they were the poor man’s JB Hi-fi. Had a lot of their in-house branded product from memory.

1 Like

I remember their earlier ads that had something like “we’re the biggest retailer of electrical appliances, not the retailer of the biggest electrical appliances”, with a visual of an oversized appliance causing some sort of issue.

2 Likes

For some reason, thinking back to Retravision made me think of NORQEB which was the electricity supplier for North Queensland back in the day which also traded as Retravision in the North Queensland region.

Seems like a lot of those larger chain stores went by the wayside over the years such as Errol Stewarts, and MSAA

Speciality Fashion Group that owns Katies, Millers, City Chic, Crossroads, Autograph and Rivers has announced that they’ll be closing down more than 300 under preforming stores.

My first flatscreen TV (68cm) and DVD player was from Retravision in 2002. Back in those days, there was really only Harvey Norman, Retravision and Rick Harts in WA.

3 Likes

My parents bought a massive 80cm Palsonic CRT TV for $800 at Retravision in 2002.

It blew up with smoke sparks and flames about 4 years later so we had to resort to using a 51cm TV we had laying around for about a year until we got our first plasma TV.

They really should have just kept that old logo. I believe it dates back to probably the 1960s?

I remember there was a Chandlers at Maroubra Junction, which is probably from one of my earliest childhood memories of the place. It closed down some time around 2000 and became a Supre.

1 Like

Chandlers as a brand somehow stuck around 2013 - Looks like Yeppoon was the last location.

I don’t remember it lasting past around 1998, same with Billy Guyatts.

1 Like

This is still inside a lift from the Prince of Wales Hospital car park to the emergency department in Sydney.

3 Likes

That ad is from… 1999? I remember the Archie Martin Vox TVC version of it playing in WA immediately prior to Harvey Norman buying out that brand. Looks like someone has tried, but failed to remove the sticker in the past.

Billy Gutatts came back as an online retailer - something I’m surprised you don’t see even more of, similar to what Kogan do with Dick Smith, you could probably make sales from minimal investment in just taking on an old ‘trusted’ brand.

That reminds me, I need to buy some capacitors from http://tandy.com.au/

1 Like