Supermarkets and Retail

Bunnings officially is not saying that Fyshwick will close. Last month after the Canberra Times reported that the store would close, Robyn Hudson of Bunnings said:

I guess we will see what happens. There has been wild speculation on riot-act that the existing Bunnings Fyshwick site will be transformed into a new railway station and transport hub, which seems a daft idea.

Surprise launch this morning of Bunnings in Devonport after taking over the old K&D Hardware site in March at the Homemaker Centre which is only a few years old. They extended the building quite a bit over the last few months and will certainly be busy this week before the official launch on Friday night.

Went and checked it out on my lunch break… no snags.

Given its proximity to the Foreshore development, I’d say the current Railway Station site would be worth a mint to developers. It would make sense to cut the line off at Fyshwick and relocate the station.

I’d say we’ll see the end of the Causeway before anything happens to the Railway Starion though.

1 Like

Herald Sun reports Amazon’s Australian site will be launched tomorrow (December 5).

In tribute to the days when certain MS members went into meltdown when there was a relaunch of any sort or if the site went down…ZOMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG :joy::joy::joy:

That is, if you can believe it.

I’m wondering if it has just launched, I have had nothing to do with Amazon so I don’t know but when I first started browsing amazon.com.au it had just the books and stuff but then after a few minutes there were a lot more categories and a lot more other items. That was about 11:40pm AEDT.

I’m still just getting books.

i still have e-books but it will launch soon. theres a ton of help docs up on things like delivery partners, how to get free delivery, gift cards, and delivery fees and timeframes

If you go into “Shop by Department” are they populated?

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/site-directory/ref=nav_shopall_btn

This is what I have.

Just tried from my phone and it’s not all there.

Amazon works for me.

Just checked and it’s all up for me now as well!

Pricing looks to be basically RRP for most items so far, and all from existing bricks and mortar retailers.
Hopefully the full launch delivers something a little better than this.

What an absolute fuck up of mammoth proportions. And if they block Amazon US, there will be riots. lol

2 Likes

Oh God the next Al Qaeda-style video from Gerry Harvey will be insufferable.

4 Likes

Even the Amazon Basics cables are rip offs. I can get cheaper cables at Target!

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Brands, Products and Promotions

Why Amazon Australia is a dud

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/companies/why-amazon-australia-fails-to-live-up-to-expectations-from-high-prices-to-low-availability/news-story/06e5655b9222301a0d3aecac8e343a7b

Amazon in the US competed directly against Walmart. Walmart’s sales have stalled since 2011. The retail market in Australia is much more diverse than the Walmart “monopoly” that existed in many American towns.

I had a long look at the Amazon’s Australian website today. It’s got the appeal of an East German department store with prices that are simply not competitive.

Existing Australian retailers must be thinking how the hell did this warehouse with a third rate website get so much publicity?

The simple fact is that Amazon cannot service enormous demand from day one. It will take time for them to build capacity in their warehouses and distribution channels. As capacity increases they will drop prices to gradually build demand and market share.

The media has set some very unrealistic expectations among buyers. Amazon has kept their launch as low-key as possible to avoid exactly the response we are seeing now, they have a better idea of how their business operates and grows than local media who just enjoy whipping up a frenzy.

5 Likes