Supermarkets and Retail

I can confirm that you have to remember this.

5 Likes

Not if you send panicked online gift cards at the last minute like we do in my family.

and Australia Post will be extra busy with the plebiscite envelopes and the glitter and talcum powder filled envelopes and they’ll be working slower than ever because of the new CEO who is being paid less so they’ll work slower.

2 Likes

Harvey Norman’s profits have soared 29% higher to a new record

The company-operated retail profit before tax profit increased 24.3% to $90.85 million, compared to $73.11 million in the previous financial year.

Harvey says this record result is built on strong performances in offshore operations. The company operates in New Zealand, Slovenia & Croatia, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Singapore and Malaysia.

In Singapore and Malaysia, retail segment profit was up 69.9% to $19.30 million.

In Australia, franchisee headline aggregated sales revenue has increased by 5.4% to $5.62 billion.

Those offshore divisions have taken a very long time to pay off for HN - they’ve been loss making for often than not.

Is that called Harvey Norman too?

Sure is. Google it and you’ll see.

1 Like

Just visited Croatia and saw the Harvey Norman signs outside a couple of big shopping centres, so they are called that there.

They have the same bloke doing all the ads in the English speaking countries (other than Singapore).

These offshore divisions are located in very suspicious locations. I wouldn’t be surprised if Gerry Harvey was using them as part of a complex tax avoidance scheme.

2 Likes

All English speaking advertising in SG seems to get voiced with obviously fake american accents. It’s very jarring.

5 Likes

Do you think it’s the same fake American accents that are used on the station IDs for 2DayFM and KIIS?

Extends right through to promos for TV channels themselves. As a kid I always thought the voiceover for Cartoon Network Asia was so fake.

While we’re on the topic of Australian chains which have international locations…

1 Like

Never heard of them. Where are they located?

Canada

What’s the reason for Harvey locating in Croatia and Slovenia?

1 Like

To sell furniture and electrical goods, obviously. They always look for new and developing markets.

1 Like

Yes…why the obscure choice to sell furniture and electrical goods in…

1 Like

It’s not obscure. They obviously saw a gap in the market because there weren’t any big retailers like it, in those countries. They’ve also grown about as much as they can in Australia, so overseas is their way to expand the business.

Any info on the Amazon warehouse in Dandenong?
Location, interview process start dates etc?