Supermarkets and Retail

I only buy stuff at Harvey Norman is when it is on special, because sometimes the specials are genuine and below competitors prices. But mostly Harveys is more expensive than anywhere else. I looked at their laptops earlier in the year but got a better deal at JB Hi-Fi. Their mattresses last year were horrendously expensive, and I got a better deal on a very good mattress at OMF.

1 Like

At least in Australia, HN is as much a property business as it is retail - itā€™s one of the reasons why it has continued to thrive regardless of haphazard sales performance.

Not to mention itā€™s a store that still often relies (at least moreso than its competitors) on old school retail haggling - several departments price stock above RRP and will happily knock hundreds of dollars off if a customer haggles with them.

2 Likes

Not sure why this is being reported as a new change, but, nevertheless, I agree with the opinions expressed that the relocation of the checkouts to the centre of the store is a huge negative. KMart now require a security person to check through bags that you just purchased.

1 Like

Because theyā€™re so obsessed with machine sorting that it will end up somewhere where it shouldnā€™t.

Saw this in action a month or so ago when I went to K-Mart in Morley (Perth, WA). I donā€™t like this new set up. The checkouts at the exit made so much easier. A few other people complained to the store manager,stuck_out_tongue: but hey vote with your feet, I reckon. Donā€™t shop there, as I wonā€™t be. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I just visited a Kmart that has this set-up now, for the first time this week and it just looked weird. I had to go backwards into the store to find the cashiers.

1 Like

The three stores in Canberra all have a different setup.

Of the two recently refurbed stores, one has self serve and staffed checkouts at the entrance, while the other has self serve at the entrance and staffed checkouts in the middle of the store.

The third store opened in the last year or so, and has self serve and staffed checkouts in the middle of the store.

1 Like

This ā€œnew changeā€ is now at least 3 years old.

No big deal considering theyā€™ve always had a greeter / bag checker at the door prior to the setup. The only problem is if you select no to a receipt on the self serveā€¦

3 Likes

I thought it was much older than what they said. So far Iā€™ve only been to the one store in Hobart with the change and Iā€™m not a fan. Ours hasnā€™t changed at all which is good but there is certainly less range than what there used to be. Nightlife where I am used to consist of Maccas and Kmart as they were both open until midnight but now Kmart just isnā€™t like it used to be.

Was going to say this format has been around for ages and isnt new. This issue does pop its head up everytime a new store is refurbed [I saw the Morley complaints too] but surrounding stores like Mirrabooka, Warwick and Innaloo have been this way for a long time now. [Although Innaloo does have checkouts at the front as well as the middle but I believe they were one of the first stores in Perth to change.

1 Like

I donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever been asked if I wanted a receipt at Kmartā€™s self checkouts - it always prints one.

If KMart is anything like Coles or Woolies, I would keep those receipts anyways. Thereā€™s always a good coupon. Itā€™s how I fund my alcoholism.

4 Likes

meh i just walk out. iā€™ve paid and done nothing wrong. i have no legal obligaton to show them anything so i donā€™t. it started when i was at kmart with my (than) 2 year old who was tantruming and the door chick wanted to check my bags on the way out. i told her to rack off

1 Like

Anarchist. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The ā€œdoor chickā€ will undoubtedly instigate an immediate company wide review of that policy based on such feedback.

4 Likes

Queensland has moved to ban plastic bags and will also set up a cash-for-cans system, akin to those already in place in South Australia and the Northern Territory. The move passed with bipartisan support.

There will still be thin plastic bags for the fruit and vegetable, so customers can just tear off an extra couple and put them in their pocket. It happens in the ACT now.

ā€¦or pay 15c for the reusable ones that your groceries wonā€™t fall straight through.

That soundsā€¦ dumb.

Another tactic which I learnt in Europe is to only have one or two big bins around the house rather than a whole bunch of small ones. End up using far less plastic bags. Taking an extra 5 seconds to check whether packaging is recyclable also lessens the need for bin liners, as you can simply buy a crate for beer and wine bottles and designate a large box to place other pieces of odd packaging in. On bin day, just chuck the contents of the box in recycling and save the box for the next week.

1 Like

No it doesnā€™t. The kitchen bin needs the same bin bag with daily replacement for foodscraps.

As for using boxes to put bottles inā€¦thereā€™s no need for the box even. Thatā€™s not a solution. A box can only hygenically store dry bottles; those bottles can be placed near the bin and taken out each night in any case.

I hate how 2 second solutions are presented as an easy fix to this massive inconvenienceā€¦fact is weā€™ll all be forced to stuff the pockets of Gladā€¦how ridiculous.