Supermarkets and Retail

There are retail spaces that are just unlucky…

Not really unlucky; it’s probably just a bad location for retail.
If you look at such locations in detail there’s usually actual practical reasons: Lack of foot traffic there, poor/expensive parking, out of the way location, the wrong demographic, etc.

Surprised the Highpoint store closed. Wonder if H&M or Uniqlo will open up a store in the space

Agree and disagree. It’s nowhere in the territory of shopping strips like Bridge road that are completely dead. There is still some life there. During the week Chapel street can get pretty quiet but on the weekends it’s always buzzing. It’s moreso the bars/restaurants/clubs that get the crowds and people into the area now though. The big downfall of Chapel Street is the lack of parking. They really need to install multilevel car parks especially where the Woolworths is and make it free for the first couple of hours. Also public transport isn’t the best to get there. You can get off trains at Prahran but its still a bit of a walk and Windosr station hits Chapel street but not down the retail end. The number of homeless in the area really run it down too. They are meant to be putting a bit of money to inject some life back into the street again so hopefully it works. It’s only a 5 min drive from me so I’m down the quite a bit.

1 Like

Geelong had a Borders that was then a Cheap Book Clearance then a Dick Smith and now a Cotton On Body.

I think Aldi may have a big problem with this kitchen tap it was selling that puts lead into the water. Customers cannot simply return the tap once it has been installed. Some of them may need a plumber to remove the tap. Does Aldi need to pay for the plumber? With 12 000 taps sold this is a big issue.

Smarter Shopping? More like Dangerous Shopping.

Special Buys? More like Killer buys.

“Good Different” is Aldi’s new slogan. It is certainly “different” to poison your family for only $79.99

1 Like

Wonder how Nine News covered that story? :wink:

Depending on how handy you are around the house, I find mixer taps easier to change over than a regular tap.

It could have happened to any big chain, especially if they had tested the taps as Aldi they say they did prior to selling them.

Haven’t been able to find out where this tap was manufactured, but nevertheless this is the result of sacrificing quality for price. Aldi is great for cheap food (although even then…) but I’d pretty much expect a lot of their fittings and home appliances to be mass produced in factories where consumer safety runs a distant third behind lowest price and fastest turnaround.

3 Likes

Think this may have come up before, but when did Liquourland use this logo? I don’t think I’ve seen it before, but I think the arrows were used on Coles Liquor signage when they had their liquor in one aisle within the supermarket.

3 Likes

I saw that when I was on holiday in Melbourne around this time in 2015. I thought it was an early rebranding or something at the time.

Apparently it was a concept store in 2012. Must’ve been an abandoned rebranding prototype.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2040259

2 Likes

nice to see I wasn’t the only one to see this and think it!

Considering it’s the same colours as the Pre-2004 logo

I would expect to date it around there (maybe they tested different logos on a bunch of stores at the time?). The logo colours were tweaked in 2005 away from maroon and buff before changing to the current logo in 2008.

4 Likes

Interesting, thanks. From what I can see of the logo, I think I prefer it to their current one. The liquorland branding does seem unusually inconsistent for Coles. The sign in the background looks more red and yellow than maroon and buff so perhaps it’s a little more recent.

That doggo tho :dog:

3 Likes

Interesting timing if the logo was used that late considering it’s colours.
Then again, Coles used green logos on all it’s concept stores some years ago (I remember Claremont Quarter in Perth had this logo for about 12 months).

The duopoly seems to have very varied budgets for store branding. Woolies rebranding of Woolworths / Safeway Liquor to BWS was amazingly quick (3 months, if that), yet 10 years from the launch of the new Big W logo a significant number of Big W stores are still sporting the old logo and the old slogan.

For Coles, the removal of the “orb” from its logo some years ago was also very fast.

4 Likes

Maybe a bean counter wanted to spend it all in whatever was left of the then current financial year (upping the marketing budget in that period for some tax benefit).

We’d be coming up on ten years of the new Woolies logo too. That said, the old logo was better so I wouldn’t mind too much if they took their time updating their store fronts…

4 Likes

I believe they stopped using the design in 2013, leaving just the text…

On the signage out on the west side it uses the current logo.

1 Like

Streetview has it on the building going back to 2007 -

As I’m sure I’ve said before - Coles need to bring back the orb. Or at least make it so it’s not so obviously missing on so many stores.

4 Likes

That doesn’t look better than the old one.

1 Like

Agreed, they should have just left it, it wasn’t really ageing.