Supermarkets and Retail

Looks like the ASDA or Waitrose logo over in the UK.

The orb as most people put it is actually to represent a planet or “New World” if you so wish to call it. As the shop had not been called Coles New World for some number of years, I believe a business decision was made to remove it in favour of a logo that could represent the Coles part better. This involved a number of different tick type logos over time. Eventually the tick was dropped also.

I will agree they need something though
 Probably not the New World orb (look forwards not backward). I thought their concept logo they were going to run with prior to Coles group being taken over by Wesfarmers would be something to consider.

An example of this can be found at Trade Mark 1180065 | IP Australia | Trade Mark Search which Coles Group had planned a number of rebrands to bring a lot of their brands under the Coles umbrella. This included former Super Kmart sites which would have come under this Coles SuperCentre brand.

2 Likes

Looks similar to the current Liquorland logo in NZ.

3 Likes

Good thing wine came before beer

7 Likes

I like the Coles Fresh logo as an evolution of the current one

7 Likes

When I first saw this, I thought this was a rebranding exercise for Coles, and I liked the addition of the Sun Logo Device. I was kinda hoping this was a rebranding for Coles, it certainly felt like that at the time, for me at least. Coles Fresh is still seen occasionally, but it would be nice if Coles utilised the Sun Logo more in the main logo.

3 Likes

Definitely time for coles to make some change. Their current branding scheme is aging with some elements dating almost 10 years back. So much potential yet such little action. I also thought the sun included in the logo may have been a potential rebrand and although it’s seen from time to time still it seems to be being used less and less.

2 Likes

26 years back if you count the current Coles Wordmark, still pretty modern to this day. I think time should come for Coles to change eventually, especially in the transforming world of Retail in Australia.

2 Likes

They have shortened the L on store signage but yeah, would be nice to see a larger refresh.

2 Likes

Is that what that is? I thought they were rebranding as coıes

4 Likes

The 17 Topshop concessions at Myer have also closed.

Funny, on Monday it was still at Myer Melbourne.

A lot can happen in 4 days

2 Likes
6 Likes

ABC reports the phasing out of plastic bags will affect Woolworths supermarkets, Metro stores, Big W, BWS and Woolworths Online. There should be an advertising campaign educating the public on the change.

OK - now Coles is on the back foot. Will Coles now also ban the plastic bag? Or will they be seen as the environmental bad boys?

Aldi have never given out free plastic bags. Although Aldi are not exactly environmentally friendly. Over the past few weeks they have been trying to poison many of their customers with lead-infused taps. Good one Aldi. It gives “special buys” a whole new meaning.

3 Likes

This is because Germany banned plastic bags a long time ago, and Aldi has some weird culture of making every store overseas exactly like the German stores (except less brutal).

Going shopping for groceries in Germany for the first time was a harrowing experience. Didn’t take shopping bags with me so I was almost murdered by the granny in the queue behind me as I fumbled around looking for the purchasable cloth bags.

Glad I’ll be able to relive the experience in Woolies shortly.

1 Like

:joy:

It’s really not hard. Bring your own bags or pay 15c for the woolies green plastic bags in store.

6 Likes

No need to get hysterical about it
the Woolies system won’t be anything like Aldi. There will still be plastic bags at the checkout, you’ll just have to pay 5c for them (and they will be much higher quality bio-degradeable ones).

Works perfectly well overseas and in the parts of Australia where there is already a ban.

1 Like

I’m not, I think it’s a good idea.

1 Like