Supermarkets and Retail

I got an email blast from A Mart Sports advertising a ONE Day Storewide Sale for today. I was immediately suspicious as to what ‘storewide’ meant in this case, as it could mean everything in the store or something in every department. I checked the fine print and the best I could conclude was perhaps it was restricted to

Or perhaps just some brands or both.

If either was the case it can’t be a storewide sale under either usage of the word as not only did it not apply to everything in the store it didn’t include all their products e.g. sports equipment.

It turned out that the 20% off only applied to certain items while large sections of the inventory were not on sale. In the clothing area there were only certain brands on sale all of which I saw on sale last week for 30% off. Adidas clothing was not on sale despite appearing in the list.

A more accurate description of the sale would have been 20% off selected items.

I don’t know what the Australian system is but surely that would be false advertising?

Send it to The Checkout.

1 Like

Kmart often use to do 15% off storewdie an it was exactly that. I bought my first widescreen tv that way, a 55cm Sanyo CRT for about $500. Still works with a stb obviously good picture but it’s bloody heavy.

1 Like

Trade Secret’s rebranding to TK Maxx is happening at my local shopping centre. Didn’t bother to look in, because from what I understand it’s basically just a name change.

4 Likes

I lol’d seeing several articles and even spots on TV news about TK Maxx “coming to Australia” complete with Vox pops from people saying how great it was to have big brands at cheap prices. No mention that they were just rebranded Trade Secret outlets…

1 Like

Lol, that’s exactly what Trade Secret’s whole schtick was. They put these signs up and hey presto, everything’s changed.

The thing about the TK Maxx at my local shopping centre is that it acts as the main entrance to the whole shopping centre from the main road out front. When the TK Maxx closes at around 5pm, the shopping centre is cut off from the bus stops and you must enter via the car park, which is annoying because you have to walk an extra 500 metres to go to the supermarket. And you’re liable to get your bags searched if the beepers go off, which is really offputting.

I always thought it would invite a lot of shoplifting, because they can’t screen every shopper who walks in and out of the place when 80-90% of people just want to go to Woolies.

1 Like

Is that at Hillsdale shopping centre whereby Coles closed about 6 months ago only for Aldi to move in?

Indeed it is. Aldi will probably do a great deal of business, even when it’s jammed at the arse end of the shopping centre where Coles struggled to do any business.

Aldi is only going to take up half the width of the old Coles space, so they’re trying to lease out the other half to some other store. Will be the best thing that’s happened to that shopping centre in years.

I would imagine that’s why Coles probably hanged onto that store for so long to prevent Aldi, IGA or Dan Murphy’s or some other store opening in the space. Given that there is an Aldi at East Gardens just down the road it would be interesting to see how much business they actually do there. If I was WoW I would have nabbed the space and put a Dan Murphy’s or something similar in the space just to prevent Aldi from taking it. Maybe they tried but the rent was too high?

I’d never heard of either TK Maxx or Trade Secret before… but what would I know I shop at Lowes :stuck_out_tongue:

The Trade Secret at Chatswood was great when it opened some years ago but it went downhill. If the new stores are exactly the same as Trade Secret were last month I won’t be bothered going in - it’s a mishmash of rubbish.

At crazy prices!

http://www.tradesecret.com.au/product-recall/

LOL, these morons didn’t know that selling appliances without Australian plugs was illegal?

4 Likes

A European plug is also pictured, not a US plug!
But to answer your question you wouldn’t know it was illegal if you went to your local markets - endless stalls and shops selling shit with US or EU plugs that they’ve bought from AliExpress to resell. A little more embarrassing for a major chain though I suppose

Kogan also sell overseas game consoles (which they don’t tell you about), they just put an adaptor in the box.

As well as iPhones and other devices, there is a little disclamer that it’s coming from Kogan HK but nothing about the plugs.

Make that Alibaba as well, if you want to buy about a million of those rubbish fire hazard plugs.

They got nailed on the Analysts call today in regards to BIGW. They are spot on though, 4th strategic plan in 3 years, what makes this one so different from the rest? Brad couldn’t give a concrete answer, outlook is very much in doubt.

BIGWs only saviour is its heavy lease liabilities, billions. Closing it down, well Woolies simply can’t afford it.

Target and BIGW. Who will survive. Pretty clear one can’t.

1 Like

This was the same reason that Dick Smith and the rest of the Consumer Electronics division (Powerhouse & Tandy) wasn’t liquidated by Woolies upon its first strategic review in 2008, and why they doubled down and invested a massive amount of CAPEX into a total revamp of Dick Smith rather then selling it off or shutting it down (as we all know this failed). They also have no chance of selling Big W to private equity thanks to the infamy of what Anchorage did to Dick Smith. Big W stores are awful - very dated and tired compared to Kmart and Target and they’ve had some truly bizarre attempts at generating sales (e.g. ridiculously huge kids parties department that lasted all of 12 months, if that which took up a huge percentage of the shop floor) that haven’t worked out.

2 Likes

It can’t be done. The business just can’t be fixed, it’s clear there is nobody inside of Woolworths who can fix it.

The big question is, how long can it go on?